Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Default Re: Buying my first gun soon

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369 View Post
    Unfortunately in Cook County Illinois I cant buy ammunition online. And it seems like a lot of shops near me are out due to the shortage XD.
    In my very first post to this thread I mentioned this. .380 seems it's always one of the first calibers to go out of stock during shortages. And the places you can find it, they jack up the prices 2 or 3 fold until ammo manufacturers start replenishing shelves again. 9mm on the other hand can usually still be found during shortages and the price gouging isn't as bad because the ammo manufacturers concentrate on pumping out the more popular cartridges during shortages. Sucks to pay twice as much for a cartridge that's half the power

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post

.380 is a good back up gun and nice and slim for concealed carry but that's about it. The ammo is usually more expensive than 9mm which is more powerful and it seems like it's one of the first to go out of stock during shortages like right now. The big ammo companies like to concentrate on pumping out .22, 9mm, .40, .45 and 5.56 during high demand times.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Definitely hefty, but not uncomfortably so. Also a looker for sure. Haven't fired it yet but I'm happy with it. Only complaint is the Tangs edges. Though not sharp they dig into the webbing of my hand. Seen videos of people who shot it all day getting little marks in that exact area. Wish they rounded it out a little more.

Some lightweight tactical gloves will help I imagine?
    I’m not really fan of those but that is actually pretty nice. For the sharp edges you could try to file it down and get a camfer on it. Instead of it meeting at 90 degrees and leaving a sharp edges you would want to get that old 90 degree edge part flat so it’s broken up into two 45 degree angles on each side meeting a flat edge instead. However though I would just try to keep that gun as original as possible. If it gets that bad you could get some gloves for shooting it at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    Just a bad choice for a first gun. Unless you plan on concealed carry and want a cool looking piece. Either that or you're a vintage James Bond fan.

.380 is a good back up gun and nice and slim for concealed carry but that's about it. The ammo is usually more expensive than 9mm which is more powerful and it seems like it's one of the first to go out of stock during shortages like right now. The big ammo companies like to concentrate on pumping out .22, 9mm, .40, .45 and 5.56 during high demand times.

The Walther can also be finicky gun as well. Better to stick with a workhorse 9mm like an ultra reliable Glock 19 or a S&W M&P 9mm for a first gun unless you have the bucks for a Sig.

If you're buying the gun just for the looks, get the Walther though. It's a sweet looking pistol.

This. Cosigned on the Glock 19 too.

Getting some ammo today finally, lucked out big time.

Not the best but Wather PPK/S users have said their guns shoot hundreds of rounds with this and don't have malfunctions. Not the absolute best pocket/conceal carry gun but it's definitely the best looking and reliable if you have money for good ammo

Other toys

"Yep, "9mm Short" is merely the European nomenclature for the .380 ACP cartridge. A word of warning though, European .380 ACP tends to be loaded hotter than North American ammo, so don't be surprised if it has more recoil than your average domestically produced ammo.
    So yeah, if you've ever wondered why European .380 Pistols like the Walther PPK and Beretta Cheetah are built like tanks or why European police carried .380 Pistols well into the 1980s, that's why.

Also, funny bit of trivia, contrary to what the European nomenclature may suggest, the .380 ACP cartridge isn't a shortened 9mm Luger, but rather a scaled down .45 ACP."

http://smith-wessonforum.com/ammo/60...-380-auto.html

Kinda crazy during a shortage they had some good ammo, and not just the cheap shit. Let alone the exact brand I wanted

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Kinda crazy during a shortage they had some good ammo, and not just the cheap shit. Let alone the exact brand I wanted

I wouldn't say Sellier & Bellot is "good ammo". It's decent. I've shot a lot of it, especially in shotgun shells. It used to be seen as cheap ammo but their quality control has improved. It's still towards the lower end. The reason Walther lovers probably like it is because they tend to load their cartridges a little hotter than American target rounds and the Walthers tend to have more malfunctions with the basic plinking stuff

Last edited by DoctorP; 03-15-2021 at 08:22 PM.