Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Inherited my dad's home.....what should I do?

So here's the deal my great loving dad passed away a few years ago and I inherited a home that is completely paid off with no mortgage. It's a pretty big home coming in at 2800sf and I am single and no kids. I am currently working full-time in a professional industry and I make decent money with no mortgage and no car payment. Not very much bills.

I am living in this house right now and have become quite tired of living there due to the reminder of my father.

The question is......should I cash out on this home with has a value of well over 500k and use that as a down payment on a bigger luxury home?

Keep it since it has value and rent it? Renting it would give me an extra 2k a month which puts my boosts my income.

This is a weird predicament since my real life friends' opinions vary. Some say I should cash out and rent a home. Some say rent and get a small apartment.

Cashing out....rent a condo and buy a Ferrari? Joking.

Your opinions are considered. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Luka Doncic; 09-23-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

Default Re: Inherited my dad's home.....what should I do?

I say rent the home. You'll get extra income. Your house will most likely increase in value. Cash out later, retire and pay all cash for a home.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Sell and buy a sky rise loft/condo which is much more fitting for a bachelor w/o kids

or rent it out and do that...although that takes work, but if you have no family you probably have the time needed.

Single male only need 2 bedrooms really...master bed and an office...then a huge living area/kitchen...when I was a bachelor I had one and absolutely loved it. Only downside was a pricey HOA fee, mine was $500/month but they can get much higher depending on the building.

What drives you in life?

These two above me are telling you that renting the home is an option, but unless you are super money driven, you shouldn't do that.

And you shouldn't do that for two reasons... renters **** shit up and way way more importantly... debt sucks.

And it sounds like if you rent it out, you're going to be renting an apartment or buying another place and going into debt.

DEBT SUCKS.

BILLS SUCK.

DEBT SUCKS.

BILLS SUCK.

DEBT SUCKS.

BILLS SUCK.

If you are unhappy where you are at, I certainly understand that, but you should sell the place and move on. Sell it and use it to buy something comparable or scale down even. DO NOT GO FURTHER INTO DEBT. DEBT SUCKS. DEBT SUCKS. DEBT SUCKS. DEBT SUCKS.

You never know when shit could go south, and being out of debt is the best way to ensure a noose isn't around your neck waiting for you to drop. DEBT SUCKS. YOU'RE ALREADY SOMEWHAT/MOSTLY FREE FROM THE SYSTEM. DON'T GO BACK INTO IT. DEBT SUCKS.

Besides, if you are leaving to escape it, renting out is not going to let you escape it. You're still going to have to pay the taxes and you're still going to have to go over there when shit breaks. You will still be reminded of your dad. Granted, every once in a while isn't the same as on the daily, but... DEBT SUCKS. DEBT SUCKS! IT SUCKS! ALL THESE PEOPLE POSTING ARE DEBT SLAVES.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

If you are renting I hear Loney knows of a potential tenant...

In all seriousness though I would say if you were staying in the area then rent it... but shogun has a point, it’s counterproductive if you are trying to get away from that baggage. Just sell it.

Renting out a home is a horrible investment imo. You should only be renting out condos.

This is what I would do. Sell for 500k. Put a downpayment on a condo to live in. Let's say that's 100k.

You have 400k left. Put down payments on 4 condos and rent out the 4 condos. You may not have a huge positive monthly cash flow, but you'll be building up your assets.

Also, dont forget. A big positive cash flow isnt the best thing as it will go into your annual income which means you'll get taxed more.

What you should be doing is having a very small positive cash flow on your investments until you retire. The key is you want to stay below the next tax bracket. Higher bracket of income = higher taxes.

In summary, sell your home and get 5 condos. Live in 1, rent out 4.

Keep in mind that there may be some kind of Financial Crisis coming up in the very near future. If you have no debts that's excellent.

Renting out seems like a big ass hassle. You have to meet with a ton of people, hope you picked the right one that won't f*ck you over. Then when they move you have to do it all over again.

Rent it on Airbnb.

I have experience in this field and I am willing to provide assistance as a consultant. I can lend the equity of my own account as a five-star host and my plethora of great reviews to your operation.

In fact, I’ll even apply a “Friends and Family and ISH Posters” discount to the normal cost of my services.

Turn it into a bar or restaurant.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Sell it, buy a duplex near a military base(you can go to their command if they're not paying rent, dirty, etc), live in one side and rent out the other. Use the rest on a down payment for when the real estate market dips and you'll be profit a couple hundred grand in a couple years if you play your cards correctly.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Sell it.

Invest half in the stock market. Use the rest to pay off any debt you have and put a down payment on another home, buy a nice car

Now you've got assets and if you pick good stocks you'll have a great return without the hassle of renting homes out.

Not sure where you live but interest rates right now are driving buyers to overpay for homes. I'd sell it, pay off any personal debts and then invest the rest. Stick your money in a conservative mutual fund with modest annual growth.

Renters will **** it up

Local High School Star KennyPowers's Avatar

Can I have it?