Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Any drummers or general musicians on the board?

So I'm learning to play the drums on my own and one of the songs I've used as my motivation for many years has been "Wipeout" and this is so difficult to master in my opinion without making mistakes in between.

For the drummers of the board, is this actually a hard song to master? It basically follows the same two or three patterns throughout the song as opposed to various tempo changes like a typical Rush song, so I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for failure by trying to master this song first. What say you guys??

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Any drummers or general musicians on the board?

I’m a terrible guitar player who can hide it a little on the few songs I have been working at playing forever. I know some drummers who don’t suck and it times I wish I’d started on that but deep down I just envy old blues guitar players.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    So I'm learning to play the drums on my own and one of the songs I've used as my motivation for many years has been "Wipeout" and this is so difficult to master in my opinion without making mistakes in between.

For the drummers of the board, is this actually a hard song to master? It basically follows the same two or three patterns throughout the song as opposed to various tempo changes like a typical Rush song, so I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for failure by trying to master this song first. What say you guys??

Aside from the two drummer setup. There are various little rhythm shifts within the measures. As a first song I guess it's tough.

Disclaimer: I don't play drums.

I passively try and practice harmonica every once in a blue moon when the urge strikes.

Sounds like the ISH blues band will be coalescing in no time!

<--- drummer

I messed around with Wipeout once with a friend's band and keeping the tempo steady during the tom sections is hard, plus you need killer wrist/stick coordination. You gotta play off the bounce a lot so you don't tire out. Not an easy song if you're a beginner.

If you're learning to play and you want to listen along with something, go for AC/DC. Seriously, Swiss watches don't keep time as good as Phil Rudd does. You don't have to concern yourself too much with technique or a lot of hi-hat play. Drumming is all about time, tempo and knowing how to count.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by starface View Post
    I passively try and practice harmonica every once in a blue moon when the urge strikes.

Sounds like the ISH blues band will be coalescing in no time!

Im in if we can call it "Bipartisan" and alternate ripping both sides of the political spectrum between 13 minute blues/rock ballads about women who we dated for 4 months in college.

yes, i beat girl's cheeks like they're drums

Just practice it at a slower pace and slowly bring the pace up when you feel more comfortable with it. It's the same for most instruments really. No such thing as failure if you really want to do it. It's just a matter of coordination, technique and muscle memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Im in if we can call it "Bipartisan" and alternate ripping both sides of the political spectrum between 13 minute blues/rock ballads about women who we dated for 4 months in college.

Okay, but for our logo we have to underline the Bi part to curry favor with the LBGTQZ+! community. Even though our groupies will remain exclusively female.

This gon be BIG

Quote Originally Posted by Derka View Post
    <--- drummer

I messed around with Wipeout once with a friend's band and keeping the tempo steady during the tom sections is hard, plus you need killer wrist/stick coordination. You gotta play off the bounce a lot so you don't tire out. Not an easy song if you're a beginner.

If you're learning to play and you want to listen along with something, go for AC/DC. Seriously, Swiss watches don't keep time as good as Phil Rudd does. You don't have to concern yourself too much with technique or a lot of hi-hat play. Drumming is all about time, tempo and knowing how to count.
    Yeah I've been listening to a lot of easier stuff too to start off with. Problem I have is ensuring I play it the same way over and over again. Timing and practice I suppose. This is just a hobby for me, but I get frustrated if I can't get it right.

Been playing along to this live version of Mississippi Queen. Love the drumming in this video:

As a kid I wanted to learn to play the drums but later on switched to the guitar. I've played in garage and bar bands throughout the years. Not a drummer but yeah that song isn't for beginners, like Derka said, might want to start with a bit more basic stuff and AC/DC is an excellent choice to get your timing and chops down, Rudd is an excellent drummer to learn from.

Then when you get a little more advanced, try this one out...

https://youtu.be/65XSHM3jlAY
    Last edited by TheMan; 10-01-2020 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Yeah I've been listening to a lot of easier stuff too to start off with. Problem I have is ensuring I play it the same way over and over again. Timing and practice I suppose. This is just a hobby for me, but I get frustrated if I can't get it right.

Been playing along to this live version of Mississippi Queen. Love the drumming in this video:

That's a pretty odd performance by West, in the original song, all his licks are blues based and in the live version, he's doing pull offs, playing with his wammy bar and dive bombs because it's during the late 80s and that style was all the rage, the hair metal years, hahaha...sounds forced. Even his guitar, without a headstock, is strictly from that era

That version is...I dunno. If I'm gonna learn Mississippi Queen, I'd go for the studio version. Slightly less BPM, the tempo is much more consistent. Once you're in that song's groove, you can have some fun with the fills however you like.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    That's a pretty odd performance by West, in the original song, all his licks are blues based and in the live version, he's doing pull offs, playing with his wammy bar and dive bombs because it's during the late 80s and that style was all the rage, the hair metal years, hahaha...sounds forced. Even his guitar, without a headstock, is strictly from that era
    Dude was coked up big time here.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

I'm the best Rock Band 4 drummer in my house, but my wife and kids don't let me play the drums....so guitar it is. Everyone wants to be the drummer.