Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Top five NFL quarterbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    True, but I'm sure the broken ribs and torn rotator cuff had something to do with that. From week 1-9, before the injury, Brees had a 17-3 TD-INT ratio and a 110 QB rating, that is top 5 material.
    But the entirety of that was based on safe throws to Kamara or Thomas. You could tell by watching that it wouldn’t be sustainable at all. If you can’t move the ball downfield you won’t be successful. Peyton winning a super bowl that way is the absolute exception.

Allen is bobbing and weaving in the pocket and throwing dimes running to his left to the sideline 30 yards downfield. He’s better right now.

If you were to chose between both guys regardless of scheme, it’s Allen. Not close.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    But the entirety of that was based on safe throws to Kamara or Thomas. You could tell by watching that it wouldn’t be sustainable at all. If you can’t move the ball downfield you won’t be successful. Peyton winning a super bowl that way is the absolute exception.

Allen is bobbing and weaving in the pocket and throwing dimes running to his left to the sideline 30 yards downfield. He’s better right now.

If you were to chose between both guys regardless of scheme, it’s Allen. Not close.
    Did you forget that Michael Thomas missed weeks 2-8? He was pretty much out of the lineup when Brees was healthy and Brees still balled out. And Brees was never really been known for throwing the ball downfield, he has never had a strong arm, he was mostly known for his accuracy on short and intermidiate throws.

For comparison sake, Brees this year averaged 7.5 yards per pass attempt, Brees from 2012-2016 averaged 7.7 yards per attempt, which is not much of a drop off whatsoever and Brees in those years was having 5,000 yard seasons. Hell, Brady this year had 7.6 yards per pass attempt, in 2014 he was at 7.1 yards per pass attempt and won a damn super bowl.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Did you forget that Michael Thomas missed weeks 2-8? He was pretty much out of the lineup when Brees was healthy and Brees still balled out. And Brees was never really been known for throwing the ball downfield, he has never had a strong arm, he was mostly known for his accuracy on short and intermidiate throws.

For comparison sake, Brees this year averaged 7.5 yards per pass attempt, Brees from 2012-2016 averaged 7.7 yards per attempt, which is not much of a drop off whatsoever and Brees in those years was having 5,000 yard seasons. Hell, Brady this year had 7.6 yards per pass attempt, in 2014 he was at 7.1 yards per pass attempt and won a damn super bowl.
    Again, I’m using an eye test metric here. I don’t have the numbers in front of me but I’d be willing to wager that his y/a being similar this year to past ones is heavily YAC related. Screens, slants, etc.

Brees absolutely could get the ball downfield, but whether or not he’s known for it doesn’t matter. Just having that element keeps defenses on their toes. When they know for a fact that he CAN’T throw 25 yards it eliminates some things that they have to worry about with other guys.

I mean...he’s very likely about to retire. He’s not a top 5 quarterback anymore.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Again, I’m using an eye test metric here. I don’t have the numbers in front of me but I’d be willing to wager that his y/a being similar this year to past ones is heavily YAC related. Screens, slants, etc.

Brees absolutely could get the ball downfield, but whether or not he’s known for it doesn’t matter. Just having that element keeps defenses on their toes. When they know for a fact that he CAN’T throw 25 yards it eliminates some things that they have to worry about with other guys.

I mean...he’s very likely about to retire. He’s not a top 5 quarterback anymore.
    I've seen a few Saints games this year, and from week 3 up until he broke his ribs, he absolutely passed the eye test and that was without Michael Thomas, Brees was throwing to a bunch of average WRs out there. You don't think not having Thomas out there didn't hurt his efficiency? Give Josh Allen targets like Sanders, Cook, & Smith instead of Diggs, Beasley, Davis, & Brown and we will see how his play regresses.

Allen had a better season than Brees, nobody disputes this, but this is Allen's first pro bowl season, so naturally I'm hesitant to put him in the top 5 considering many young QBs have had elite seasons despite not following it up the next year. Allen may very well be top 5, but I have to see if he can maintain that level of play next season.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duderonomy View Post
    1.Josh Allen
    2. Pat Maholmes
    3. Aaron Rodgers
    4. Tom Brady
    5.Russell Wilson