Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    College star

Default Re: Is Curry really the second greatest PG of all-time after MAGIC?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephonit View Post
    To opine that Curry is not an all-time great in the playoffs shows that they don't know how to watch the games.

Case in point:

No one facilitates his team's offense as much as Curry. Defensive schemes and player types have been rendered obsolete because of him. If you don't understand that you don't know what's been going on the past 5 years.
    This is a very good point. Very few players can say they have revolutionized the way the game is played. Curry is one of those guys whether you like today's style of play. Now everyone wants to shoot 3s three feet and above the three point line. Not to mention three point shooting all together. Teams seemed to cater to that knowing that they would have to go through Golden State in order to win a title.

Does LeBron or Magic hold the +/- record in the playoffs? Was it Curry or LeBron who was the first player born in Akron to lead his NBA team to a championship in Cleveland? Who holds the record for highest PPG average in a playoffs sweep? Magic level in the playoffs? What's that? Getting favorable whistles in the playoffs like James Harden does in the regular season?
    Im not sure those questions lead to anything. People watch these games.

I usually hit open layups

I guess the truth hurts, little man!

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Dagoods View Post
    I saw Stockton's entire career and I wouldn't take Curry over Stockton, not even at gunpoint!

I understand he actually won rings and all but on ability alone, besides his range and shooting skills, he's quite average.

Like I said, SHAQ won more titles than WILT but WILT is still regarded as the better player because that's exactly what he was.

So why does CURRY get away with this?
    You are delusional. Curry is an MVP winner and Stockton was only First Team All NBA twice in 19 seasons.

National High School Star tanibanana's Avatar

To opine that Curry is not an all-time great in the playoffs shows that they don't know how to watch the games.

Case in point:

No one facilitates his team's offense as much as Curry. Defensive schemes and player types have been rendered obsolete because of him. If you don't understand that you don't know what's been going on the past 5 years.
    I am actually in agreement Curry is without a doubt the greatest PG after Magic.
    I just pointed out the traditional PG type of playing, which some uses it against Curry.
    You need to watch Curry, to appreciate him.
    Curry is not the traditional PG which one of the many reasons why he was this great.

Quote Originally Posted by tanibanana View Post
    I am actually in agreement Curry is without a doubt the greatest PG after Magic.
    I just pointed out the traditional PG type of playing, which some uses it against Curry.
    You need to watch Curry, to appreciate him.
    Curry is not the traditional PG which one of the many reasons why he was this great.
    He's great in the rs. He's made more three-point shots in his second-straight mvp season alone than the whole '11-12 lakers combined. However, that shooting streak dissolves in the playoffs and while he can provide spacing for other potential players, he's not a good defender and he's not exactly clutch as well. Double teams can also rend him useless. They are effective against curry due to his small size but obviously, he'd let klay or his other peers take advantage while they are busy swarming the chef.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Im not sure those questions lead to anything. People watch these games.
    People watch the games but keep coming away with dumb takes. People claim Trump is the worst president ever and yet he still gets half the vote.

Magic
    Oscar
    Curry
    CP3
    Zeke

I think

Quote Originally Posted by Dagoods View Post
    CURRY's:
    3× NBA champion (2015, 2017, 2018) - The only unanimous MVP winner in history.
    2× NBA Most Valuable Player (2015, 2016)
    6× NBA All-Star (2014–2019)
    3 × All-NBA First Team (2015, 2016, 2019)
    NBA scoring champion (2016)
    NBA steals leader (2016)

To most, he's the greatest shooter of all-time (I still think this title belongs to BIRD). But he's an average defender and playmaker.

I think he's pretty damn awesome, superb shooter but how on earth can anyone claim he's better than the likes of:
    Big-O (2-way player, better playmaker), Stockton (Superb shooter, 2-way player, better playmaker) Thomas (better handles, better playmaker, better defender, more clutch), Kidd (2-way player, better playmaker). Heck, I think even CP3 may be overall better.

Curry has won more titles than the aforementioned and MVPs but does that make him overall better?
    For example, The Big-O and Stockton won more assists titles than Curry.

SHAQ has won 4 rings and 3 FINALS MVPs but he still is not considered better than Russell, Kareem, and Wilt.
    Yes, he won more rings than WILT, but WILT won way more scoring titles and was a much better defender. So how come
    Curry gets a pass?

What say you?
    Your thoughts...your thoughts
    If I'm building an all-time starting 5 that I was creating to win actual games I would have it centered around LeBron James, so Magic Johnson would not be needed, and I would instead have Curry at PG.

What does that mean?

Well what it actually means is that LeBron is actually a better point guard than both Magic and Curry (LeBron can do Magic's job at point, obviously, plus he does everything else better than Magic. LeBron is better than Curry at everything except three point shooting).

But, look, the future of basketball going forward will have three point shooting as an absolute requirement. All of the players of the past that couldn't shoot well (like Magic) will have a negative legacy impact over time going into the future.

People watch the games but keep coming away with dumb takes. People claim Trump is the worst president ever and yet he still gets half the vote.
    Well, there are still a lot of magatards roaming on their soil.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    LeBron is better than Curry at everything except three point shooting.
    Another simplistic reductionist erroneous assessment that shows people don't really watch the games. Let's not even wade into the implications of being a better three point shooter like higher efficiency and increased gravity. Curry has better court coverage, faster hands, and is a superior decoy.
    Last edited by Stephonit; 11-05-2020 at 01:25 AM.