Default What power tools mfr do you guys recommend?

I've slowly been attaining some DIY-tier home power tools over the last year since purchasing my home and I ended up going with Ryobi 40v ecosystem for their brushless trimmer and blower. I've got some acreage and needed the 40v for the power and 4ah for length of time and it was at a decent pricepoint.

I also have a troybuilt bronco riding mower with 42 cut -- kohler 19hp courage engine.

As for handtools -- I got crap. Some cheapo harbor freight drill i paid 30 bucks for that has been doing its thing but i'm at the point where I may want to get something better.

I noticed ryobi 18v series is pretty big.. from augers to foggers they've got quite the selection but anyone have any other recommendations for similar level tools? I'm no professional or woodworker -- just need something the average home owner would use.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: What power tools mfr do you guys recommend?

If you are fixing stuff around the house then Ryobi is good enough. They have super cheap bundles that will get you through most projects. Same thing for harbor freight. It is a good alternative if you need something you will seldom use.

I have various handheld, cordless devices from DeWALT... drill, impact drill, hammer drill, reciprocating saw, circular saw, and grinder.

The impact drill is ****ing amazing and has taken a beating. The hammer drill is amazing. The regular drill still works but the chuck has started to fail after years of abuse, the reciprocating saw kicks ass and has never given an issue and the grinder is amazing. Oh!! also... my hammer drill is corded... almost forgot that. Anyways...

The only one that I would say does not impress me in the slightest is the circular saw and I might have bought a cheaper one at the time, I don't know... or maybe handheld battery powered circular saws just don't pack enough power.

Overall, my DeWALT products have absolutely ****ing kicked ass, taken a beating and still kept on... they're very durable. I've had most of them for about 6 or 7 years... 2 of them only the past couple... they also make massive ass batteries you can buy now so your shit lasts forever.

edit: changed 10 years to 6 or 7... thought it was 10 but clearly not as the brushless line didn't get released until 2013 quick google check. Most of what I have is brushless and I think that made a massive difference in durability.
    Last edited by Shogon; 09-04-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Also this shit goes on sale every black friday... at home depot, at a minimum. Probably lowe's and elsewhere also, probably amazon, who knows... you can get good deals.

I mean if you're only going to touch them once a year or even less you should probably go a cheaper route with a lesser brand but if you use them with any regularity, dewalt isn't going to fail you and they're worth the investment imo.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post
    I have various handheld, cordless devices from DeWALT... drill, impact drill, hammer drill, reciprocating saw, circular saw, and grinder.

The impact drill is ****ing amazing and has taken a beating. The hammer drill is amazing. The regular drill still works but the chuck has started to fail after years of abuse, the reciprocating saw kicks ass and has never given an issue and the grinder is amazing.

The only one that I would say does not impress me in the slightest is the circular saw and I might have bought a cheaper one at the time, I don't know... or maybe handheld battery powered circular saws just don't pack enough power.

Overall, my DeWALT products have absolutely ****ing kicked ass, taken a beating and still kept on... they're very durable. I've had most of them for about 10 years... 2 of them only the past couple... they also make massive ass batteries you can buy now so your shit lasts forever.
    DeWalts have always been great tools. If you will use them I think you will get your money’s worth out of the higher price point. They last forever and are just nicer.

Also this shit goes on sale every black friday... at home depot, at a minimum. Probably lowe's and elsewhere also, probably amazon, who knows... you can get good deals.

I mean if you're only going to touch them once a year or even less you should probably go a cheaper route with a lesser brand but if you use them with any regularity, dewalt isn't going to fail you and they're worth the investment imo.
    Yes. At around Black Friday I see those big packages. You can get set up with most of your stuff for around 500$ and it should last a very long time.

Oh I do like dewalt... it's the brand my father in law recommends but it is IMO a tier above in pricepoint as well.

I purchased the ryobi expand-it edger and pole saw attachments for my 40v power head an hour or so ago. I will keep an eye out on some good hand tool bundles this black friday as i'm not really in much of a rush.

A lot of those bundles from what I am seeing have crap I wont use like a flash light or crappy hand vac... i'll wait and see.

RYOBI sucks.

take the advice from a contractor, invest in a good brand name like milwaukee.

The impact drill is ****ing amazing and has taken a beating. The hammer drill is amazing. The regular drill still works but the chuck has started to fail after years of abuse, the reciprocating saw kicks ass and has never given an issue and the grinder is amazing. Oh!! also... my hammer drill is corded... almost forgot that. Anyways...

Overall, my DeWALT products have absolutely ****ing kicked ass, taken a beating and still kept on... they're very durable. I've had most of them for about 6 or 7 years... 2 of them only the past couple... they also make massive ass batteries you can buy now so your shit lasts forever.

edit: changed 10 years to 6 or 7... thought it was 10 but clearly not as the brushless line didn't get released until 2013 quick google check. Most of what I have is brushless and I think that made a massive difference in durability.
    Either Milwaukee or DeWalt will do wonders for those. I have Milwaukee and the drills are absolutely amazing.