Default Thought for the day... When are enough federal laws enough?

Whether you're left, right, center, whatever... when does the introduction of new legislation on a federal level stop? What is the "ok, we're good now" moment?

Do you even know? Can you answer that? Can you pinpoint it? Can you even ballpark it?

My contention, and the point in case you've missed it by now, is that it's quite clear that it never stops and there is no end. It's just an endless wave of infringement upon rights in the name of alleged fairness. Hypothetically, even if we got to the "ok we're good now" point, it still won't stop because then lawmakers would no longer be needed, and we can't have that now can we?

Mind you, I am not advocating for lawlessness or anything of the sort. Additionally, I also understand that new technologies will arise and people will try to 'control' those things and balance their impact on humanity out via new legislation, but at the end of the day we still have legislation being passed on the regular for things that have been apart of human history for quite some amount of time.

And thus it begs the question, when does it end? When do new laws cease? At what point does personal responsibility become a thing?

Default Re: Thought for the day... When are enough federal laws enough?

You're a product/digits for rich and businesses to exploit. Come to grips with it. We need to wrap this ending up pronto. The **** you waiting for?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

At this point congress is more about dividing up the pie among everyone’s district or state than creating new laws. As you said most things are covered and we just modify for the times.

If you put a 10 year moratorium on new federal laws we would still have a congress to divvy up the money as best they can. They don’t need new laws to justify their existence. Someone has to fight for their states portion of pork.

Make the government build a weapon system they don’t need in your home town and add 300 high paying jobs they will send you back for another term or 6. Remember the army begging them to stop building tanks because it isn’t 1945 and tanks are expensive wastes of money to maintain and store when we don’t have those kinda wars now? What did they say?

It would kill jobs in the district of the guy running the committee they were asking to stop. His district needs those jobs even if we don’t need those tanks.

And I’m sure his district loved him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    At this point congress is more about dividing up the pie among everyone’s district or state than creating new laws. As you said most things are covered and we just modify for the times.

If you put a 10 year moratorium on new federal laws we would still have a congress to divvy up the money as best they can. They don’t need new laws to justify their existence. Someone has to fight for their states portion of pork.

Make the government build a weapon system they don’t need in your home town and add 300 high paying jobs they will send you back for another term or 6. Remember the army begging them to stop building tanks because it isn’t 1945 and tanks are expensive wastes of money to maintain and store when we don’t have those kinda wars now? What did they say?

It would kill jobs in the district of the guy running the committee they were asking to stop. His district needs those jobs even if we don’t need those tanks.

And I’m sure his district loved him for it.
    What pie?

You mean the imaginary one that's really a road to total destruction rather than a road made of pie?

My bullshit aside, your perspective is interesting. Not sure I agree, but interesting. Combing through passed laws now.

https://www.congress.gov/search?q=%7...3A%22law%22%7D

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

They are using the same principles from the experiment where they discovered you could boil a frog alive without them jumping out of the pot, if you increased the temperature slowly enough for them not to realize what is going on.

Take away all rights as once, there is a good chance for major blowback.

Take away rights slowly as you consistently whittle them down over the span of 20 to 40 years. People don’t even realize what happened.

Biased Troll

Itll be enough when Lebron says it’s enough.

DEAL WITH IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post
    What pie?

You mean the imaginary one that's really a road to total destruction rather than a road made of pie?

My bullshit aside, your perspective is interesting. Not sure I agree, but interesting. Combing through passed laws now.

https://www.congress.gov/search?q=%7...3A%22law%22%7D
    What is the debt-to-gdp ratio nowadays? Look at that rather than the absolute debt.

Doesn't the 20 trillion dollar amount refer to all of the public debts we have as a nation? I believe we owe a lot of money to ourselves, which is why the 20 trillion number is misleading.

I would also be interested in knowing what the net amount is (debts other countries owe us MINUS how much we owe them). I recall reading an article about this very subject recently. Many foreign countries/individuals also bought lots & lots of treasury bonds from us going back DECADES so a lot of that money we consider debt also includes treasury bonds. It gets pretty complicated. I don't understand all of it - I don't have a financial background to keep up