Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020/2021? off season

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...ah-jazz-select

not one center. Need to look center first then pg

In 2011, the Jazz took Enes Kanter and Alec Burks with the third and 12th picks, respectively. Looking back, both players probably went a little higher than they should have, but both are still active and major contributors in the league — lasting talent identified by the Jazz.

major contributors?

Burke was a little over-hyped, but he is still in the league and has maintained pretty consistent numbers despite moving to multiple teams over his six years as a pro. There are plenty of lottery draft picks that don’t end up contributing as Burke has, and there are plenty that are quickly forgotten, but when the Mavericks recently needed a substitute player in the bubble, they didn’t hesitate turning to Burke.
    they can him him! He's no Neto!

Many in Jazz nation are still not done grieving over Dante Exum, the fifth pick in 2014 who has been plagued by injury since the Jazz selected him and never was able to get the time on the floor or the consistency in his health to develop into the player his explosive athleticism suggested he could be.

sucked!

I know that above I said this wasn’t about evaluating the team’s ability to deal, and it isn’t. Lyles’ potential was so high and believed to be untapped in a way that he was enough to sweeten the deal to get Mitchell, who is the Jazz’s best draft pick of the last 20 years. That’s about identifying talent and others agreeing on the potential in that player.

Lyles is talented. Still haven't found their PF!

Bradley could very well end up being better than Bryant, but so far this is looking like a miscalculation, especially considering how much of a contributor Hart is and that Bryant has started in more games than Bradley has played over the last three years.

They wanted Bradley. They didn't want those other guys. Sounds like they are giving up on Bradley too. They are idiots

Since the Jazz’s 2019 first-round pick was packaged in a deal to get Mike Conley, the most recent first-round pick we have to look at is Grayson Allen. He, too, was a part of the deal sent to Memphis the following year for Conley, and there is a chance that he continues to develop and turns into a reliable, regular rotational player who has a long career. I don’t see that happening, but that’s just one woman’s opinion.
    He's not going to get much better. Maybe a 6th man if all goes well

To put an even finer point on it, I’d say that the Lindsey era of Jazz draft picks have been better than that of the O’Connor era, which was mostly composed of players who never lived up to their pre-draft hype. Though some of Lindsey’s selections will take a little longer to see whether they end up being worth their draft position, he has hit and hit big more than once over the last few years.

Lindsey's high picks have sucked.

This year’s 23rd pick could end up being really important to the overall construction of the team, and if Lindsey, general manager Justin Zanik and the rest of the scouting staff can find someone that contributes regularly for the next few years, it will go a long way in not only the future success of the team but also in cementing Lindsey’s reputation for making good decisions.

Lindsey is overrated.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...dennis-lindsey

After four years of clashing with the coaching staff and doing nothing of particular note on the court, the Jazz shipped him off to the Orlando Magic. He’d later end up on the Dallas Mavericks’ 2011 championship roster, but he also had some off-court actions that were hard to ignore throughout his 13-year career.

He was good. Jerry didn't like him

In 2001, the Jazz selected Spanish point guard Raul Lopez, who had been compared to legendary Jazzman John Stockton. He stayed overseas for a year, missed the 2002-03 season after ACL surgery and then played just under two seasons with the Jazz before also being traded. He did fine as a backup point guard, but it was nothing over the top or overly impressive. In 2018 he was brought back to the Jazz as a coach to help out guard Ricky Rubio, but that relationship was about as long as Lopez’s playing time in Utah.

He was good too briefly. Too bad about his knees

There were numerous draft misses over the next couple years, with Curtis Borchardt as the No. 18 pick in 2002, Sasha Pavlovic taken 19th overall in 2003, Kris Humphries 14th overall in 2004 and Kirk Snyder taken 16th the same year. All four of them would become middling players at best over their careers, which started out with brief stints in Utah. The most that can be said is that Humphries will be remembered more for his three-month marriage to Kim Kardashian in 2011 than anything he did in the NBA.

all had their moments. Borchardt had injuries too.

