Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Draft day, free agency, training camp, pre season...

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2...imeline-means/

Even as relatively mature and experienced rookies — the Kansas center played four seasons of college ball, while the Syracuse wing was a fourth-year junior — they both said there was no substitute for experience in adjusting to the speed and size and spacing of the NBA game.

Didn't realize Hughes came out early. Still older than Udoka

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...jan-bogdanovic

Jazz Mailbag: A shortened season could mean more rest for the stars and more opportunity for others

I doubt it

It’s going to make the roles of the end of bench players, two-way players, and rookies even more important during the regular season and give them more opportunity than they might have had during a normal, non-pandemic season.

be nice to have some proven vets

The Jazz absolutely had backup plans if they weren’t able to get a deal done with Derrick Favors. Any team heads into the offseason knowing that there’s a slight chance that Plan A could backfire, but there also was a lot of reason to believe that they would be able to get the deal done, and they did.

probably more than a slight chance as we saw with Mitotic. The fact that Favors and Clarkson were plan A is the worrisome part

As for who might get more playing time between Brantley, Morgan and Oni, it really is going to depend on how the season unfolds and who is available or resting during certain matchups. If this was in more of a vacuum I would anticipate Oni getting a good amount of opportunity with his ability to play on the wing and his defensive promise.

Brantley is even more versatile and longer and better defensively

There’s reason to believe that he might be one of the players that the Jazz are cautious with this season and allow him some rest, especially through heavy game sets. There’s really no reason to rush things with Bogey, the Jazz need him in the playoffs. But, there’s no reason to believe that he’s anything other than ready from the reports coming out of training camp.

the playoffs aren't a given

Donovan Mitchell and Mike Conley will share majority of point guard minutes but the Jazz have also run plenty of sets with Joe Ingles as the initiator as well as Jordan Clarkson. They have plenty of capable ball handlers that can initiate offense without having to dig down into the third string of players, and when the games really matter in the postseason a third point guard wouldn’t even crack the rotation.

Yeah Clarkson at the point! There's a great idea. They sure could have used a 3rd pg in the bubble when Mudiay didn't play. Conley is sure to miss time

If Clarkson had been with the Jazz for the entire season last year and had been as efficient as he was for the Jazz he could have had a real case for Sixth Man of the Year consideration. It’ll depend a lot on what he’s able to do this season but I absolutely wouldn’t count him out.

hopefully he's on another team by then!

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...-camp-underway

The good news is that the Jazz are not unique in dealing with time constraints, the whole league is learning as they go.

the good news is the Stars will be waiting for them

Though a proposal for a bubble campus in Atlanta with teams playing around 12 games before a playoff tournament has gained momentum, the G-League is still in the preliminary stages of forming its plans. A major factor toward determining the format was to have teams provide their commitment to play or sit out this week, giving the league a more concrete understanding of how to proceed with finalizing a format, per league sources.
    – via Jared Weiss @ The Athletic

https://kslsports.com/448127/jazz-pr...ilbag-answers/

Jazz fans should get an early look at Elijah Hughes, Udoka Azubuike, and two-way rookie Trent Forrest during the preseason, but how much those three play may depend on the Jazz approach to the preseason.

like last year I imagine though there are fewer games. They'll get a look briefly with the 3rd or 4th unit

Unless Williams-Goss has taken a major leap forward in his second season, the Jazz don’t have a true backup point guard on the roster. They can rely on Ingles, Mitchell, and Clarkson for depth, but any real injury could be cause for concern.

Clarkson!

I don’t think the Jazz are totally unprepared for that scenario and I think it factored into re-signing Favors and drafting Azubuike, but the Jazz won’t be better if Gobert leaves the roster.

no they'll likely suck

My guess is a deal still gets done, but I am a little surprised it’s taken this long.

first super max in team history. Not surprising

Anderson: This is a good question and it probably has a few answers. First, Hughes offers the Jazz something that they think could have more value next season if they need him with the main roster more frequently than they do Brantley.

Why would they think that though? Not great length and 34% shooter. They need D

While Ingles can play on the wing behind O’Neale, as can Bogdanovic and potentially Oni, the Jazz just really don’t have a lot of depth with 6’6 guys who can put the ball on the floor, shoot, and move their feet. Hughes might be able to do those things, and that gives him a leg up.

Brantley does it all and has proven it at the Gleague level and a bit with the Jazz.

That gives Hughes more leverage than Brantley, and it may have earned him a guaranteed deal.

I'd guess Brantley had the choice of a non guaranteed cap deal or the two way and he took the latter. Pretty sad to make all gleague and not get promoted. Hard to understand what they see in Hughes with Oni and Brantley not to mention Goss, Forman and Tucker. Pretty much the same length as Forman and not as good of a shooter. Needed a 1 which I guess they got with the Ricky wannabe

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2020/...ers-suns-bold/

When the buzzer sounded at the end of Game 7, the Jazz had to leave the bubble after an 80-78 defeat. Donovan Mitchell looked like a superstar in the series and Michael Conley, who had an up and down season with the Jazz looked like he finally found his game in the series. Rudy Gobert and Joe Ingles are two players the Jazz can always count on.

the superstar that isn't consistent and plays one end of the floor. Conley back to 3rd or 4th or 5th option now. Ingles couldn't be counted on the past two years

One key piece that wasn’t in the bubble that the Jazz missed was sharpshooting forward Bojan Bogdanovic. Having him back for a full season is like adding a free agent. Signing former Jazz center Derrick Favors was a solid move and re-signing instant-offense Jordan Clarkson was a no-brainier for the Jazz, who can never have enough shot makers and playmakers. As long as they are healthy, the Jazz should continue to be a playoff team.

