Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Here's some stats for a couple guys that once placed 3rd in MVP voting

20' George 1st Rd.... 15.3.. 7.4.. 4.0.. 40.9 ts

96' Pippen 2nd Rd... 15.3.. 8.3.. 5.2.. 41.6 ts
    96' Pippen Finals..... 15.7.. 8.3.. 5.3.. 42.9 ts

93' Pippen 1st Rd.... 15.3.. 4.0.. 5.0.. 45.3 ts

98' Pippen ECF........ 16.6.. 7.7.. 5.2.. 46.3 TS

^^^ very similar

So stop posting about how Pippen was 3rd in MVP - it means that exactly nothing.. Pippen is a Paul George-caliber player and one normal regular season doesn't change that

and there's MANY 4-game stretches where Pippen played how George is playing right now - it was standard for Pippen.. he averaged 16.9 on 47.3 ts for the entire 96' playoffs, so there were tons of horrific 4-game stretches in there
    Last edited by 3ball; 08-24-2020 at 05:25 AM.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Here's some stats for a couple guys that once placed 3rd in MVP voting

Agreed

Default Re: Here's some stats for a couple guys that once placed 3rd in MVP voting

Op on the money...as always.

Bron stans playing circus tricks their whole life

Wait.. Pippen was 3rd in MVP voting? Jesus, imagine having that as your 3rd option. Stacked beyond belief.

Shit, MJ's teammate was 3rd in MVP?

Gawd damn

And ppl surprised MJ won a lot? He better have

OP's mother is a slut whore.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

How weak was MJ's era if a scrub (as 1-9 ball and other MJ stains remind us daily) was placing 3rd in MVP and taking first and second place votes from peak Hakeem and peak Robinson (George has never gotten a first or second place vote in his career--Pippen did it multiple times) and was 94-68 ahead of prime Malone (MJ's biggest finals comp, right? ) and further still over prime Barkley (MJ's second biggest finals comp?) in all-NBA?

I have MJ 2nd all-time but maybe I have to reconsider it based on the information from his fans about how he played in such a weak era. Imagine LeBron in an era where Draymond was a superstar/MVP candidate/1st team all-NBA lead vote getter/etc. Instead Draymond is a 3rd/4th option in today's era.
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 08-24-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post
    How weak was MJ's era if a scrub (as 1-9 ball and other MJ stains remind us daily) was placing 3rd in MVP and taking first and second place votes from peak Hakeem and peak Robinson (George has never gotten a first or second place vote in his career--Pippen did it multiple times) and was 94-68 ahead of prime Malone (MJ's biggest finals comp, right? ) and further still over prime Barkley (MJ's second biggest finals comp?) in all-NBA?

I have MJ 2nd all-time but maybe I have to reconsider it based on the information from his fans about how he played in such a weak era. Imagine LeBron in an era where Draymond was a superstar/MVP candidate/1st team all-NBA lead vote getter/etc. Instead Draymond is a 3rd/4th option in today's era.
    Bruh, Penny got multiple 1st place votes over MJ when the Bulls won 72 games, who cares. It doesn't make Pippen a better player because he got some pity votes when the best player in the league retired. Pippen and George were both 3rd in a 2-man MVP race, and?

No one's saying that Pippen sucked, I do find issue in people using some random media member's MVP vote as an argument to put one player over another. And yes, Pippen's era was weak for elite forwards compared to 2010-20. He wasn't going up against Lebron/Kawhi/KD/Giannis/AD to make those 1st teams and the Centers only had one slot on that team and I've seen you compare Pippen's All-NBA 1st teams to Centers in his era to argue him over them as well.

With Barkley declining/getting injured, there was no real competition for that 2nd F spot on the first team before Grant Hill, who made 2nd team his rookie year and was 1st Team over Pippen by his 2nd year '97. Chuck was missing too many games, though I do think he still should have been 1st team over Pippen in '95 with the Suns winning 59 games despite KJ missing almost half the season. Bulls were 3 games above .500 and didn't win more than 3 in a row all year prior to MJ's return.

I just find it funny George’s been so bad even 3ball has to downgrade him to a “pippen level” player after arguing for him for weeks.

I like pippen but still would put peak George ahead of him. George better put up like 50 tomorrow to make up for these games

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    No one's saying that Pippen sucked, I do find issue in people using some random media member's MVP vote as an argument to put one player over another. And yes, Pippen's era was weak for elite forwards compared to 2010-20. He wasn't going up against Lebron/Kawhi/KD/Giannis/AD to make those 1st teams and the Centers only had one slot on that team and I've seen you compare Pippen's All-NBA 1st teams to Centers in his era to argue him over them as well.

With Barkley declining/getting injured, there was no real competition for that 2nd F spot on the first team before Grant Hill, who made 2nd team his rookie year and was 1st Team over Pippen by his 2nd year '97. Chuck was missing too many games, though I do think he still should have been 1st team over Pippen in '95 with the Suns winning 59 games despite KJ missing almost half the season. Bulls were 3 games above .500 and didn't win more than 3 in a row all year prior to MJ's return.
    80's were a golden age for forwards similar to the 2010's

Pippen's 18 on poor efficiency wouldn't compare to Alex English or Dantley getting 30 ppg on amazing efficiency... let alone the top tier forwards like Bird and Dr. J

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

yea i've found that funny.

When paul george throws up a dud... 15 points or whatever, we all lambast him but that was pippens baseline. Hence nobody really batted an eye.

PG13's expectations are simply way higher.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

If Player A=Player B but Player A is far more decorated in his era than Player B, the logical conclusion is Player B played in a much tougher era for top end talent. That is the implication of what you and your idol 1-9ball are arguing today. Really all the "Pippen sucks" stuff undermines MJ's era as incredibly weak but MJ stains fail to grasp that obvious implication.

You, as usual, demonstrate your lack of knowledge about the 90's along with a lack of basic intelligence. What part of "multiple years" do you fail to grasp?

I just find it funny George’s been so bad even 3ball has to downgrade him to a “pippen level” player after arguing for him for weeks.
    Good catch. That is one way to look at it. Another is 1-9ball and his chief poodles (both followed him to this thread--no surprise) have upgraded Pippen to George's level after spending months saying he was Draymond or Iggy. When you have no core beliefs or principles, such large flip flops and inconsistencies are possible.

PG is 29. The one all-NBA 1st/2nd team season he has ever had came just last year. This is peak PG...

One note: Penny came up earlier in the thread--a player MJ stains like to hype. He also finished 3rd in MVP in the year mentioned by mini-19 ball. The battle that year was for second place votes since MJ was near unanimous in first place votes. That went Robinson 54, Penny 21, Pippen 11, Payton 7 with no one else getting more than 3.
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 08-24-2020 at 03:07 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year

I don't remember Pippen ever being a -5BPM or negative in VORP though. Pippen was always a huge plus in those stats.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    80's were a golden age for forwards similar to the 2010's

Pippen's 18 on poor efficiency wouldn't compare to Alex English or Dantley getting 30 ppg on amazing efficiency... let alone the top tier forwards like Bird and Dr. J
    Dantley was a Melo while Pippen was well a Pippen. You only care for scoring anway, but I'd rather have Pippen on my team if Jordan is the first option than any SF not named Bird.