Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When is everyone planning to retire? Using IRAs? 401k? Self-directed investing?

Banking on Social Security pay out when you hit 67

What are we doing as a bball fam to support comfortable retirement. Tips? Ideas? Let's here em and this is a PSA: Start saving now!

Default Re: When is everyone planning to retire? Using IRAs? 401k? Self-directed investing?

Spending it all now and killing myself at 70.

Default Re: When is everyone planning to retire? Using IRAs? 401k? Self-directed investing?

FIRE by 40

retire?? Bitch I'll never be able to retire. I'll be working until I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by keep-itreal View Post
    Nah son, start that 401k and budget. Build that portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by starface View Post
    Spending it all now and killing myself at 70.
    YOLO my GUY

Even if you have $20,000,000 in the bank... don't ever retire. Don't ever retire unless you are 100% sure that you are going to get up with a purpose every single day and stay active in spirit. You don't even have to be doing something physical necessarily... but that spirit has to get moving.

If you retire and you are just ready to chill, chances are good you'll be dead within 5 years. I mean, unless you're ready to die, then yeah lol... do it.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

This

I work in a field where I can continue to do what I'm doing well into my 70s. but I do have a exit plan well before that. My wife and I file together and our effective tax rate is pretty significant. I have faith in my investments and would rather get taxed now despite what I said. We opted to invest through a Roth 401k and cash out tax-free in the future. We're also ineligible for a Roth IRA otherwise we would have split.

Both the wife and myself will be earning a municipal pension when we retire (she works for a school system, I work for a town), plus I'm putting money in a 457 deferred comp plan which I'll be maxing my annual contribution to in a few years. I'm 39 now and I'll be in the six-figure income range by 2023. On top of that, I'll probably keep my career until I'm 62-63 and then take an easygoing part-time gig when I retire. Something that will afford the wife and I enough time to travel.

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post
    Even if you have $20,000,000 in the bank... don't ever retire. Don't ever retire unless you are 100% sure that you are going to get up with a purpose every single day and stay active in spirit. You don't even have to be doing something physical necessarily... but that spirit has to get moving.

If you retire and you are just ready to chill, chances are good you'll be dead within 5 years. I mean, unless you're ready to die, then yeah lol... do it.
    Yeah, totally... better mindset is to have the ability to retire if you want to.. less stress and still have a purpose.. working part time could be a better option

Don't you have kids or something

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I am retired ... age 57 when I did it..
    401 / pension and now SS.

401 had to recoup after Bush failure with our economy / but Obama pretty much recoup'ed 80% of what I lost during Bush Adm.
    wife still works .. she thinks she has to line the pockets of the kids, who can't stand on their own feet

probably 55, my 401k and funds looking healthy

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    401 had to recoup after Bush failure with our economy / but Obama pretty much recoup'ed 80% of what I lost during Bush Adm. / and Trump has brought my 401k to an all-time high