Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Is Jimmy Butler more talented than any wing MJ faced in the 90’s?

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy View Post
    He is if you never saw that era.

Would throw in Grant Hill too. Short run, but a great player all the same.

Mitch is another underrated player who was good on both ends. Could post up, shoot and lock you up defensively.
    Yup... almost forgot Stockton. Totally different players, but stockton is generally seen as a top ~30 player all time. Maybe 40 at worst. Is Butler that high? Not even close. I cant even imagine what John would do in this spaced out PnR heavy league. It would be absurd, he's literally the all time leader in assists AND steals in a very tough physical era. Could probably throw Mark price and kevin johnson in the mix too. KJ would destroy these running lanes... he was one of the most explosive little man slashers ever and he did it with no spacing against MONSTER centers.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

OP is a 15 year old idiot that never heard of Nique. Don't blame me for him getting unbanned.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    OP is a 15 year old idiot that never heard of Nique. Don't blame me for him getting unbanned.
    Butler is the better defender and passer. That gives him the edge over Nique imo

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Clyde and Reggie were slightly better. Gary Payton and Penny are about equal.
    How the hell was Reggie better? Butler is the better scorer, rebounder, defender, and passer. The only thing Clyde has over Jimmy is athleticism, that's it. Lmao at Penny and Gary comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball IQ View Post
    How the hell was Reggie better? Butler is the better scorer, rebounder, defender, and passer. The only thing Clyde has over Jimmy is athleticism, that's it. Lmao at Penny and Gary comparisons.
    Gary Payton is a great comparison. Basically a smaller more athletic jimmy butler. Similar style player, GP is probably even tougher. You think Butler would lead the sonics farther than they ever went ~ ie the Finals? You think Butler beats MJ? You think Butler averages 24 ppg on 120+ ORTG from 1990 to 2002 like Reggie did in some of the most brutal defensive environments ever? I'm not saying they're way better, it's all slight because Butler is a great player. But yes I'd take Reggie over him, and Payton is a coin flip.

Yup... almost forgot Stockton. Totally different players, but stockton is generally seen as a top ~30 player all time. Maybe 40 at worst. Is Butler that high? Not even close. I cant even imagine what John would do in this spaced out PnR heavy league. It would be absurd, he's literally the all time leader in assists AND steals in a very tough physical era. Could probably throw Mark price and kevin johnson in the mix too. KJ would destroy these running lanes... he was one of the most explosive little man slashers ever and he did it with no spacing against MONSTER centers.
    Bingo. And clowns on here can't make fun of Stock or Horny either. You know, with a PE teacher and line cook torching LA.

The guys you noted would have career years today, the most friendly era for perimeter play. And in the bubble? Forget about it. Bubble play has inflated production across the board. Jimmy's been balling and he would wreckshop in any era, I mean, he's a tough SOB, but he aint playing LIKE THIS under normal circumstances. No homecourt and no fans on your ass matter.

You're literally only basing this on one series.

What I'm trying to say is, you're a clown.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Butler is the better defender and passer. That gives him the edge over Nique imo
    You can incorrectly think that Butler has equaled Noque career vs career or that this postseason proves him to be a better player than a career 24.8 ppg scorer with two seasons over 30 when Butler's career average is 17 and high is 24. But this is about talent. Nique was a far greater athlete and better in every facet of scoring except possibly shooting threes (Nique played in an era when the primary scorer didn't normally focus on threes...and even then he's not far behind from distance). Nique was a little taller, much more athletic and more skilled as a scorer.

Gary Payton is a great comparison. Basically a smaller more athletic jimmy butler. Similar style player, GP is probably even tougher. You think Butler would lead the sonics farther than they ever went ~ ie the Finals? You think Butler beats MJ? You think Butler averages 24 ppg on 120+ ORTG from 1990 to 2002 like Reggie did in some of the most brutal defensive environments ever? I'm not saying they're way better, it's all slight because Butler is a great player. But yes I'd take Reggie over him, and Payton is a coin flip.
    Once again, Butler is the better scorer, rebounder, passer, and defender. How in the hell does Reggie have an argument? Gary Payton is extremely underrated but Butler is just the better/more well-rounded player. Do I think Butler beats MJ? Idk, it depends on the team. But that has nothing to do with Jimmy being better than Gary.

