Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: GM reveals new Hummer EV (electric vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGoat View Post
    You ever wonder how they get the resources to make those huge batteries? Unless they find a way to make batteries tiny they will never trump gas.
    Individual Tesla battery:

Hundreds of thousands of batteries situated underneath the car:

Latest batteries are rated for 1 million miles worth of re-charging before they need to be replaced. That can last decades & decades

I'm sure you heard of the Moore's law for electronics research - batteries have something similar. On average, the battery efficiency goes up about 5% every year.

As for weight... Yes, electric cars weight something like 1,000 pounds more, but so what? In gas cars, weight is a problem because too much can lower fuel efficiency since acceleration would require more gas. In electric cars, you are not limited by acceleration but rather by range. Battery efficiency helps the most with that - more efficiency = more range out of it per battery but no impact on acceleration.

There is also something called recuperative braking ( https://electrek.co/2018/04/24/regen...-how-it-works/ ) in electric vehicles that allow you to use your kinetic energy and re-generate some of the electricity used. It can re-generate 15-20% of electricity used - some reported up to 32% of the electricity being re-generated so weight actually helps the vehicle recuperate more electricity. Sure, less weight would be nice but you can overcome that with battery efficiency + regenerative braking + other benefits like no emissions.

Keep in mind also there are no moving parts, no complex engine in electric vehicles like in gas cars, which significantly lowers repair costs that cars tend to eventually need. Electric cars have batteries, electric motor, motor controller that is like a motherboard, regenerative brakes and drivetrain. That's it - that's the whole car. Gas cars have way more parts and way more parts that can go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    so a new hummer is unveiled after 10 years, but yet we don't have PM's or rep.

you're garbage op

Btw, tomtucker's initial post here about melting down over the vid i shared just because bran was featured in it is gone now. I think he also got a probation for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post
    GMC says it does 0-60 in 3 seconds...and has 1,000 horse power

that's just insane...that's the similar specs as the latest Ferrari Stradale (1000HP 0-60 2.5 sec)...on a fcking Hummer

The original Hummer had 300 HP
    No doubt its insane, but its not as insane as the Cybertruck - which is going to do 0-60 in 2.9 and has 600 miles of range compared to the 350 on the hummer while also being priced at 70k compared to 110k (before options) for the hummer

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    No doubt its insane, but its not as insane as the Cybertruck - which is going to do 0-60 in 2.9 and has 600 miles of range compared to the 350 on the hummer while also being priced at 70k compared to 110k (before options) for the hummer
    My issues with the Cybertruck are the aesthetics...that is one ugly fcking truck...literally looks like something out of a 1980s Sci-fi movie....or a PS1 game.

I just can not make myself like that design.

From just a purely practical standpoint...no one needs more than 300HP

Anything over 400HP really belongs on a race track...A 400 HP car is REALLY fast...you hit the gas and you're breaking the speed limit immediately, there is no need for more speed unless your competitive racing for sport.

I wouldn't even want to do 0-60 in 3 seconds in something shaped like a Hummer, that thing would probably flip and roll with the slightest turn...it's frame is clearly not designed for high speeds, and why the fck would you need to go that fast anyway in a Hummer?...it's really pointless over kill.

My issues with the Cybertruck are the aesthetics...that is one ugly fcking truck...literally looks like something out of a 1980s Sci-fi movie....or a PS1 game.

I just can not make myself like that design.

From just a purely practical standpoint...no one needs more than 300HP

Anything over 400HP really belongs on a race track...A 400 HP car is REALLY fast...you hit the gas and you're breaking the speed limit immediately, there is no need for more speed unless your competitive racing for sport.

I wouldn't even want to do 0-60 in 3 seconds in something shaped like a Hummer, that thing would probably flip and roll with the slightest turn...it's frame is clearly not designed for high speeds, and why the fck would you need to go that fast anyway in a Hummer?...it's really pointless over kill.
    First of all, I am sorry to inform you that you are just wrong about the aesthetics. It does indeed look like something out of a 1980s sci-fi movie (back to the future specifically), and considering the 1980s was the most bad ass decade in recent history and arguably the overall peak of american society, its no surprise that Tesla took inspiration from this era of vehicles. Anyway, any supposed man who lists aesthetics/design as an important feature in a truck should probably have their estrogen levels checked... its a truck

Secondly, if you're buying cars from a purely practical standpoint you should be buying used Toyotas and Hondas rather than electric trucks in the 70k-110k range. Also, please check your horsepower privilege, just because you dont need more than 300HP doesnt mean thats true for everyone... my car has 450 hp and does 0-60 in ~3.2 sec and I definitely need more power.

