Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Top 25 Power Forwards of All-Time Voting Part 2: Players 6-10

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    He improved his passing a bit by '86, but yea, he was never considered a passer by any means.

He may struggle leading a team as the #1 man the same way AD did, given he doesn't make plays for his teammates, his individual accolades even fall short compared to other players we are discussing, but McHale at his peak was a monster, unguardable in the post, no player in history had the variety of post moves he had. And defensively he was top tier, better defensively than guys like Barkley, Dirk, Karl, & Hayes. I tend to value his peak very high. It's only a matter of time AD & Giannis pass up McHale though.
    Yeah that's kind of where I am with McHale. I'm giving alot of cache to his peak play on those title teams, and I sometimes feel a little gross living in the moment and saying someone like Giannis should ranked higher, but he's trending as an all-time level peak ( at least the regular season) and its gonna be harder to justify ranking him at the bottom of the top 10 list much longer.

Hayes was completely before my time so I have to look at his body of work the same way I do guys like Wilt/ Russell/ Oscar etc and make a judgement call.

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound View Post
    6-Bob Pettit
    7-Dirk Nowitzki
    8-Kevin Garnett
    9-Anthony Davis
    10-Pau Gasol/Chris Webber
    I can't do anything with this.
    You have two players in the 10 spot and Dirk/KG have already been voted in last round.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Yeah that's kind of where I am with McHale. I'm giving alot of cache to his peak play on those title teams, and I sometimes feel a little gross living in the moment and saying someone like Giannis should ranked higher, but he's trending as an all-time level peak ( at least the regular season) and its gonna be harder to justify ranking him at the bottom of the top 10 list much longer.

Hayes was completely before my time so I have to look at his body of work the same way I do guys like Wilt/ Russell/ Oscar etc and make a judgement call.
    Hayes WAS exceptional player. I mean he could score (led league is scoring), rebound (led league in rebounding) and was top 5 in blocks a few years.
    I think he retired he was 3rd all-time in points behind Wilt and Kareem (who he took down at the big college game in 1968) and 3rd in rebounding behind Wilt and Russell.

Now those are the positives, he has some negatives. Was terrible teammate to play with, missed the playoffs a few times early in his career in San Diego (will give him benefit of the doubt, was an expansion franchise.)

He still deserves a top ten spot. I can't see him lower than 7, right below Pettit and Giannis. Def over McHale tho. Kevin doesn't have the individual accolades. ONE All-NBA Team. Spent the majority of his career as a 6th man.

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    pettit
    davis
    giannis
    schayes
    hayes
    Shout-Out to the Dolph Schayes mention. Dolph was drafted in 1949 and by 1961 was still an All-NBA performer when the new wave of Wilt, Russell, Baylor, West and Robertson were taking over. Was also the best player on a championship team in 1955 *the first post shot clock era title.)

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    Shout-Out to the Dolph Schayes mention. Dolph was drafted in 1949 and by 1961 was still an All-NBA performer when the new wave of Wilt, Russell, Baylor, West and Robertson were taking over. Was also the best player on a championship team in 1955 *the first post shot clock era title.)
    Or it could have been a Danny Schayes mention (kidding, Danny was a scrub).

Hayes WAS exceptional player. I mean he could score (led league is scoring), rebound (led league in rebounding) and was top 5 in blocks a few years.
    I think he retired he was 3rd all-time in points behind Wilt and Kareem (who he took down at the big college game in 1968) and 3rd in rebounding behind Wilt and Russell.

Now those are the positives, he has some negatives. Was terrible teammate to play with, missed the playoffs a few times early in his career in San Diego (will give him benefit of the doubt, was an expansion franchise.)

He still deserves a top ten spot. I can't see him lower than 7, right below Pettit and Giannis. Def over McHale tho. Kevin doesn't have the individual accolades. ONE All-NBA Team. Spent the majority of his career as a 6th man.
    Yeah I put alot of stock on his role in the Celtics dynasty but that's where these things get tricky comparing players across eras and with different roles. I don't have the personal experience with Hayes to really compare him against any of these guys, but that's gonna be the case for most on the board.

Yeah I put alot of stock on his role in the Celtics dynasty but that's where these things get tricky comparing players across eras and with different roles. I don't have the personal experience with Hayes to really compare him against any of these guys, but that's gonna be the case for most on the board.
    McHale has very little individual accolades compared to the other top PF's, that's all I'm saying. Tho he does have like six all-defensive teams but just ONE All-NBA Team.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

McHale has very little individual accolades compared to the other top PF's, that's all I'm saying. Tho he does have like six all-defensive teams but just ONE All-NBA Team.
    Playing with an all time great teams, especially at that time, meant some sacrifice of individual accolades for team success. James Worthy has significantly worse individual awards/accolades, yet I'm pretty sure I'm voting him over Carmelo.

Kevin McHale
    Bob Pettit
    Elvin Hayes
    Pau Gasol
    Anthony Davis

Yeah I got what you mean. You had guys like King, Nique, then Barkley and Mailman contending for those spots. Making All-NBA first team in that time frame was a tough nut to crack, especially when one of your own teammates had one of the forward positions on lock during their run.

College star

It's not really a fair point given that McHale was entirely a system player. He came off the bench for the majority of his career, including the playoffs I believe.

In fact, he has 971 career games played with just 400 starts. That's pretty telling. McHale's ability defensively and his low post presence makes me wonder why people rate him so low. I'd have to put him ahead of Dirk.

College star

Yeah I got what you mean. You had guys like King, Nique, then Barkley and Mailman contending for those spots. Making All-NBA first team in that time frame was a tough nut to crack, especially when one of your own teammates had one of the forward positions on lock during their run.
    Not to mention, Larry Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    Not to mention, Larry Bird.
    Yes that's who I was referring to 'one of your own teammates had one of the forward positions on lock'. I meant Bird lol....

College star

Yes that's who I was referring to 'one of your own teammates had one of the forward positions on lock'. I meant Bird lol....
    My bad, glossed over that, lol.

I usually hit open layups

More than likely KD will switch to the 4th spot. So he has a chance on becoming the best stretch-4 ever.