Bingo. And clowns on here can't make fun of Stock or Horny either. You know, with a PE teacher and line cook torching LA.

The guys you noted would have career years today, the most friendly era for perimeter play. And in the bubble? Forget about it. Bubble play has inflated production across the board. Jimmy's been balling and he would wreckshop in any era, I mean, he's a tough SOB, but he aint playing LIKE THIS under normal circumstances. No homecourt and no fans on your ass matter.

You're literally only basing this on one series.

What I'm trying to say is, you're a clown.
    No.... If you look at Clyde, Reggie, and Butler it is clear that Butler is just the better overall player.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    You can incorrectly think that Butler has equaled Noque career vs career or that this postseason proves him to be a better player than a career 24.8 ppg scorer with two seasons over 30 when Butler's career average is 17 and high is 24. But this is about talent. Nique was a far greater athlete and better in every facet of scoring except possibly shooting threes (Nique played in an era when the primary scorer didn't normally focus on threes...and even then he's not far behind from distance). Nique was a little taller, much more athletic and more skilled as a scorer.
    Still...Butler is the better passer and Defender.

No.... If you look at Clyde, Reggie, and Butler it is clear that Butler is just the better overall player.
    Its only "clear" because you never watched that era, and are basing this on ONE series.

All those players get a bubble boost. Drexler would eat like a damn KING.

Once again, Butler is the better scorer, rebounder, passer, and defender. How in the hell does Reggie have an argument? Gary Payton is extremely underrated but Butler is just the better/more well-rounded player. Do I think Butler beats MJ? Idk, it depends on the team. But that has nothing to do with Jimmy being better than Gary.
    That's not an argument. Butler's rebounding is totally inadmissable... no true impact on the game. His passing is as well, he makes great decisions but so did Reggie. What it comes down to is defense vs scoring. Reggie's scoring was on a totally different level than Butler's in a MUCH harsher league. Efficiency and volume. And while Butler is a better defender, reggie was still scrappy and ultra competitive. The difference between their scoring and defensive advantages slightly favors Miller imo. The fact you think he's easily better than Clyde though shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Jimmy Butler is a top 10 under the radar guy. Clyde was an MVP candidate and toted rival to MJ.

Good college starter BigShotBob's Avatar

No and in fact he'd literally be the worst and MJ would completely son him. He's on Steve Smith's level who was also hyper-competitive

Its only "clear" because you never watched that era, and are basing this on ONE series.

All those players get a bubble boost. Drexler would eat like a damn KING.
    If this was Butler vs Hakkeem, Malone, Isaiah Thomas, or Bird, I wouldn't have an arguement. But when you say Reggie, Gary, and Drexler are better than Butler, you are severely overrating them and underrating Butler. Reggie was not the shot creator, slasher, or post player that Butler is as a scorer. Gary and Drexler lack the passing and intangibles that Butler possesses. Butler is literally an Alpha version of Pippen.

That's not an argument. Butler's rebounding is totally inadmissable... no true impact on the game. His passing is as well, he makes great decisions but so did Reggie. What it comes down to is defense vs scoring. Reggie's scoring was on a totally different level than Butler's in a MUCH harsher league. Efficiency and volume. And while Butler is a better defender, reggie was still scrappy and ultra competitive. The difference between their scoring and defensive advantages slightly favors Miller imo. The fact you think he's easily better than Clyde though shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Jimmy Butler is a top 10 under the radar guy. Clyde was an MVP candidate and toted rival to MJ.
    You are really overrating Reggie and Payton. Clyde has an arguement but the other two don't