When drafting a player, especially in the lottery, teams are really just hoping for contributors who will continue to grow and not hit an early ceiling. If you’re lucky, you get a star. If you’re really lucky, you get a superstar, but those don’t come around often. Williams was a star for the Jazz no matter what his departure from the team was like.

but he wasn't Chris Paul

If you’re going to have a draft pick not end up being a star, you at least don’t want their best years spent on the team that they’re traded to, or that they later sign with in the offseason. For example, it’s not easy for Jazz fans to watch Stevenson never rise to his potential in Utah and then go on to be a nice role player for the championship Mavs. Brewer’s best years, even though they weren’t eye-popping, were the ones he spent with the Jazz. That’s at least something.

He was good. Perfect fit with Okur

From 2007 to 2009, the Jazz’s first-round selections were Morris Almond (25th, 2007), Kosta Koufos (23rd, 2008) and Eric Maynor (20th, 2009), all of which were praised as having huge potential and were compared to some pretty elite players, but much like the first-round picks from 2002-04, none really amounted to anything, unless you factor in Almond breaking D-League records, which is of no help to an NBA team.

Koufos is good. Jerry din't like him. Maynor was as well. Injuries

The 2010 and 2011 drafts were arguably the best of the O’Connor draft era for the Jazz, which ended in 2012. The No. 9 overall pick of the 2010 draft was Gordon Hayward. Having steadily improved over the course of seven years with the Jazz before unceremoniously leaving in 2017, he was an excellent pick.

wasn't Paul George

His value can only be appreciated by teams willing to build around him, which the Jazz already have. He is valuable to the Jazz, and to no one else.
    Consider the fact that Covid has changed the landscape. I think players are going to do everything they can to sign two and three year deals right now. This has implications for Gober and Conley. The Jazz may get their prices down because of this.
    I like Hield, but another 6’4" guy is not what the Jazz need. I Like Grant, but the Jazz can’t afford him. I like the Jazz moving up in the draft, but what message is that to DM or RG? Still building?
    I like Bradley, but the Jazz can’t go into next season with him as the backup big. And Davis is done. I think the Jazz need to figure out how to get a big the caliber of Plumlee or Olynyk. Someone with a thicker body that can hold down the post and rebound.
    Is Joe Ingles ready to go back to Australia? That would give the Jazz some money to play with. Just a thought.
    Also, even if the Jazz improve, the West will be so tough that the Jazz will be struggling for a playoff spot (IMO). Fun times.

Posted by templeguardtm on Oct 4, 2020 | 5:14 PM
    He's valuable to any team that doesn't have someone better which is almost no one. Hield is bigger than what they have. Bradley should be the backup. Need a starting PF. After that you can think of the rest of the team. Bradley doesn't rebound and hold down the post? Ingles should be shopped too

With Joe on the decline and Royce not a consistent offensive threat, we need Bojan even if his defense isn’t great. Not sure what else we realistically offer that Denver would want.

Posted by Korumbian on Oct 4, 2020 | 6:21 PM
    except for game 7 it didn't look like they needed Bojan

I love the jazz but the FO has worked themselves into a corner.

Posted by Palmetto Bug on Oct 4, 2020 | 8:41 PM
    I see lots they can do. Rather they do it is the question. I doubt it.

Next year things could be huge, whether it be saying goodbye to Gobert or just moving things around. I think this year will be pretty quiet and I’ll be surprised if it isn’t.

Posted by TheNextGM on Oct 4, 2020 | 9:56 PM
    this is the time to do it. Next year they won't have the flexibility if they pay Mitchell and Gobert

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-offseaso...cy-buddy-hield

Utah could provide cap room to Sacramento with Mike Conley’s expiring contract, but can also give them a proven player that can play with Fox while also mentoring him. By Signing Hield Utah would get a player that would play off of Donovan Mitchell who would then take on the lead guard duties.

Bojan makes almost the same money. Conley for the PF they don't have

I think the answer to that question is that anyone outside of Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert is tradable on this team. And let’s be honest, there are scenarios where Gobert is tradeable if the price is right. But outside of those two players, Utah should consider finding ways to upgrade their talent using all of their assets.

should be scenarios where anyoe can be traded. Good luck getting better by trading Rudy though!

