Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020/2021? off season

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...ors-nba-lakers

The problem that I have with this trade is that it gets messy for the Jazz’s future. Horford is clearly on the tail end of his career, and I don’t really see a reason to have Horford in the starting lineup at this point. So, while they would get a little extra room on the financial side this season, Utah would end up paying $53.5 million over the course of the 2021-22 and 2022-23 seasons for an aging bench player.

why wouldn't he be in the starting lineup? The contract would be hard to take on

Q: Why are we trying so hard to keep Jordan Clarkson? I get that he played well for the Jazz this season but couldn’t we spend that money on someone who isn’t so ball dominant and iso obsessed? — Jake

someone gets it!

Here’s the thing; the Jazz can’t spend that money on someone else. They only have that money to spend on Clarkson because they have his Bird rights. They’ll probably be over the cap before even getting to Clarkson so they can’t spend that kind of money elsewhere. Signing Clarkson is a huge priority, because if he walks away the Jazz have nothing to show for it and if he stays the Jazz are basically paying him with free money.
    that's the kind of thinking that gets teams in trouble. He has to go!

Personally, I think the Jazz should focus on spending the majority of the MLE, if not all of it, on a switchy wing player that can defend quicker players. I know that there are a lot of Jazz fans hoping the MLE will get used on Derrick Favors or a Favors type, but I think the Jazz can get that kind of player for cheaper and that the greater need is wing defense.
    The greater need is a starting PF. Anything after that is gravy. No Favors!!!

https://saltcityhoops.com/jazz-draft...e-guards-rise/

some pg's at least but their length won't excite the Jazz

It mentions Conley in that article but if you trade Rudy you are tanking. Need to trade Conley, Bojan, Davis and Ingles too. Need to anyway but that's beside the point. Gather picks, young players and assets and hope Mitchell or someone can carry the team someday. I'd dump the coach and Lindsey to while I was cleaning house!

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...layoff-Chances

A package of highlited by Bojan/Ingles/Davis for Hunter or Collins and pick?

https://thejnotes.com/2020/10/27/uta...g-rudy-gobert/

Are you going to be able to replace that in free agency or the trade market? Maybe, but frankly, probably not.

maybe?

Gobert scores a perfectly fine 15 or so points per game over the last few years, but his offensive game is not anything like what jives with the NBA today. The Jazz were the most accurate 3-point shooting team in the league last season (38.0 percent) but attempted the 10th-most. If they could increase their attempted threes by just a few per game without sacrificing too much efficiency, it would make for a much more potent offense.

How about increasing the number of dunks by Rudy? It's the most effective shot in the league. Offense isn't their problem

Turner also has a big thing that Gobert doesn’t — A willingness to shoot the three and a halfway decent shot from range. Taking 4.0 3-pointers per game this year, Turner sank 34.4 percent of those shots.

weak on the boards. They going to get a PF to rebound? Turner was also better the season before last. Has he peaked at 24?

This is the last year of Gobert’s deal, and he’ll enter unrestricted free agency in the 2021 offseason. Given all the good things we’ve covered on Gobert here — his rim protecting, defensive anchoring, and rebounding abilities — he’s going to have some offers. These might be offers the Jazz don’t want to or can’t match.

they can match any offer. If he's smart he leaves and doesn't give them a chance to match. Not ever winning in Utah

The Jazz did blow a 3-1 lead in the first round of the postseason, but you can’t exactly fault a team for a blown performance in 2020. Times were and are tough.

They had no PF. Lacked size. Lacked versatility. Lacked depth. Had 6 rookies. A coach that refuses to make changes. A front office that refuses to make the moves needed. I can fault them plenty

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...sets-Via-Trade

Ed Davis, Bojan, Conley and Ingles?

https://saltcityhoops.com/a-jazz-era...m-the-millers/

We also don’t know exactly what this will mean for the front office’s pursestrings. There’s a popular assumption out there that an organization run by a deep-pocketed fan will result in the Jazz blowing right past the luxury tax threshold. But the tax is limiting in ways that go beyond just its effect as a spending deterrent. Tax teams have fewer spending tools at their disposal, and rates for repeat taxpayers reach unsustainable levels pretty fast. Even if a particular owner is *willing* to spend into the tax, sometimes the right strategic move is to wait. The argument could be made that the Jazz would be better served to keep their payroll bill under control while Donovan Mitchell is still on his rookie deal and Rudy Gobert is relatively cheap, so that if they need to spend later, they can do so without fear of repeater penalties.

