Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Default 1992-93 NBA Altercations, Taunting, & Fights Mix (SportsCenter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eikxr8jMXQo

Man have things changed in the NBA from my youth

I don't support violence but the NBA was alot tougher back then and contact was allowed

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: 1992-93 NBA Altercations, Taunting, & Fights Mix (SportsCenter)

That Bol swing at 4:23 is too much.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    That Bol swing at 4:23 is too much.
    lol

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I love the number of times you hear the word "Oakley" in there.

The league obviously got softer but a lot of young fans genuinely cant get their heads around how the physical play made it harder to play well at times and accordingly....makes the people who remember that time have a little extra respect for the players who still thrived. Great is great. Todays great players would be great then and those great players would be great now. But we would get to see todays guys deal with a little more physical adversity and thats not always a bad thing when evaluating a player. I dont know how tough a lot of todays guys are because they dont often get a chance to need to be tough. When old guys say that kids think you mean the head splitting malone elbows and all....and we dont. We all hated Karl Malone for that shit even then. We mean the general added layer of physicality that makes it a little harder to take over.

It would be nice to see what some of these guys would do vs some of these goon squads.

Just be another aspect of the game to see them adjust to.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

i will admit it makes you more emotionally invested. it makes you wanna fight a *****.

Reggie got punched in the face by MJ, and got ejected for it lmao. never change league.

Amazing that was all from 1 season too. It does put into perspective how much the league has changed.

Def takes me back to those ESPN good ol days. Watching Sports Center every morning while I was supposed to be getting ready for school. Every highlight in that video I'm sure I saw at the time it aired, watching as a 9 year old in front of a boxy television in the living room while eating frosted mini wheats.

Now the league is soft, the network is politically correct, and the players are woke.

What a time.

I started watching basketball in the 94-95 Season, so this is the NBA I grew up on.
    When the players from back then say the league is soft and has changed they're not hating. That's how they played.

3-time NBA All-Star

Yeah its good they got rid of the goon shit but i do miss the physical play and intensity. Maybe you cant have one without the other though so they just got rid of it all.

Decent college freshman

The game is just as physical nowadays.

Anyone can cherrypick some heated moments and make it seem like the NBA was tougher 30 years ago when that really wasn't the case.

Boomers need to take off the nostalgia goggles.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Woke View Post
    The game is just as physical nowadays.

Anyone can cherrypick some heated moments and make it seem like the NBA was tougher 30 years ago when that really wasn't the case.

Boomers need to take off the nostalgia goggles.
    Yeah ok buddy. The league put rules in to stop this shit. Its in there own mandate its not even arguable. The nba is definitely way less physical now.

@ 11:34 you'll see coaches fighting refs including sloan.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    Yeah ok buddy. The league put rules in to stop this shit. Its in there own mandate its not even arguable. The nba is definitely way less physical now.
    I don’t know why people who weren’t there insist on having opinions....

It being more violent is just a fact. And it extended beyond player on player too.

A ref I came up watching had to call a game with a broken hand because he punched a fan in the face for heckling him. Same ref beat up Dick Bavetta for overruling a call of his and in his early days got into a fight with the GM of the Hawks. This was a few years after a coach punched the owner of the Hawks in the face in the middle of a game and got a 300 dollar fine for it.

Cedric Maxwell wasn’t suspended or even ejected for fighting these fans right here in a playoff game:

Which was like the third fight of that series. He had 19 in a one point win the next game(game 7) and won finals mvp next series. Today he’d have been suspended the playoffs and probably all of the following season and changed history.

There was simply a lot more tolerance for the physical conflict that came with playing to win and players not being all buddy buddy like today.

Everyone grows up together now. Half the league played each other in AAU and the player movement makes half the league your teammates at some point. Guys are friends now.

50s to 90s guys were adversaries for 10-15 years at a time and grudges built up.

Comparing the physical nature of a game today to like...a Knicks/Heat game where like 7 guys on each side have fought someone on the other team is just stupid. Like...nothing about this was unexpected:

That’s what you get when the Knicks play the Heat.

Fans who got into the game after the nba got shook and cleaned it up are just never gonna understand it.

Danny Ainge and Isiah Thomas fought like 15 people a piece. I can remember 4 centers alone Isiah brawled with. Danny Ainge nearly bit Kevin Willis finger off and I think it was the same year Isiah hopped on his back and put him in a choke hold.

That shit does not happen today. And maybe it shouldn’t. But it is what it is.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    You are wrong buddy boy.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Woke View Post
    You are wrong buddy boy.
    Sure. Its all just one big conspiracy and even the nba is in on it