Would the Jazz be willing to take a big enough risk, like trading Bogdanovic to the say the Golden State Warriors, for someone like Isaac Okoro?

doubt they get better with a rookie

The Jazz cap situation isn’t set up to bring in a free agent this offseason, but a sign and trade for Grant could be the trick. Would it be worth it for Utah to trade Bogdanovic, who’s making 17 million, to sign Grant at something like $20 Million a year? Considering what we saw in the playoffs, it very well might be.

and Denver does this why?

Build around Donovan Mitchell and trade Rudy while his value is high.
    Stay in the middle of the pack in the West or try to contend, it will be decided this off season.

Posted by AdMan59 on Oct 4, 2020 | 4:47 PM
    Contend? Back to the lottery without Rudy

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...s-matthews-nba

First of all, Jazz Nation wants Derrick Favors back. That was never really in question, but as free agency nears, the fans yearning for Favors’ skillset is becoming more and more intense. At least half of the people who responded to me brought up Favors.

no thanks

Favors made $17.6 million this season and is on track for more. If the Jazz were to go after Favors with the mid-level exception, it wouldn’t just be a small pay cut for the the 10-year veteran. Since the MLE is likely to be less than the originally projected $9.7 million for the 2020-21 season, the Jazz would be offering less than half what Favors is set to make and to be perfectly honest, much less than he’s worth.

They need a starting PF. Have a cheap backup center that will only get better

Millsap has been an incredibly consistent producer even as his numbers slowly decline. He’s efficient and could offer a front court perimeter threat for the Jazz. But, Millsap is 35 and will be 36 in February, which will probably be the early days of the 2020-21 season.

He should be considered depending on the price

If the 2020-21 NBA season was going to be a normal season then Crowder would be looking at a huge raise from his current $7.8 million salary. But there aren’t a lot of teams out there with money, and with the salary cap likely to stay the same or take a dip, the MLE could get Crowder back into a Jazz uniform.

please no! Front office already said they wanteed guys that defend and space the floor. Not Crowder!

If anyone, including the Utah Jazz, wants to sign Wesley Matthews it will mean that he doesn’t want to be in Milwaukee. He has a player option for next season so it’s totally up to him.

starting PF, then veteran 3rd center if Davis is traded and 2nd of 3rd vet pg/combo guard if Conley is traded. Look to move Bojan and Ingles as well. Depending on what the team looks like after all that than maybe other moves.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...y-nba-playoffs

one PF who they can't get. Try again

https://saltcityhoops.com/jazz-draft...non-lotto-big/

Poku will take time to develop in the NBA, but his upside is sky-high. There’s a low chance he falls as low as 23 on draft night but if he does, the Jazz should absolutely take a gamble on Poku.
    sounds like someone they should try to move up to get if they can. Need a center they can start developing

Despite all the positives, there’s a reason why there’s a decent chance Smith will be available when the Jazz pick. His decision-making is often poor and he does not have great playmaking chops. He can be turnover prone (1.7/game in 2020) and struggles to read defenses. Despite these weaknesses, I think the Jazz development staff can help him read the game better and develop into a solid rotation player in the NBA. Or maybe I just have pleasant memories of other NBA bigs who wore goggles like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Horace Grant and, of course, Thurl Bailey.

they other guy sounds like a better fit though neither have the great length the Jazz are obsessed with

Xavier Tillman – Michigan State (Junior)
    need a 5 or at worst a 1/combo guard

The Lakers’ size may have many teams re-thinking the recent trend toward small-ball, but there is still a lot of value in having a capable small-ball center on the roster. Tillman could fulfill that role for the Jazz and will likely be a rotation contributor in the NBA for whichever team selects him. Despite his poor shooting and finishing, Tillman’s defense and basketball IQ make him an intriguing prospect. I disagree with the big boards that have him listed in the 2nd-round and think he will be a steal if he falls anywhere near that low.

they have small ball centers. Need a 5

Despite his injury history and lack of athleticism, the Jazz could really use a stretch four like Tillie who provides great spacing on the outside and solid defense. I think most analysts are underrating Tillie’s upside.

they could but need a vet there

Unfortunately, Nnaji may lack the most vital skill for a modern NBA center; he is a poor rim protector. He only averaged 0.9 blocks per game, low for a starting center. He’s often late on rotations in help defense and late at contesting shots, which often led to goaltending calls against him. When defending smaller players, he doesnt’ always take advantage of his length and chooses poor angles for defending. Beyond his defensive weaknesses, he also had a very poor AST/TO ratio of .39. While Nnaji projects to be available for the Jazz at 23 and his offensive skills are compelling, there will likely be better options available.

