Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Default Re: Lebron is everything that's wrong with bball and society

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    I'm saying that socioeconomic issues are behind virtually all the problems plaguing black people in America (and Canada although here it's much better). Recent immigrants from the Middle East, China etc. who are also minorities quickly move higher up the ladder but black people don't. I don't know about the US but here in Toronto, most immigrants get mortgages and buy houses within 10 years of coming to this country. And most of them started from the absolute bottom, coming to Canada with $200 in their pocket and a dream. One of my best friends is a refugee from Afghanistan who came to Canada as a 12 year old and we went to high school together. Now he's an HVAC engineer.

I think the problem is that black people grow up in bad neighbourhoods that are hard to get out of and many leaders in their community are toxic... like Lebron. They don't need people to tell them they are victims. They need people to empower them to work hard, save money to move to better neighbourhoods, send their kids to college... Lebron should be out there telling kids not to do drugs, to do their homework and study hard not encourage them to protest. Young people don't even understand peaceful protest and lose their heads. That's why we're getting senseless violence where teenagers shoot or beat other teenagers.

Lebron is willing to give up his chance to move up in the GOAT discussions for this cause. I have nothing but respect for him.

Decent college freshman

I'm not saying Lebron is the cause of the problems. I'm saying he's not the solution.

I'm saying that socioeconomic issues are behind virtually all the problems plaguing black people in America (and Canada although here it's much better). Recent immigrants from the Middle East, China etc. who are also minorities quickly move higher up the ladder but black people don't. I don't know about the US but here in Toronto, most immigrants get mortgages and buy houses within 10 years of coming to this country. And most of them started from the absolute bottom, coming to Canada with $200 in their pocket and a dream. One of my best friends is a refugee from Afghanistan who came to Canada as a 12 year old and we went to high school together. Now he's an HVAC engineer.

I think the problem is that black people grow up in bad neighbourhoods that are hard to get out of and many leaders in their community are toxic... like Lebron. They don't need people to tell them they are victims. They need people to empower them to work hard, save money to move to better neighbourhoods, send their kids to college... Lebron should be out there telling kids not to do drugs, to do their homework and study hard not encourage them to protest. Young people don't even understand peaceful protest and lose their heads. That's why we're getting senseless violence where teenagers shoot or beat other teenagers.

What the FBI said about MLK. That was a different time. People shouldn't keep bringing up the past. These days most normal people consider MLK to be someone who brought people closer together and he's a hero to many people of all races today.

Local High School Star

I'm not saying Lebron is the cause of the problems. I'm saying he's not the solution.

What the FBI said about MLK. That was a different time. People shouldn't keep bringing up the past. These days most normal people consider MLK to be someone who brought people closer together and he's a hero to many people of all races today.
    America is a country of immigrants and most racial groups who migrated to America faced adversity and prejudice but it paled in comparison to the circumstance they were fleeing. Other immigrants were subjected to laws explicitly designed to prevent them from obtaining the American dream. I wonder if you immigrant friends would have left their country if they knew they would be denied rights, terrorized by the KKK , lynched and killed by people who felt they were not human. A lot of progress has been made but more is required and change is hard and uncomfortable. I appreciate hearing your honest opinions on the subject I think that civil dialog builds bridges and promotes unity instead of promoting it's us against them.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist View Post
    Your race baiting propaganda is not helpful.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCoolKid View Post
    Lebron is willing to give up his chance to move up in the GOAT discussions for this cause. I have nothing but respect for him.
    more like scared he'll be 3 for 10 after this season

Quote Originally Posted by insight View Post
    America is a country of immigrants and most racial groups who migrated to America faced adversity and prejudice but it paled in comparison to the circumstance they were fleeing. Other immigrants were subjected to laws explicitly designed to prevent them from obtaining the American dream. I wonder if you immigrant friends would have left their country if they knew they would be denied rights, terrorized by the KKK , lynched and killed by people who felt they were not human. A lot of progress has been made but more is required and change is hard and uncomfortable. I appreciate hearing your honest opinions on the subject I think that civil dialog builds bridges and promotes unity instead of promoting it's us against them.
    Amen to that last part brother!

Denying rights, KKK and all that is part of the past though. Immigrants today are mostly treated well and have plenty of opportunities to succeed. As an immigrant myself, I can attest to that. People have to look to the future. If you go a few hundred years back as opposed to one hundred and sixty years (pre-Civil War), all human races were getting enslaved after wars. That doesn't diminish anyone's suffering but the point is that people have to pick themselves up and have hope. Victim's mentality only makes people more miserable and stirs up hate.

he's gay

LeBron is the single greatest organism of all time.

Local High School Star

Are fans like LAL on suicide watch? The toll of being racist against blacks AND being a fan of a black-dominant sport ...... Just become a hockey fan instead and relieve yourself of this paradox.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    LeBron is the single greatest organism of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by bdonovan View Post
    Are fans like LAL on suicide watch? The toll of being racist against blacks AND being a fan of a black-dominant sport ...... Just become a hockey fan instead and relieve yourself of this paradox.
    Kobetard bro from europe.

National High School Star tanibanana's Avatar

All I know is that; the Jordans, the Kobes, the Magic, the Bird of the basketball world would still play given the opportunity in their prime if it was a playoff game/series. Good or bad, right or wrong, those men’s competitiveness goes beyond their opinion.

Local High School Star

Amen to that last part brother!

Denying rights, KKK and all that is part of the past though. Immigrants today are mostly treated well and have plenty of opportunities to succeed. As an immigrant myself, I can attest to that. People have to look to the future. If you go a few hundred years back as opposed to one hundred and sixty years (pre-Civil War), all human races were getting enslaved after wars. That doesn't diminish anyone's suffering but the point is that people have to pick themselves up and have hope. Victim's mentality only makes people more miserable and stirs up hate.
    Identifying and standing against racial inequality that still exist is not not having a victim mentality it's holding this country accountable to the principles it was created on. Jewish people are not accused of having a victim's mentality when they call out anti-semitism, why should blacks who demand equal treatment by law enforcement be perceived differently.