Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 59
  1. #16
    The One CelticBaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    CT, GOATLAND
    Posts
    24,461

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    they were competing with the mlb, nhl and nfl all at the same time. Also the bubble games arent s visually appealing as the regular games

  2. #17
    It is what it is TheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15,926

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by west_tip View Post
    I only caught the tail end of the Lakers-Blazers game 1 because I was having dinner at a bar and it was on. Other than than did not watch a single second of the NBA bubble and I can't say that I missed it.

    I'm sure that BLM played a part in the decline in ratings but also honestly since the lockdown cancelled sports back in March I just switched my lifestyle up. I'm reading more than I have since I was in college, I taught my son to play chess and we play pretty much every evening. I've been binge watching documentaries, working out and trying to broaden my horizons. When sports was cancelled it made me realize that I have wasted a lot of time focusing on sports to the detriment of other areas of interest - now I'm more about self improvement and working on my own goals.
    My path was similar to yours only that I took it a few steps further...I became a Shaolin monk and began walking the earth, in fact I'm checking in rn from a wifi hot spot at the foot of the Nepal mountains...
    Last edited by TheMan; 10-18-2020 at 10:29 AM.

  3. #18
    It is what it is TheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15,926

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Woke View Post
    I don't have an alternate account.

    Lol at the snowflakes who get offended by BLM.
    The social justice awareness from the NBA is cringeworthy bro, and I'm no Trumptard. Biggest reason I didn't tune in though was that the NBA game in general is shit, no defense glorified 3pt shooting sissy contest. Zzzzzzzzzz :

  4. #19
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    The social justice awareness from the NBA is cringeworthy bro, and I'm no Trumptard. Biggest reason I didn't tune in though was that the NBA game in general is shit, no defense glorified 3pt shooting sissy contest. Zzzzzzzzzz :
    I disagree with you. It was a great gesture, and that is another reason why I prefer the modern NBA over the 90s/early 2000s NBA.

  5. #20
    It is what it is TheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15,926

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Woke View Post
    I disagree with you. It was a great gesture, and that is another reason why I prefer the modern NBA over the 90s/early 2000s NBA.
    To each his own but NBA ratings have been dropping for years now so it looks like most agree with me.

  6. #21
    Kropotkin stan RRR3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anarchocommunism is the answer
    Posts
    34,062

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    The social justice awareness from the NBA is cringeworthy bro, and I'm no Trumptard. Biggest reason I didn't tune in though was that the NBA game in general is shit, no defense glorified 3pt shooting sissy contest. Zzzzzzzzzz :
    You should be glad the Lakers won then since LeBron lives in the paint and Davis lives in the midrange.

  7. #22
    Sentenza AngelEyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    City of Wind
    Posts
    3,860

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    I agree with you, I thought the social justice awareness during the bubble was cringeworthy. I thought it was over the top and lacked nuance. On top of that, as you said, the product was awful, too much three point shooting and too little defense.

  8. #23
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    To each his own but NBA ratings have been dropping for years now so it looks like most agree with me.
    You and the other folks who agree with you are misguided and living in the past IMO.

    I am very glad that I am not in that crowd.

  9. #24
    It is what it is TheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15,926

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Woke View Post
    You and the other folks who agree with you are misguided and living in the past IMO.

    I am very glad that I am not in that crowd.
    Don't worry about me pal, the NBA is like any other product, it produces a quality product at times and a shitty one at others...the 70s were a crap product, it's been a crap product overall this decade too. I'm fine with MLB, now that is a fine product atm.

  10. #25
    Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,368

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post
    I agree with you, I thought the social justice awareness during the bubble was cringeworthy. I thought it was over the top and lacked nuance.
    The biggest problem imo is that (as a general rule) athletes don't make good spokespeople for political movements. Most do not have the education and are not very well read and informed so they don't really have anything to say beyond platitudes and cliches.

    For me though they often lack credibility. I live in Sacramento and I heard Bobby Jackson jumping on the BLM bandwagon, it made me cringe. Dude lives in the whitest part of town (Granite Bay, less than 1% black people) and one of the wealthiest. I just don't want to hear from people who are wealthy from playing or coaching ball and who live in some of the most segregated and white communities in America talk about equality. They are welcome to give their 2 cents and I am within my rights to tune them out.

  11. #26
    Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,368

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    The other issue with the NBA and the way it has trended in recent times is that because of the culture that surrounds the sport these days it has become anti intellectual.

    Attending college to play ball is looked upon like a prison sentence. High school basketball is no longer central to the basketball experience of 14-18 year olds. At these institutions the players would be sitting in classes and they would be learning stuff, broadening their horizons, becoming more learned and more well rounded individuals.

    This AAU movement, one and done thing has just really underscored the fact that basketball is divorced from academia and from the rest of society. Basketball prodigies and their handlers and hangers on are taking a quasi-professional approach to the game from middle school onwards.

  12. #27
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    Don't worry about me pal, the NBA is like any other product, it produces a quality product at times and a shitty one at others...the 70s were a crap product, it's been a crap product overall this decade too. I'm fine with MLB, now that is a fine product atm.
    IMO the modern era is more enjoyable than the 90s/early 2000s NBA.

  13. #28
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by west_tip View Post
    The biggest problem imo is that (as a general rule) athletes don't make good spokespeople for political movements. Most do not have the education and are not very well read and informed so they don't really have anything to say beyond platitudes and cliches.

    For me though they often lack credibility. I live in Sacramento and I heard Bobby Jackson jumping on the BLM bandwagon, it made me cringe. Dude lives in the whitest part of town (Granite Bay, less than 1% black people) and one of the wealthiest. I just don't want to hear from people who are wealthy from playing or coaching ball and who live in some of the most segregated and white communities in America talk about equality. They are welcome to give their 2 cents and I am within my rights to tune them out.
    Most people don't make good spokespeople for political movements if we are being honest.

    However anyone is entitled to give their opinions regarding politics.

  14. #29
    It is what it is TheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15,926

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Woke View Post
    IMO the modern era is more enjoyable than the 90s/early 2000s NBA.
    Well, obviously you don't like defense then. I like it when it takes real talent to score and you don't have a dozen goofballs averaging triple doubles like today's NBA. And mind you, it's not the player's fault, it's the marshmallow rule changes made to benefit the offense because the NBA figured casuals like watching 128-122 final score games.

  15. #30
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    Well, obviously you don't like defense then. I like it when it takes real talent to score and you don't have a dozen goofballs averaging triple doubles like today's NBA. And mind you, it's not the player's fault, it's the marshmallow rule changes made to benefit the offense because the NBA figured casuals like watching 128-122 final score games.
    Players can still play defense lol.

    Do you even watch games nowadays?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •