Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where do ya'll stand on tipping?

Default Re: Where do ya'll stand on tipping?

I 100% agree with him that who we tip seems to be completely arbitrary. Idk why a cab or uber driver is considered an automatic tip, but an electrician, plumber, or mechanic isn't

I don't tip.

Tipping is a great idea in theory, it just shouldn't come with a blanket expectation.

It's hard for employees to get by on a certain amount without tips, but if you increase their wages then it's hard for the business to get by. Which means the prices then go up for all the customers.

Tipping obviously allows people who can afford to leave a bit extra behind to do so. You could have a customer earning 40k and one earning 300k ordering the same meal at a diner. They should both feel free to tip if and how they want, depending on whats comfortable. In most cases the guy earning more will probably be comfortable leaving a bit more, and that's perfect. But neither should have to meet a certain minimum, nor be expected to shell out big bucks. Allow it to be voluntary and that's that. Of course it IS voluntary, but we all know a big fuss often gets made about how much people choose to tip.

Also tips should have nothing to do with the size of the check IMO, but rather the time and effort. And again, whatev's comfortable to the person.

If Mr. Pink doesn't wanna tip, that's his prerogative. I dont know what his financial situation was before he made off with the bag of diamonds, but if things were super tight, it's fair enough not to throw in the buck. If he was doing okay, then it sounds like he was simply refusing to tip on principle. If we didn't push him to tip because we say so, he'd probably have more of a conscience about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    I 100% agree with him that who we tip seems to be completely arbitrary. Idk why a cab or uber driver is considered an automatic tip, but an electrician, plumber, or mechanic isn't

Prob has more to do with the proportional significance/feasability.

A $3 tip on a $25 meal or car ride for a guy makin 9 bucks is more significant than a 3 dollar tip to a guy doing a $400 repair and making 59/hr for his labor. To slip him 3 dollars when he leaves might come off as insulting more than anything

And obviously nobody's gonna tip 20% of a major repair cost.
    Last edited by starface; 10-15-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Tipping is a cultural thing. There's no use asking why we tip at this place and not at that place, or why we tip this much or that much. It's all social standard that is already set at the place. If you don't tip or tip too little in the US, it communicates "I have a big problem with the food and service in this restaurant". If you don't tip in Japan, nobody cares because they don't have tipping culture.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Flat 20% or closest round number to it for meals and usually 4-5 bucks on a delivery order. If I’ve ever not tipped it was too long ago to remember. The concept annoys me though...especially when waiters lie about minimum wage law and how they make 3 bucks an hour as if it isn’t the normal local minimum if tips don’t cover it. A decent waiter makes more than the people who built your house or the daycare workers who are digging through lunchboxes to keep peanuts from your allergic kid.

I was at a fondue place a weeks ago and our meal was about 120 bucks and I think I paid an even 150. Now with fondue the waitress kinda makes the food. She personally prepared it right there so she may get cook wages not waitress but who knows...

Anyway she had us...a table for 2....then like 5 people next to us...and 3 people in front of us.

With 20% from all of us she made a good 70-90 dollars in an hour and change. Could she break it up in the back with whoever is in the kitchen preparing the sliced meats and all? Sure.

But I promise you this....nobody driving an ambulance makes 70 bucks an hour to keep you alive. Firefighters don’t make a third of that to run into flames to carry out your children.

I pay it because you’re supposed to. And the good ones at good spots make the meal better. Casual meals? I’d much prefer the Panera method of ordering on a tablet at the table and going to get it myself. I don’t need a waiter anywhere that has chicken fingers on the non kids menu.

Just is what it is though. 20 percent. **** it.

The funny thing about tipping a flat percentage at a restaurant is that Server A and Server B can offer exactly the same level of service and the same amount of effort. But server B could be the beneficiary of a larger tip if he happens to serve a Ribeye steak while Server A serves Chicken and Pasta, since the former will obviously be a higher bill. I guess it all balances out in the end. Where I'm from 18% grats are automatically put on your bill, though. But I've lived in the UK the last year and I've had to get used to the idea of tipping not being expected to supplement staff wages. Most of the pubs I've been to you order and prepay at the bar and the server just brings the food to you.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Spending time in France/Europe gave me a new perspective on the tipping system...as far as the food industry goes, I'm in favor of it.

US waiters bust their ass for you...they try to get you your food quickly and ask if you need anything...they bend over backward for you. In France they do not do this...if you are dining out be prepared for it to take a long time, and also be prepared to have a waiter who doesn't give a shit about your experience...you can watch them take cigarette breaks while you eat. The difference? One is working for a tip the other isn't.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Because those latter three jobs are pretty much success or fail. You can't overachieve with them, you either fixed the shit or you didn't. Uber drivers can range in your experience with them... there are some drivers that give you snacks and water and reccomended playlists, and funny conversation... there's ways to overachieve and provide better experience in service job.

Electricians, plumbers, and mechanics also make a shit ton more money base anyway. Like triple or more lol.

Normally 15%. During corona times, I do 20% and my favorite place to eat right now is 23-25% because it's amazing and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post
    Spending time in France/Europe gave me a new perspective on the tipping system...as far as the food industry goes, I'm in favor of it.

US waiters bust their ass for you...they try to get you your food quickly and ask if you need anything...they bend over backward for you. In France they do not do this...if you are dining out be prepared for it to take a long time, and also be prepared to have a waiter who doesn't give a shit about your experience...you can watch them take cigarette breaks while you eat. The difference? One is working for a tip the other isn't.
    Europeans are a lot more chilled out than Americans, it's a culture thing. You went to France, go to Latin countries out west or eastern countries, and it's even more prominent. People live less like they have a million things to do and everything's a rush over there unlike us.

Good service will get you good tips

Stupidest system in the world. No one else has that dumb system like America.

The owner should be paying the waiters a decent wage not $8 an hour. If I’m at a restaurant and paying $100 for a meal why should I then pay $20 for the person bringing me the food?

Anywhere else in the world might tip after a nice restaurant meal or a few bucks for a delivery driver if they feel like it, but there’s none of this 15, 18 or 20% bulshit calculated on the bill or is expected at all..
    Most people visiting the states hate this with a passion and you guys think it’s normal

Also I call bulshit on the French restaurant, some of the best dining experiences I’ve ever had were in Paris

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coin24 View Post
    Also I call bulshit on the French restaurant, some of the best dining experiences I’ve ever had were in Paris

That's real

It's because they don't have to win your tip