Good college starter

Default How long could have Wilt Chamberlain played in the Nba if he had wanted too.

When Wilt Chamberlain retired in 1973 Wilt was averaging 13/19/5 on 73% and was also first in RPG and FG% along with shot-blocking and also finished 4 in MVP voting that year.

Therefore how long do you think Wilt could have played his role, the Bill Russell role past 1973. It should be noted that Russell himself said this in 1973 Wilt is playing better then I used to –passing off, coming out to set up screens, picking up guys outside, and sacrificing himself for team play.’’ –Bill Russell, great moments in pro basketball, (by Sam Goldaper)p.24

1974 I see Wilt this season at age 37 once again repeating what he did in 1973 through I don't think the Lakers make it back to the finals this year. Through it would have been very interesting to see both West and Oscar going at it again in the playoffs with it being each player's very last year in the Nba.

1975 I can see Wilt once again doing what he did in 1974 even though he would be 38 years old at this point through I think the Lakers with West now gone would struggle to make the playoffs this year so a successful season for Wilt individually but not a successful season for the Lakers as a whole is my thoughts.

Past 1975 is hard for me to predict through as I still think Wilt would still be a dominate rebounder and defender despite him now entering into his 40's and as a result of that, he would be a valuable player to contending teams such as the doctor j 76ers and Seattle and some other teams around the Nba.

Through I think Wilt wouldn't want to be coached by his age-old nemesis in Russell who mind you he still hated at the time for his comments about him after the 1969 finals had ended.

Decent college freshman

Default Re: How long could have Wilt Chamberlain played in the Nba if he had wanted too.

Not much longer than he did. Knee surgeries catch up

Good college starter

Default Re: How long could have Wilt Chamberlain played in the Nba if he had wanted too.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGoat View Post
    Not much longer than he did. Knee surgeries catch up
    He was still getting offers to come out of retirement and play even in 1988 by both the Lakers and Clippers which was a great source of pride for Wilt as he bragged about it in his books which I have read and he even wondered in the book if teams would offer Kareem a contact in 2004 15 years past his retirement date as they had done for him.

But I still think he at the very least could have played upwards to 1983 as this story by Larry brown still shows how good Wilt was despite being in his early 40's by the time this story had occurred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN0Q3KcKA_E

15x2

Wilt played as long as he wanted to.

He retired because, and I quote, “I don’t want to give my time to the man, so to speak. Or to any man. I don’t want to work for anybody else ever again.”

He was done.

Seriously, without young age restrictions, Wilt could have a 30 year long career if we wanted. Because it's equally interesting to ponder what would be the youngest version of Wilt to be able to play at a reasonable competitive level. He was completely dominating as George Marcus at ages as young as 16-17, posting 1962 stats vs pro adults. Also, remember those early videos of him catching the ball in the air, then dribbling down the court and finishing with a fancy layup? He was only 16-17 back then. Just for reference, in the NBA, George Mikan was still #1. I can see Wilt already holding his own against anyone in '54 - not necessarily saying he would already be the best player in the NBA, due to lack of maturity and experience, but he'd have plenty of dominant nights.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas View Post
    Seriously, without young age restrictions, Wilt could have a 30 year long career if we wanted. Because it's equally interesting to ponder what would be the youngest version of Wilt to be able to play at a reasonable competitive level. He was completely dominating as George Marcus at ages as young as 16-17, posting 1962 stats vs pro adults. Also, remember those early videos of him catching the ball in the air, then dribbling down the court and finishing with a fancy layup? He was only 16-17 back then. Just for reference, in the NBA, George Mikan was still #1. I can see Wilt already holding his own against anyone in '54 - not necessarily saying he would already be the best player in the NBA, due to lack of maturity and experience, but he'd have plenty of dominant nights.

Agreed would have been very interesting if Wilt was allowed to join the Nba right out of the highschool and join the Warriors he most likely has more rings and even better all-time stats by the time he retires which is crazy.