Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Unfortunately BLM hurt the NBA Ratings

they were competing with the mlb, nhl and nfl all at the same time. Also the bubble games arent s visually appealing as the regular games

Quote Originally Posted by west_tip View Post
    I only caught the tail end of the Lakers-Blazers game 1 because I was having dinner at a bar and it was on. Other than than did not watch a single second of the NBA bubble and I can't say that I missed it.

I'm sure that BLM played a part in the decline in ratings but also honestly since the lockdown cancelled sports back in March I just switched my lifestyle up. I'm reading more than I have since I was in college, I taught my son to play chess and we play pretty much every evening. I've been binge watching documentaries, working out and trying to broaden my horizons. When sports was cancelled it made me realize that I have wasted a lot of time focusing on sports to the detriment of other areas of interest - now I'm more about self improvement and working on my own goals.
    My path was similar to yours only that I took it a few steps further...I became a Shaolin monk and began walking the earth, in fact I'm checking in rn from a wifi hot spot at the foot of the Nepal mountains...
    Last edited by TheMan; 10-18-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Woke View Post
    I don't have an alternate account.

Lol at the snowflakes who get offended by BLM.
    The social justice awareness from the NBA is cringeworthy bro, and I'm no Trumptard. Biggest reason I didn't tune in though was that the NBA game in general is shit, no defense glorified 3pt shooting sissy contest. Zzzzzzzzzz :

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    The social justice awareness from the NBA is cringeworthy bro, and I'm no Trumptard. Biggest reason I didn't tune in though was that the NBA game in general is shit, no defense glorified 3pt shooting sissy contest. Zzzzzzzzzz :
    I disagree with you. It was a great gesture, and that is another reason why I prefer the modern NBA over the 90s/early 2000s NBA.

I disagree with you. It was a great gesture, and that is another reason why I prefer the modern NBA over the 90s/early 2000s NBA.
    To each his own but NBA ratings have been dropping for years now so it looks like most agree with me.

You should be glad the Lakers won then since LeBron lives in the paint and Davis lives in the midrange.

I agree with you, I thought the social justice awareness during the bubble was cringeworthy. I thought it was over the top and lacked nuance. On top of that, as you said, the product was awful, too much three point shooting and too little defense.

Decent college freshman

To each his own but NBA ratings have been dropping for years now so it looks like most agree with me.
    You and the other folks who agree with you are misguided and living in the past IMO.

I am very glad that I am not in that crowd.

You and the other folks who agree with you are misguided and living in the past IMO.

I am very glad that I am not in that crowd.
    Don't worry about me pal, the NBA is like any other product, it produces a quality product at times and a shitty one at others...the 70s were a crap product, it's been a crap product overall this decade too. I'm fine with MLB, now that is a fine product atm.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post
    I agree with you, I thought the social justice awareness during the bubble was cringeworthy. I thought it was over the top and lacked nuance.
    The biggest problem imo is that (as a general rule) athletes don't make good spokespeople for political movements. Most do not have the education and are not very well read and informed so they don't really have anything to say beyond platitudes and cliches.

For me though they often lack credibility. I live in Sacramento and I heard Bobby Jackson jumping on the BLM bandwagon, it made me cringe. Dude lives in the whitest part of town (Granite Bay, less than 1% black people) and one of the wealthiest. I just don't want to hear from people who are wealthy from playing or coaching ball and who live in some of the most segregated and white communities in America talk about equality. They are welcome to give their 2 cents and I am within my rights to tune them out.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

The other issue with the NBA and the way it has trended in recent times is that because of the culture that surrounds the sport these days it has become anti intellectual.

Attending college to play ball is looked upon like a prison sentence. High school basketball is no longer central to the basketball experience of 14-18 year olds. At these institutions the players would be sitting in classes and they would be learning stuff, broadening their horizons, becoming more learned and more well rounded individuals.

This AAU movement, one and done thing has just really underscored the fact that basketball is divorced from academia and from the rest of society. Basketball prodigies and their handlers and hangers on are taking a quasi-professional approach to the game from middle school onwards.

Decent college freshman

Don't worry about me pal, the NBA is like any other product, it produces a quality product at times and a shitty one at others...the 70s were a crap product, it's been a crap product overall this decade too. I'm fine with MLB, now that is a fine product atm.
    IMO the modern era is more enjoyable than the 90s/early 2000s NBA.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by west_tip View Post
    The biggest problem imo is that (as a general rule) athletes don't make good spokespeople for political movements. Most do not have the education and are not very well read and informed so they don't really have anything to say beyond platitudes and cliches.

For me though they often lack credibility. I live in Sacramento and I heard Bobby Jackson jumping on the BLM bandwagon, it made me cringe. Dude lives in the whitest part of town (Granite Bay, less than 1% black people) and one of the wealthiest. I just don't want to hear from people who are wealthy from playing or coaching ball and who live in some of the most segregated and white communities in America talk about equality. They are welcome to give their 2 cents and I am within my rights to tune them out.
    Most people don't make good spokespeople for political movements if we are being honest.

However anyone is entitled to give their opinions regarding politics.

IMO the modern era is more enjoyable than the 90s/early 2000s NBA.
    Well, obviously you don't like defense then. I like it when it takes real talent to score and you don't have a dozen goofballs averaging triple doubles like today's NBA. And mind you, it's not the player's fault, it's the marshmallow rule changes made to benefit the offense because the NBA figured casuals like watching 128-122 final score games.

Decent college freshman

Well, obviously you don't like defense then. I like it when it takes real talent to score and you don't have a dozen goofballs averaging triple doubles like today's NBA. And mind you, it's not the player's fault, it's the marshmallow rule changes made to benefit the offense because the NBA figured casuals like watching 128-122 final score games.
    Players can still play defense lol.

Do you even watch games nowadays?