Thirdly, arent you an american living in Texas? I would think that someone like you would be aware of the fact that theres no such thing as overkill in the car world. Did you really just ask why anyone would need to go that fast? Obviously they need to do it because they can and because its bad ass.

Anyway, its fine if you dislike the cybertruck aesthetics or dont understand why people want lots of power... I only responded because you said the hummer is insane when its specs are not really that impressive compared to other electric trucks that are coming soon
    Last edited by Nanners; 10-22-2020 at 10:31 AM.

I aspire to own a supercar...pretty soon too...for "bad ass" reasons lol...and I'm going to track it

I was speaking from pure practicality...no one "needs" more than 400HP...really 300HP is plenty

what do you own at those specs Nanners?...a Model S?

I aspire to own a supercar...pretty soon too...for "bad ass" reasons lol...and I'm going to track it

I was speaking from pure practicality...no one "needs" more than 400HP...really 300HP is plenty

what do you own at those specs Nanners?...a Model S?
    I have a model 3 performance

Thats bad ass that you're thinking about buying a supercar. what cars are you looking at? I would love to own a track focused supercar someday... my model 3 is super fun to drive and has absurd acceleration, but its definitely not intended to be a track car

I have a model 3 performance

Thats bad ass that you're thinking about buying a supercar. what cars are you looking at?
    I want a used F430...and yes I could probably find a Porche or Vette with similar performance for cheaper, but my plan is to sell it and Ferrari has extremely high resale value, probably will get back what I paid. Also I am a Ferrari guy, love their cars, history, everything...they are works of art to me.

I want a used F430...and yes I could probably find a Porche or Vette with similar performance for cheaper, but my plan is to sell it and Ferrari has extremely high resale value, probably will get back what I paid. Also I am a Ferrari guy, love their cars, history, everything...they are works of art to me.
    Nice, I love the 430 (its predecessor 360 is probably my favorite modern ferrari other than the Enzo). Its a timeless design and I def agree about the resale situation.

No doubt you could find a porsche or vette with better performance for cheaper, and you could probably find a modded mustang that has better performance than the porsche or vette for cheaper than those... but supercars arent supposed to be about finding the most efficient value/performance ratio.

Banned

They’re floating around 100k right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka Doncic View Post
    They’re floating around 100k right now.
    Yep my plan is to wait until a good deal pops up around $90k, own a couple years, and then hopefully sell around $100k...just have to be a patient shopper.

Weekend car only, so I won't put a ton of mileage on it...maybe just 3,000 a year.

shit might not go down like I want it to...but that's what I'm going to try

Decent college freshman

Yep my plan is to wait until a good deal pops up around $90k, own a couple years, and then hopefully sell around $100k...just have to be a patient shopper.

Weekend car only, so I won't put a ton of mileage on it...maybe just 3,000 a year.

Love the f430. I see them all the time at the repair shop near my house. Not sure what that means but I’d get that thing looked over with a magnifying glass. These cars seem to completely fall apart if something is slightly “off”

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGoat View Post
    Love the f430. I see them all the time at the repair shop near my house. Not sure what that means but I’d get that thing looked over with a magnifying glass. These cars seem to completely fall apart if something is slightly “off”
    From what I've read the clutch replacement is big one...around $5k...so when I buy that's where my magnifying glass will be, make sure it has a fresh clutch.

have you decided on manual vs automatic? from what I have seen the manuals have way better resale value, and their value of manuals is increasing faster than the automatics due to the scarcity - most manufacturers arent making manuals anymore

have you decided on manual vs automatic? from what I have seen the manuals have way better resale value, and their value of manuals is increasing faster than the automatics due to the scarcity - most manufacturers arent making manuals anymore
    man I would LOOOOOVE a manual with gated shifter...I learned to drive on a gated shifter. But I am not holding out hope for that, because yes they resale for more and you can't find them for cheap...everyone wants that.

Ferrari doesn't make them anymore...not sure what their last model to feature a gated shifter is but they are gone