no

That said, Stewart has a lot of flaws. He shot only .250 3P%. His jumper doesn’t look broken but it’s not fluid and he shows hesitation when shooting from outside. He also has a strange tic where he often needs to double tap his toe before releasing a shot. Stewart’s strength and motor can be weaknesses, he is full-steam ahead and tends to get into bully ball, which results in him getting called for the charge often. He also has poor footwork, he shuffles his feet, switches his pivot foot and sometimes leaves his feet with nowhere to go, which leads to turnovers. Finally, Stewart is a horizontal athlete who struggles vertically. He doesn’t have great vertical athleticism which leaves his game very ground bound and, ultimately, limits his ceiling. I don’t think he’s an NBA center but those who are higher on him believe he could develop the skills to compliment his natural length and power. I’ve seen some compare him to Derrick Favors, but I don’t agree with that assessment.

has the length the Jazz love

I really like Azubuike as a potential Gobert-style player. In catch-all metrics, Azubuike was one of the best NCAA players in 2020. But he’s the kind of old-school center who seems to be fading out of today’s NBA.

Rudy type length!

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2...aft-prospects/

Does that mean a 3-and-D wing? A center who can both protect the paint and stretch the floor? Those types certainly seem to populate most Jazz wish lists — which doesn’t mean that Lindsey couldn’t surprise us all and select a point guard or power forward if he likes someone from those positions.

should mean a center. after that a pg. They already have young guys developing everywhere else

only one guy here fits the bill. Try again

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat...ll-rudy-gobert

How aggressive will the Jazz be this offseason?

same as usual. Not much will change. lots of talk little action

This isn’t a rebuilding franchise any more

haven't been since Rudy ruined their tanking plans almost 6 years ago

But for all those moves, Utah found themselves losing in the first round again. Would having Bogdanovic for that playoff run have helped? Absolutely. It likely would have been enough to get them past the first round. Beyond that, who knows.

anyone actually watch? Offense wasn't their problem

Run it back with the same core and improve on the edges: Very likely
    as I said. Lots of talk little action'

There is no question that Gobert has been one one of the driving forces, if not the driving force, that has led the Jazz to multiple playoff runs. He raises Utah’s floor to perpetual playoff contender. Gobert has his limitations, but his skillset of defensive anchor and P&R big will reliably win games for Utah year after year.
    he's the only reason they haven't sucked

And that’s what puts the Jazz and Gobert in a tough spot. Gobert has proven his value and has shown improvement on his game every year. But there are legitimate questions about Gobert’s limitations. If a majority of Utah’s cap is dedicated to Gobert, and his specific play style, it could hamstring Utah’s chances to get over the hump and go all the way in the playoffs.

he won't be the problem. Coaching and front office will as always

Having Gobert locked in would also mean they can feel better about keeping Mike Conley for another run. It would be much easier to find improved bench players than it would be to find an upgrade on Conley and his contract.

They need a starting PF not bench players!

In games 1 and 2, minus Mike Conley, Donovan Mitchell shot 61% from the field, 54% from three and scoring 43 points per game with 7.5 assists and 5 rebounds.

and Murray scored how many against them?

And it’s not the end of the world for Utah to make some of these trades, either. To win a title, Utah needs to gain every advantage they can with the players they have. There’s no marquee free agent coming to the Jazz, so Utah needs to do the the best they can to maximize on the talent of Donovan Mitchell. Could they find pieces that, though maybe not the same level as Gobert, unlock other elements of his game by spreading the floor?

welcome to the lottery without Rudy!

Trade core pieces for draft picks: Unlikely
    Need vets. Had 6 rookies who didn't play and no PF and little size or D. Was a big problem

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-draft/20...n-from-arizona

Will He Still Be Around At #23?

not a center

He is ready to contribute on day one with his defense, length, and athleticism. He has an NBA ready body and can finish through contact, helped by playing Aussie rules football and rugby growing up.
    He was the 3rd option on his Arizona team. But he is very capable of being a lead scorer.
    He finished his last 10 games going 14/30 from 3. He can definitely shoot the ball.
    After workouts I believe he will rocket up the draft board. He is too good to slide that far back.