Like extending Okur or bringing back Clarkson and Favors

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-draft/20...raft-utah-jazz

Fresh out of high school, Stevenson played 3.5 years for the Utah Jazz to begin his long NBA career. He averaged 5.9 ppg, 1.9 rpg and 1.2 apg in 16.7 min during that time. His final year he jumped to an average of over 11 points per game and was showing flashed of being a solid bench/rotation player in the league. He also came in 2nd in the Dunk Contest. The Jazz ultimately traded him to the Orlando Magic for Gordan Giricek.

too bad Jerry didn't like him

I still remember where I was the day Koufos was drafted. I was a teenager and remember being pretty annoyed at yet another Kevin O’Conner draft philosophy. Koufos played 2 years in Utah but didn’t amount to a whole lot. He eventually progressed into a serviceable big man in the NBA and had himself a respectable career. In 2010, Koufos was packaged along with 2 first round picks to acquire Al Jefferson (The Conqueror!) from the Minnesota Timberwolves. But let’s not go into the Ty Corbin years too much. Tis a scary place.

he was good. Too bad Jerry didn't think so. Let's not get into Al's years!

Overshadowed by his fellow Dukie Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood came into the draft a little underrated in my opinion. I think most Jazz fans were pretty excited about this selection, and were justified by his career so far. He was in Utah for 4.5 years and was a consistent starter for much of that (until Donovan Mitchell came around). The smooth-shooting lefty averaged over 13 points during his time for the Jazz before being traded to Cleveland for Jae Crowder (and Derrick Rose for a brief moment).

should have never started. Might still be around. Too bad he went to Duke

https://saltcityhoops.com/clutch-sto...rrated-season/

It is no secret that many undervalue and overlook Gobert. Casual NBA fans are the biggest culprits. But sometimes even I catch myself second-guessing Gobert’s value. It’s easy to do. He’s a little awkward. He can’t handle the ball. He’s not an elite passer. He has no jumpshot. His stat-lines aren’t usually something that jumps off the page. Believe it or not, even on defense, there are times when Gobert looks a bit like Disney’s Bambi. For how much value Gobert actually brings to the game, for how hard he trains, and for how much he wants to win, it is unfortunate that so many fail to see Gobert for the great player he is.

it's understandable he's not appreciate outside of Utah but here he is certainly not appreciated here either

But I failed. Gobert was and is a complete monster. Game after game, all I could find were instances where Gobert saved the Jazz. Make no mistake, while the Jazz defense fell off quite a bit this year, Gobert remains one of the best players in the game. If anything, he improved on the defensive end this year. After the longest regular season in NBA history, the Jazz won 44 of 72 games. But I quickly learned that, without Gobert’s impact on defense, Utah would have lost more than a dozen of those wins. Time after time, in the final minutes of a close game, Gobert would get switched out to guard the opposing team’s best player, one-on-one. And without fail Gobert would come through with a huge stop.

same as it's been for over 6 years. Talk about Favors, Hayward, Snyder, Lindsey, Mitchell but all we've seen is they suck without Rudy carrying the load. 3rd most important person in franchise history without a doubt

LARRY KENT ANDERSON says:
    October 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
    Again thanks for all your time and effort in these posts.I am sure both Mitchell and Gobert have talked with the brass on their contracts. Think they will settle Gobert first to see where they are. They cant give both of them max contracts. Seen a lot of posts about trading Gobert but you will not get even value from it.So hope they can keep them both. Would like to see them pick up Favors and Burks. I think Burks could be had for a favorable contract.A lot depends if Clarkston stays. Davis for sure should go. Niang, Bradley and Goss could be trade bait. I like all the young guys from the Stars.
    They can certainly give both max contracts. Rather they want to give the full siper max is the question. Tank or give your best player what he wants and deserves. Why would Snyder like Burks now? Why go back to Favors in the corner when they fixed that especially when you have a young cheap option and have other needs?

I'm thinking Bojan os the guy to trade if they can get a PF for him that stretches the floor and defends.

Jazz fans won't get over it but Hayward might have had his best overall year last year. Doubt Boston really wants to trade him and doubt they'd want Bojan.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradec..._trade/7340437

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradec..._trade/7340447

PJ Washington looks like he might be a fit. Can shoot and pass a bit. Get Mitchell's buddy Graham. They already have Rozier and he'll be a FA after the season as will Zeller who can back up Rudy.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y55d3r4f

We know they liked Porter. Only played 14 games a year ago would be the concern there