Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    College star

Default Re: Better Player: Hakeem or Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness View Post
    Duncan's 03 team is as bad as any team Hakeem ever played on. So how did Duncan take that time to a title whilst Hakeem got bounced in the first round 6 times?

Hakeem had amazing talent, but lacked consistency and killer instincts.

Dude won 2 titles with prime Clyde Drexler, Scott Pippen, Charles Barkley, Ralph Sampson and Vince Carter.

Duncan was the greatest PF ever by his 6th season, Hakeem to this day isn't a top 5 C (Kareem, Shaq, Russell, Moses, Wilt).
    Wait so Duncan gets credit for his finals run and ultimate championship in 2003, but Hakeem doesn't get the same glorification for his title run in 1994? How do you conveniently ignore that? If anything, Hakeem's run in 1994 was more impressive. Hakeem won MVP, Finals MVP, AND DPOY. How many players in NBA history have done that?

You're bringing up Charles Barkley and Scottie Pippen. Pippen joined the Rockets in 1999 at the age of 33 after his bad back where Pippen could no longer elevate or move with the same lateral quickness. You're making it out to seem like Hakeem got a peak or prime Pippen here.

They added Barkley when he was also over the hill and damn near 300 lbs. Barkley was injury prone and could barely move by 1997. Not to mention, Barkley was already 33 years old, missed 30 games that season, and in the series against Utah in the WCF scored 16 points on 43%. Hakeem went for 27/9 that series on damn near 60%

Duncan enjoyed the peak and primes of both Manu and Parker. While they're not on the level of prime/peak Barkley/Pippen, they were also better a number of years than those guys ever were with Hakeem. I honestly don't see how you could bring those guys up knowing Hakeem got them at the age of 33+, injured, and overweight.

Hakeem is greater than all of those centers you mentioned. The only one who gives him a run for his money is Kareem.

You mentioned Moses Malone. Moses has 1 NBA title which he got due to forming a super-team in Philadelphia. The Sixers were already a 58 win team that made it to the NBA finals without Moses just the year prior. They added Moses and it's somehow a shocker that they won the title?

That '83 team is one of the greatest teams of all time. Not only did they have Moses, but they had former MVP Dr. J, Andrew Toney, Maurice Cheeks, and defensive juggernaut Bobby Jones. Put a cast like that around Hakeem and what does he do? C'mon man.

And excuse me if I'm not so thrilled about Bill Russell. He did what he did in a much smaller league, but joined a playoff team with the league's MVP. So what happens if you pair Hakeem with the likes of Magic Johnson or Oscar Robertson? The Celtics were a stacked roster with guys like Havlicek, Jones, Sharman, and Cousy.

I'm beginning to feel like Hakeem is SEVERELY underrated here.

Facts Are Misleading

Hes unanimously regarded as a top 8-10 player with a couple spot variation on almost everyone lists.

He's not in the GOAT convo and he's not outside the top 10ish. Whats underrated about that? Should he be in the goat convo?

^ HoopsNY great post!!

I have vouched for Moses many times and find him underrated but he's nowhere near Hakeem as an overall player. Moses was a destroyer on the offensive boards which brings major value to just about any team but outside of that he couldn't touch Hakeem's game... not his post game, not his face up game, not his shooting, not his passing and not his defense in any way shape or form.

Honestly for people who care about portability Hakeem really is getting underrated. I think he's one player you can transport to any era in league history and he would absolutely dominate. And given his terrible team circumstances that no other pantheon player had to endure, I'm honestly not sure he's not one of the top 5 players ever to play basketball. I'm not saying he is but I'm not sure he isn't. He's one of the few players in league history that was a legitimate MVP caliber on both sides of the floor...

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Hes unanimously regarded as a top 8-10 player with a couple spot variation on almost everyone lists.

He's not in the GOAT convo and he's not outside the top 10ish. Whats underrated about that? Should he be in the goat convo?
    My comments were for Nowitness really. I think Hakeem deserves more recognition and should be higher, honestly. If not for anything, then he should be ranked higher than Duncan.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    ^ HoopsNY great post!!

I have vouched for Moses many times and find him underrated but he's nowhere near Hakeem as an overall player. Moses was a destroyer on the offensive boards which brings major value to just about any team but outside of that he couldn't touch Hakeem's game... not his post game, not his face up game, not his shooting, not his passing and not his defense in any way shape or form.

Honestly for people who care about portability Hakeem really is getting underrated. I think he's one player you can transport to any era in league history and he would absolutely dominate. And given his terrible team circumstances that no other pantheon player had to endure, I'm honestly not sure he's not one of the top 5 players ever to play basketball. I'm not saying he is but I'm not sure he isn't. He's one of the few players in league history that was a legitimate MVP caliber on both sides of the floor...
    Spot on