Posted by Matt_Grbac on Oct 12, 2020 | 2:17 PM
    only Mitchell has been close to contributing from day 1 under Snyder and he struggled out of the gate. Draft for the Stars. Get vets for the Jazz

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-draft/20...jazz-nba-draft

With that wingspan he is more of a 4 small ball 5. Need a center

Of course, if you keep Clarkson, we wont have a lot of passing off the bench anyway, so he can take his time to learn.
    That’s the thing with Clarkson. He makes building a half decent bench a lot easier.

Posted by Big_B on Oct 13, 2020 | 10:33 AM
    whoever they draft shouldn't be playing and hopefully Clarkson won't be around either

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-draft/20...rom-washington

For context on his size, McDaniels is 6’9” and 200 pounds. Donovan Mitchell, who doesn’t receive enough recognition for his size, came into the draft at 6’1” and about 220 pounds. McDaniels has to show a work ethic and a drive that can overcome that.

not a center!

Never say never, but McDaniels would probably not contribute to the Jazz right away. But Utah has invested in the Salt Lake City Stars for developing players just like McDaniels. McDaniels would likely spend a lot of time developing with the Stars to gain better feel for the game and develop.

this should apply to everyone unless they prove otherwise

Here’s one trade suggestion that sends Bojan and #23 pick for Wiggins and the #2 pick. I don’t see why GSW would do this trade but it was suggested by a GSW fan site, so maybe it’s possible (usually fan sites are totally lopsided towards the home team).
    https://bluemanhoop.com/2020/10/13/g...-draft-pick/4/
    Wiggins is a lesser player than Bojan but he’s still good. There are lots of good options at the #2 pick. Biggest downside is Wiggin’s salary, which is very large and long.
    GSW also owns MIN’s unprotected FRP next season, which will likely be a lottery pick (even if they can land a win-now player for the #1 pick).
    I don’t know enough about MIN’s roster to know who would be worth trading for (Malik Beasley? Covington?) but the #1 pick is certainly valuable.
    I also could see potential trades with either MIN or GSW that involve Gobert instead of Bojan. E.g., Edwards goes #1 to MIN, then GSW trades the #2 pick, Wiggins, and MIN’s future unprotected pick for Gobert (and probably another GSW FRP pick or two). UTA then selects Wiseman to replace Gobert.
    And if we’re doing hypotheticals, let’s go totally whacky and trade Bojan and #23 to GSW for Wiggins and #2 and Gobert to MIN for #1 and Covington (other picks or players may have to be involved in either trade). UTA would obviously take a step back next season but could have a starting lineup of DM, Edwards, Wiggins, Covington, and Wiseman which would be entertaining (has any team ever had the #1 and #2 pick on the same team the year they were drafted?). The bench would include Conley, Ingles, O’Neale, and a MLE FA, which would be much more depth than this season. The jazz’s next 6-9 years would have a core of DM, Edwards, and Wiseman, all on reasonably affordable contracts (rookie deals and extensions) which seems like a championship foundation. There’s no guarantee either Edwards or Wiseman turn into all-stars, but both look like very good prospects.
    EDIT–I forgot Covington was traded to HOU, so the above doesn’t work but I’m sure there’s another MIN player(s) to replace him with.

Posted by Palmetto Bug on Oct 14, 2020 | 3:26 PM
    4 years of Wigging no thanks!!! Championship core without Rudy. You mean ping pong balls!

They really can’t afford to miss on this pick. If I was going to swing for the fences I would trade down for 2 early second round picks. Swing for the fences that Killian Tillie can stay healthy. Swing for the fences on the Juco player Jay Scrubb. Do both or get a guy that falls and swing for the fences on one of them. There might be someone that falls to 23 that is who the Jazz were hoping to get. Someone that they had rated 5-7 slots better on their big board. If so great, take that guy. This draft is not amazing for surefire star players, but I do think it is really deep. Having two chances instead of just one could really pay off.

Posted by oregonjazzfan on Oct 14, 2020 | 7:26 PM
    can't miss?