Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Warriors had a 32-6 Record in the 2017 and 2018 playoffs combined

And 3 of those loses came in the WCF to the Rockets (and of course, the Warriors were down 3-2 until CP3 got hurt).

Those Rockets don't get enough credit.

Default Re: The Warriors had a 32-6 Record in the 2017 and 2018 playoffs combined

yeah thats just the way it goes in sports. if you dont win you dont get any credit.

all we're going to remember is the million bricked threes in game 7

Default Re: The Warriors had a 32-6 Record in the 2017 and 2018 playoffs combined

Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post
    yeah thats just the way it goes in sports. if you dont win you dont get any credit.

all we're going to remember is the million bricked threes in game 7
    But they won a whole lot of games. I don't think the only memorable teams are championship teams. Nobody came closer to knocking those Warriors off, and they have a credible argument for GOAT team.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el View Post
    But they won a whole lot of games. I don't think the only memorable teams are championship teams. Nobody came closer to knocking those Warriors off, and they have a credible argument for GOAT team.
    yeah I was rooting for them felt like the cavs could beat them if they knocked off the warriors. those warriors teams were just too good. terrible luck trying to contend and being in the same conference or league at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post
    yeah I was rooting for them felt like the cavs could beat them if they knocked off the warriors. those warriors teams were just too good. terrible luck trying to contend and being in the same conference or league at that time.
    Yup. And to be fair, a lot of other franchises just gave up and didn't even try to tool up to beat the Warriors. I respect the Rockets team for giving it a shot. I've always been a big CP3 fan, and I was hoping that was his year.

I remember after beating the Rockets on the road with relative ease in Game 1 thinking that nobody was capable of even giving the Warriors a competitive series. After an encouraging win in Game 2 they proceeded to get absolutely blitzed in Game 3, and I thought the Warriors were on their way to another cakewalk title.

There were two instances in Game 4 where Houston could've easily caved, when they failed to score a single point in the first 5 minutes of the game falling behind 12-0, and early in the 4th when they once again fell behind by 12. But credit to them, they hung tough and scrapped their way to 2 gritty wins before CP3's laughably timed injury.

Just think how differently we'd look at things now had CP3 stayed healthy and Houston managed to seal the deal. Harden & CP3 would no longer be the ridiculed ringless clowns they are today, but the duo that helped knock off a juggernaut. I'm sure we'd see them both in top 25 consideration today. On the flipside, Durant & the Warriors would walk away with just 1 title in 3 years, with Curry/Klay/Dray remaining at 2 rings. We'd look back at this era in a totally different light.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    I remember after beating the Rockets on the road with relative ease in Game 1 thinking that nobody was capable of even giving the Warriors a competitive series. After an encouraging win in Game 2 they proceeded to get absolutely blitzed in Game 3, and I thought the Warriors were on their way to another cakewalk title.

There were two instances in Game 4 where Houston could've easily caved, when they failed to score a single point in the first 5 minutes of the game falling behind 12-0, and early in the 4th when they once again fell behind by a dozen. But a credit to them, they hung tough and scrapped their way to 2 gritty wins before CP3's laughably timed injury.

Just think how differently we'd look at things now had CP3 stayed healthy and Houston managed to seal the deal. Harden & CP3 would no longer be the ridiculed ringless clowns they are today, but the duo that helped knock off a juggernaut. I'm sure we'd see them both in top 25 consideration today. On the flipside, Durant & the Warriors would walk away with just 1 title in 3 years, Curry/Klay/Dray remaining at 2 rings. We'd look back at this era in a completely different light.

Iggy getting hurt was a big deal. He was clamping the rockets before he left. Then it became the iso chris paul and james harden show.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Iggy getting hurt was a big deal. He was clamping the rockets before he left. Then it became the iso chris paul and james harden show.
    With all that talent I really didn't think Iggy would be THAT significant of an injury, but his absence was a clear difference maker, that was literally the only time the Warriors looked vulnerable during those playoff runs. They also nearly lost Game 1 of the Finals with him out too

To be fair, Cavs would have won at least 2 games without Refs intervening.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    How you think a healthy Rockets/Cavs Final plays out in 2018?

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    That was some bullshit officiating by the end of Game 1, 2018 Finals. Cavs were up by two with Snake charged with an offensive foul. Then refs changed it to a block which turned to free throws. I was so pissed that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipes2.0 View Post
    That was some bullshit officiating by the end of Game 1, 2018 Finals. Cavs were up by two with Snake charged with an offensive foul. Then refs changed it to a block which turned to free throws. I was so pissed that day.
    That really is the most egregious ref decision I've ever seen. They review the play to see if he's in the restricted zone when he's literally 3 feet away from it, then overturn what was absolutely a 50/50 call with no definitive proof it was wrong

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    How you think a healthy Rockets/Cavs Final plays out in 2018?
    Rockets in 6 through if it went 7 all bets are off as I would back Lebron to win a finals game 7 on the road any day of the week over James Harden and that volatile Rockets team as while they are capable of hitting 25 threes in a game they are easily capable as that Wcf game 7 showed of completely bricking everything and not making any adjustments. Honestly, could see that game 7 between those two teams being very similar to the Cavs vs Celtics that year where the Celtics had a horror night from three and Lebron goes off and the Cavs win a close one.

One thing is for sure though Lebron would have played much harder if he faced the beatable Rockets that year in the Finals instead of that stacked Warrior's team and there would be less pressure for the role players to produce. Remember even with all the Role players for the Cavs playing horribly in the finals that year the Cavs were only a couple of plays away from taking that stacked Golden State team to 6 games.

To be truthful I can see Lebron averaging 40 plus that series with how good his jump-shot was that entire playoff run and I think with Love pulling Capela out of the paint that the Rockets defence would have had serious problems with Lebron. It is enough through to will that Cavs team to the title I seriously don't know but what I can say is that it would have been one hell of a series compared to what we got with Cavs vs Warriors part 4.
    Last edited by coastalmarker99; 10-16-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Morey is an idiot for changing the formula last season. I don't know if they would have beaten the Lakers this year, but it would have been much, much closer. I know CP3 and Harden didn't get along by the end of it, but they should have been told to deal with it and play.

This is the problem with the sport, superstars are treated like Greek Gods in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    Morey is an idiot for changing the formula last season. I don't know if they would have beaten the Lakers this year, but it would have been much, much closer. I know CP3 and Harden didn't get along by the end of it, but they should have been told to deal with it and play.

This is the problem with the sport, superstars are treated like Greek Gods in basketball.
    Yup. That's why every year at least 1 of the teams in the finals is a TEAM team, where guys put away their egos and play for each other.

I guess the point of this thread is that sometimes the way we view players historically comes down to just 1 game that could have gone either way.