Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Post Only Two Top 50 All-time Players Never Finished Top 5 in MVP? (Stockton and Miller)

I looked at the highest MVP finishes of the top 20-50 all-time players (using ESPN's list) since there is a lot of cherry picking about specific players who had the same finish, to identify what general trends there are for players at certain levels. I assumed every player higher than these guys all-time had finished top 3 at some point so I didn't look at them.

Two players are outliers, as they are the only players who never made the top 5--Stockton and Miller. Miller did not even crack the top 10 (his highest finish was 13th when he tied teammate Jalen Rose with one fifth place vote in 00').

KG: 1st
    Pippen: 3rd
    Baylor: 2nd
    Barkley: 1st
    Robinson: 1st
    Kawhi: 2nd
    Wade: 3rd
    Giannis: 1st
    Stockton: 7th
    Iverson: 1st
    Nash: 1st
    Isiah: 5th
    Harden: 1st
    Havlicek: 4th
    Mikan: N/A (award did not exist)
    McHale: 4th
    Ewing: 4th
    Petit: 1st
    Frazier: 4th
    Paul: 2nd
    Cousy: 1st
    Westbrook: 1st
    Barry: 2nd
    Hayes: 3rd
    Davis: 3rd
    Wilkins: 2nd
    Gervin: 2nd
    Walton: 1st
    Miller: 13th
    Unseld: 1st

I compared Stockton to his PG contemporaries and he was at the bottom of the group.

Magic: 1st
    Payton: 3rd
    Penny: 3rd
    T. Hardaway: 4th
    Price: 7th
    K. Johnson: 7th

Tim Hardaway did it but Stockton couldn't?

Hornets and Suns 4lyfe Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: Only Two Top 50 All-time Players Never Finished Top 5 in MVP? (Stockton and Mille

Reggie isn't a top 50 player of all time. lol

Decent college freshman Shooter's Avatar

Default Re: Only Two Top 50 All-time Players Never Finished Top 5 in MVP? (Stockton and Mille

Meanwhile Pip is scooping up top 3 and top 5

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post
    I looked at the highest MVP finishes of the top 20-50 all-time players (using ESPN's list) since there is a lot of cherry picking about specific players who had the same finish, to identify what general trends there are for players at certain levels. I assumed every player higher than these guys all-time had finished top 3 at some point so I didn't look at them.

Two players are outliers, as they are the only players who never made the top 5--Stockton and Miller. Miller did not even crack the top 10 (his highest finish was 13th when he tied teammate Jalen Rose with one fifth place vote in 00').

KG: 1st
    Pippen: 3rd
    Baylor: 2nd
    Barkley: 1st
    Robinson: 1st
    Kawhi: 2nd
    Wade: 3rd
    Giannis: 1st
    Iverson: 1st
    Nash: 1st
    Harden: 1st
    Havlicek: 4th
    Mikan: N/A (award did not exist)
    McHale: 4th
    Ewing: 4th
    Petit: 1st
    Frazier: 4th
    Paul: 2nd
    Cousy: 1st
    Westbrook: 1st
    Barry: 2nd
    Hayes: 3rd
    Davis: 3rd
    Wilkins: 2nd
    Gervin: 2nd
    Walton: 1st
    Miller: 13th
    Unseld: 1st

I compared Stockton to his PG contemporaries and he was at the bottom of the group.

Magic: 1st
    Payton: 3rd
    Penny: 3rd
    T. Hardaway: 4th
    Price: 7th
    K. Johnson: 7th

Tim Hardaway did it but Stockton couldn't?
    Ok So whats the point?

It was a loaded era. And yea not sure Reggie is still top 50...

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    Ok So whats the point?
    Reggie Miller was a #1 option on a team that took MJ to 7 games but MJ's own #2 option was better than his most challenging team's #1 option.

WEAK ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Reggie Miller was a #1 option on a team that took MJ to 7 games but MJ's own #2 option was better than his most challenging team's #1 option.

WEAK ERA
    Yeah and Kyrie played better than a 73 win team's first option so what's your point exactly aside from the Pacers being a balanced team not a topheavy one?

They were more like the 14 Spurs than the 11 Mavs. Their star was on the same level as 3 other players.

And yes, Miller shouldn't be in the top50 discussion. He gets overglorified for playoff moments. Not even runs - moments..

Reggie is ranked way too high. 49th??? lol no.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    Yeah and Kyrie played better than a 73 win team's first option so what's your point exactly aside from the Pacers being a balanced team not a topheavy one?

They were more like the 14 Spurs than the 11 Mavs. Their star was on the same level as 3 other players.

And yes, Miller shouldn't be in the top50 discussion. He gets overglorified for playoff moments. Not even runs - moments..
    What's my point? This is obvious at this point. Reggie Miller was the #1 option on a team that took MJ to 7 games but MJ's own #2 option was better than his most challenging team's #1 option.

WEAK ERA

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

With Reggie Not having made it in 96 and having to add Kobe, Tim Duncan, KG, Dirk, Lebron, Wade, Durant, Steph, Nash, Kidd, Paul, Leonard, and Harden even while ignoring guys with limited runs like Giannis, Anthony Davis, Tmac, Lillard, and plenty of random guys who are like 10-12 time all stars and all NBA like Gary Payton, AI, Ray Allen, Pierce and so on.....then consider the young guys like Luka and Jokic who are building careers?

Reggie probably wouldnt make an NBA at 75 list. I guess we will find out next year though. They wont remove anyone but they will probably find a way to sneak him in off name recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    What's my point? This is obvious at this point. Reggie Miller was the #1 option on a team that took MJ to 7 games but MJ's own #2 option was better than his most challenging team's #1 option.

WEAK ERA
    Kyrie the cancer played better than Curry on Lebron's greatest chip. Weak era.

Made that high school varsity squad 8Ball's Avatar

Reggie is worst than klay Thomson and Paul George.

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    Reggie is worst than klay Thomson and Paul George.
    100% picking Klay over Reggie. Klay plays defense.

Kyrie the cancer played better than Curry on Lebron's greatest chip. Weak era.
    One series versus a career
    #TryAgain

Curry's Career > Kyrie's
    Scottie's Career > Reggie

Care to disagree?

Local High School Star Reggie43's Avatar

Not even runs - moments..
    He has had playoff runs to the Conference Finals/Finals where he averaged around 24-25 points per game and helped lead his team to wins over MVP caliber players like Shaq, Ewing, Iverson etc. Is not that a good enough "run" compared to his peers?