Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Re: In today's nba I won't draft a shooting guard with a questionable 3 points shooti

These dudes is too busy “topping” LeBron to care about context b.

Default Re: In today's nba I won't draft a shooting guard with a questionable 3 points shooti

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    So basically, no Jordan, Wade, West, Drexler, Kobe? But you'd prefer Allen, Miller, Houston, Richmond, and Klay? Interesting.
    Seems like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Seems like it.
    Wade and kobe were actually good 3 points shooters. I think Kobe had the record for most 3 pointers in a game before curry or klay broke that record.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23 View Post
    Wade and kobe were actually good 3 points shooters. I think Kobe had the record for most 3 pointers in a game before curry or klay broke that record.
    You consider Wade's career 29% in 3pt shooting as good?

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    You consider Wade's career 29% in 3pt shooting as good?
    Probably kobe. But wade was so fast in his prime. He destroyed the Pistons zone defense in 2006.

Probably kobe. But wade was so fast in his prime. He destroyed the Pistons zone defense in 2006.
    Sure but then again, i thought this thread was about their long-range shooting. They are pretty solid players tho.

College star

Kobe shot 33% and Wade 29%. It's funny how Wade is so fast in his prime, but what was MJ?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by And1AllDay View Post
    more skilled era requires more skill

back in the old days stars didnt even know how to dribble with both hands like drexler or shoot a 3 pointer like mike

it was a limited time

modern era is different and we see it you need to do a lot just to get a shot. no more grocery baggers round here
    Right but 4 of the top 5 players in the league are shooting under 35% and 3 of those shoot it at the same efficiency or worse than mj.

These bron stans dont know wtf they're talking about

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

How insecure are MJ stans? The OP didn't mention MJ. He made an obvious point: if you have a SG who can't space the floor that creates problems for teams in today's NBA. Wade rarely took threes but Wade is an extreme example. He is a top 25 all-time player--just because he could do it doesn't mean any SG could. There is no Wade in this year's draft.

If MJ played today he likely would learn to shoot threes decently enough to maintain a good percentage on high volume but we don't know for sure. He could be Wade, Butler, DeRozan and just not take threes.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    Harden shoots 36% from deep. I think you would take a player like him. MJ's first 5 seasons he shot just 20%. The next 8 he shot 36%. Even if you deduct the shortened line years, he's shooting 34% in the remaining years.

In an era like this, it's not difficult to imagine he would shoot 3pt %s similar to Harden.
    Harden shoots 36% while taking 13 threes a game. He would shoot a lot higher percentage if he didn't have that extreme volume. Shooting 36% on 13 attempts isn't the same as doing it on 4 attempts.

Right but 4 of the top 5 players in the league are shooting under 35% and 3 of those shoot it at the same efficiency or worse than mj.
    You guys are willfully ignoring volume. Ask 90's MJ to time travel to today and take 13 threes like Harden, 9 like Luka, or even 6 like LeBron and his efficiency would plummet.

Jordan's highest volume years from the regular NBA line were: 3.0, 2.9, and 1.5. Even with the shorter line he never took more than 3.6 attempts.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post
    How insecure are MJ stans? The OP didn't mention MJ. He made an obvious point: if you have a SG who can't space the floor that creates problems for teams in today's NBA. Wade rarely took threes but Wade is an extreme example. He is a top 25 all-time player--just because he could do it doesn't mean any SG could. There is no Wade in this year's draft.

If MJ played today he likely would learn to shoot threes decently enough to maintain a good percentage on high volume but we don't know for sure. He could be Wade, Butler, DeRozan and just not take threes.

Harden shoots 36% while taking 13 threes a game. He would shoot a lot higher percentage if he didn't have that extreme volume. Shooting 36% on 13 attempts isn't the same as doing it on 4 attempts.

You guys are willfully ignoring volume. Ask 90's MJ to time travel to today and take 13 threes like Harden, 9 like Luka, or even 6 like LeBron and his efficiency would plummet.

Jordan's highest volume years from the regular NBA line were: 3.0, 2.9, and 1.5. Even with the shorter line he never took more than 3.6 attempts.
    No it wouldn't. Mj is one of the best volume shooters ever. It dosnt matter if he shoots 10 or 50 shots hus efficiency is usually pretty consistent. 3's wouldn't be any different.

And your ignoring the defensive rules today and how it makes it easier for guya to get good looks. You cant even contest shots anymore. So let me get this straight. You cant touch the defender, you cant fight through screens and you can't contest shots. Its absolutely ridiculous. Thats a way bigger factor than volume. Talk about willfully ignoring shit

The fallacy of this thread is that the OP assumes MJ cannot develop his 3pt shooting in this era. Think about it, Lebron had none of that when he entered the league, and now hes shooting 3s at decent level. With proper training/development, MJ can shoot 3s as good as Kobe, who is at least 2 tiers above Lebron when it comes to long range shots. If Lebron can develop his 3pts shots, no way MJ cant do the same.

No it wouldn't. Mj is one of the best volume shooters ever. It dosnt matter if he shoots 10 or 50 shots hus efficiency is usually pretty consistent. 3's wouldn't be any different.
    This doesn't make sense. He rarely took threes--which means they tended to be higher quality looks--yet he would go from taking 1-2 threes a game to 13 with no decrease in efficiency?

And your ignoring the defensive rules today and how it makes it easier for guya to get good looks. You cant even contest shots anymore. So let me get this straight. You cant touch the defender, you cant fight through screens and you can't contest shots. Its absolutely ridiculous. Thats a way bigger factor than volume.
    What you listed (which somehow applies to MJ but none of his teammates who would face the same defenses ) doesn't erase the level of volume we are talking about. Do you think MJ could take 50 threes a game without any loss of efficiency? There is a reason Harden is the only one taking 13 threes a game. Even Curry never took that many.

Jordan has to be the best at everything. He was a 27-28% three point shooter on 1-2 threes a game from the normal line yet that volume could go from 1-2 to 12-13 with zero loss in efficiency? If so, why didn't MJ get the memo? There were people taking a lot more threes than he was when he played, including on his own team (even with the shorter line, in 97' he was 6th on the team in 3PA frequency as a % of his shots, between Kukoc and Rodman--and in the playoffs Rodman took more threes than MJ on a percentage basis). Why didn't MJ take 7, 8, 9 threes a game if he could shoot that many with no loss of efficiency?

Local High School Star

OP and Roundball_Rock wouldn't draft Jordan/Wade because of their three point percentage. That's enough of Moe and Curly. Where's Larry?

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSwish/Coach View Post
    OP and Roundball_Rock wouldn't draft Jordan/Wade because of their three point percentage. That's enough of Moe and Curly. Where's Larry?
    Where did I--or the OP say that? In particular I said:

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    He made an obvious point: if you have a SG who can't space the floor that creates problems for teams in today's NBA. Wade rarely took threes but Wade is an extreme example. He is a top 25 all-time player--just because he could do it doesn't mean any SG could. There is no Wade in this year's draft.
    I understand lying in is your DNA as a MJ stain, but the above was written just a few posts up. How dumb do you think people are?

I know you are insecure about MJ, but MJ and Wade are extreme examples. They could succeed with or without threes. Name a SG in this year's draft who could without shooting threes.

Ben Simmons is a PG but is another example of an exception because he is an extreme talent. 99% of PG's who can't shoot would fail because they don't have the other gifts Simmons has.

Lebron fans are starting to make me hate him with their mental gymnastics. But mj fans need to stop arguing with them. They just do it to get a rise out of them