Favors spotting up in the corner and tax for the gunner. F!

https://kslsports.com/448186/byu-coa...ity-with-jazz/

The Exhibit-10 deal also gives the Jazz added rights to Toolson, should they decide to waive him, but want to see him play for the G League affiliate Utah Stars.

assuming they will have a team

As an undrafted rookie, Toolson remains a long shot to make the Jazz opening night roster. But with an open spot on the 15-man depth chart, the depth chart is far from finalized.

They have several open roster spots with 4 non guaranteed deal but I'd guess the one open one and Goss' could be had by the right guys. Ideally vets. Have too many young guys already

He's good. He's got an old school game though. Not sure he's an NBA player today

https://kslsports.com/448177/bojan-b...n-jazz-opener/

“I think that both of them are ready to step in and play some minutes,” Bogdanovic said.

13th and 14 guys

“The big guy is pretty athletic, I’m surprised that he’s that good and he was drafted that late in the first round,” Bogdanovic said of the reserve center. “He really goes hard against Rudy [Gobert]. Like I said, I think really that they can help us.”

He sounds like he has Rudy potential in a bigger body. Good thing they don't need to rush him though

Conley Back At Practice
    good news

https://kslsports.com/448161/deron-w...m-jerry-sloan/

“To start off the season I was playing second quarters and fourth quarters,” Williams remembered. “That’s it.”

I remember him being the starter at the beginning of the year and was behind Palacio and McCleod or something later on before ending strongly as the starter again

“Every training camp we would have our team meeting and coach Sloan […] would flip through this book,” Williams said. “He’d have his glasses on and he would be reading and he would take them off and he would be mad like we did something wrong. But it’s the first meeting ever when he’s going over the rules, he was already mad because he knows somebody’s going break the rule.”

https://kslsports.com/448150/jazz-in...nkings-51-100/

89. Joe Ingles – Previous Rank: 62

Joe Ingles dropped 27 spots in this year’s ranking, largely due to his dip in play last season as a result of moving in and out of the starting lineup.
    Should have dropped last year too. He's fallin' off. Might earn him another extension though!

73. Bojan Bogdanovic – Previous Rank: 48
    Bojan Bogdanovic dropped nearly as far as Ingles in the ESPN rankings, dipping 25 spots from last year’s ranking. The experts at ESPN attribute the sharpshooter’s dip to his injured wrist and the fact that he has three years and $56 million left on his deal.
    You'd think he would have moved up

Gobert is almost sure to drop, the question is, will Mitchell leap in this year’s rankings?

No way Mitchell should even be close to Rudy

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat...et-this-season

So what should we expect this season? Is Joe Ingles on the decline? Or was it just an off year during a global pandemic with some additional personal life changes? Honestly, I don’t think anyone knows yet. But I do think there is reason for optimism.

There's not much doubt. Seen it the past two years. He needs to be put in the proper role and not asked to be a 6th man or to play heavy minutes. Hit open shots, run pick and roll and get under the other teams skin

“My shot feels great. My body feels fit. I feel good.”
    wonder if he'll look fit? He never has!

But more importantly, his best running mate is back. I think Joe had a hard time fitting in with the bench unit last year. He played great with the starters, but understandably had a harder time with guys like Clarkson, Niang, and Bradley. The front office prioritized the bench defense this offseason by bringing in Derrick Favors. That will undoubtedly bring Joe’s game back as well.
    It's not understandable. He started off as a bench player. No reason he can't be now. He's a role player. Always has been. Bradley and Gobert were good in pick and roll. Open shots were there. Opposing teams were there to get under their skin

Jazz depth was a catastrophe last year. Before Jordan Clarkson was brought in it was an absolute embarrassment. It was like clock work the way the starters would build a lead and the bench would just obliterate it. Now? Their 8-man rotation is ridiculous. Assuming everyone stays healthy, the Jazz have Clarkson, Ingles, and Favors as guys 6, 7, and 8 on the roster. Hopefully that difference brings Joe Ingles back to his natural habitat.

We'll see. Clarkson doesn't fit. Favors spotting up in the corner doesn't fit and Ingles is definitely on the decline

https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/utah-j...ointers-season

It’s easy enough to see why.

so he doesn't put it on the floor and turn it over?

https://www.ksl.com/article/50062651...-3-and-d-wings

There hasn't been a specific NBA moment that Snyder can point to for Oni, though he did say he was pleased with Oni's minutes in the Disney bubble — but that could be coming soon. The Jazz didn't pick up additional wing help in the offseason (to the bemoans of many in the fan base) and the organization is anticipating players missing time periodically throughout the season due to COVID-19 protocols.

ad didn't get a starting 4 other than Favors spotting up for 3 in the corner

Still, Oni said perimeter shooting was the main thing he worked on, especially corner 3-point shooting, during the short offseason. As Snyder said, it's about perfecting the role.

seemed to like the elbow most especially left side

And it's a role the Jazz could need more this season than in a normal year, especially as Utah sees itself as a contending team. Second-year players that were taken late in the second round of the draft don't often contribute, but this is no normal season. Mike Conley missed the start of training camp simply due to close contact with someone who has tested positive for the coronavirus. The Jazz aren't naive enough to think that something like that won't happen during the season.

1st year ones get guaranteed money over those that have proven something already

That's why Snyder wasn't surprised he was being asked about Oni or fellow second-year player Juwan Morgan, because it's very likely they'll be needed at some point this season.

hard to believe the all gleaguer is all but forgotten