Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: GM reveals new Hummer EV (electric vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post
    man I would LOOOOOVE a manual with gated shifter...I learned to drive on a gated shifter. But I am not holding out hope for that, because yes they resale for more and you can't find them for cheap...everyone wants that.

Ferrari doesn't make them anymore...not sure what their last model to feature a gated shifter is but they are gone
    I was blessed with the opportunity to drive a manual R8 one time, and click-clacking through gears on that gated shifter is one of the most deeply satisfying experiences I have ever had behind the wheel of a car... reminded me of the feeling of cycling a really nice bolt action rifle.

While the manuals cost a lot more, it seems like they will more than make up for that when you want to turn around and sell it. Like you said, everyone wants the gated manual and they just dont make them anymore... meanwhile virtually every modern supercar has some kind of paddle operated automatic, and those modern dual clutch transmissions make the f1 in the f430 feel very outdated in comparison.

what car did you learn to drive on?

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

I shouldn't have said I learned on a gated shifter, I just meant I grew up driving a manual shifter...not specifically metal on metal.

My first car was a POS manual Honda Prelude...I actually sold a Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card to buy it. I don't even want see what that card is worth today.

And yeah, I could definitely resale a manual for a higher price...might actually be cheaper to go about it that way...I should consider that.

I shouldn't have said I learned on a gated shifter, I just meant I grew up driving a manual shifter...not specifically metal on metal.

My first car was a POS manual Honda Prelude...I actually sold a Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card to buy it. I don't even want see what that card is worth today.

And yeah, I could definitely resale a manual for a higher price...might actually be cheaper to go about it that way...I should consider that.
    I grew up driving POS manuals too, my first car was a porsche 916 that was held together by duct tape... and like you I paid for that car by selling a collectible item that has skyrocketed in value since then - a first edition of harry potter and the sorcerers stone signed by jk rowling (I sold it for like $300... and last I checked it was worth 50k or more)

Anyway, not only would the manual f430 potentially wind up being the cheaper option to own after factoring in the resale value, but it will give you a much more magical and fulfilling experience as a driver which is definitely worth a lot too
    Last edited by Nanners; 10-22-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    I grew up driving POS manuals too, my first car was a porsche 916 that was held together by duct tape... and like you I paid for that car by selling a collectible item that has skyrocketed in value since then - a first edition of harry potter and the sorcerers stone signed by jk rowling (I sold it for like $300... and last I checked it was worth 50k or more)

boggles my mind that there are people on this planet willing to pay ~50k for a fucking harry potter book... especially considering that JK Rowling is supposedly a transphobe now, and therefore highly problematic in the eyes of the harry potter generation

that 916 also skyrocketed in value after I sold it... mine was a total beater that I bought for around ~5k and sold a few years later for 10ish (which seemed like a huge win at the time), but these days a beater 916 is probably going to cost at least 50k and a restored one can go for several hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    Last edited by Nanners; 10-22-2020 at 04:05 PM.

916 is a weird car...I like it's uniqueness...I don' think I've seen one of those in over a decade at least

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    have you decided on manual vs automatic? from what I have seen the manuals have way better resale value, and their value of manuals is increasing faster than the automatics due to the scarcity - most manufacturers arent making manuals anymore
    Yup, manual is getting very scarce these days. I think they're just being saved for large commercial vehicles but it's still nice to have them for faster cars. Good luck in the traffic doe.

New cars now come with automatics that have manual override and depending on which model, have paddle shifters. One good thing about autos is that they don't feel so conventional anymore.

Remember the time during the 90s until mid 00s when most of them only had 4 gears to play? This was the very reason why i used to dislike them back then and they're not efficient plus no manual override yet as well. At least standard manuals already had 5 gears during those years but as time passed by, surely they all had evolved.

They now have 6 or more gears but ford is trying to set the bar on this by offering 10 gears on their models, including ones that aren't present in north america. That helps in performance, economy and linear power delivery. I just hope they would last for a long time although I've already heard some recalls in the early batches.

916 is a weird car...I like it's uniqueness...I don' think I've seen one of those in over a decade at least
    Yeah they are incredibly rare these days, which is a big part of the reason for the current absurd sale prices.

Yeah living where I do, flood zone AE, i don't think an electric or hybrid vehicle is a wise choice.

But that 40k Cybertruck is pretty enticing considering its range and price tag before federal incentives/rebates.

Banned

man I would LOOOOOVE a manual with gated shifter...I learned to drive on a gated shifter. But I am not holding out hope for that, because yes they resale for more and you can't find them for cheap...everyone wants that.

Ferrari doesn't make them anymore...not sure what their last model to feature a gated shifter is but they are gone
    355 last manual which is my favorite Ferrari of all time. I want one of these but there is an engine service that involves taking out the engine a 30k service. You can find these cars at 60k means no service. 100k means it has gone through the service.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka Doncic View Post
    355 last manual which is my favorite Ferrari of all time. I want one of these but there is an engine service that involves taking out the engine a 30k service. You can find these cars at 60k means no service. 100k means it has gone through the service.
    That's not the last manual, unless you mean that's the last Ferrari that ONLY came in manual. I looked it up because of this thread, last Ferrari you could get with a gated shifter is the 2007 599.

I think the Rivian electric truck is the most interesting EV truck that's being released. Best design & aesthetics imo and cool features like the tank turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzwM8KE2L3I

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7 View Post
    I think the Rivian electric truck is the most interesting EV truck that's being released. Best design & aesthetics imo and cool features like the tank turn.

those headlights are kinda whack looking tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7 View Post

This truck somewhat resembles the new land rover defender.

Yeah, I think those are probably going to be divisive but I'm into them. I think those are gonna be something most people either love or hate.