Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 145461626364
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020-21 Regular season- The tax team

https://www.ksl.com/article/50145372...ovid-19-season

"It's really about our entire group," Jazz coach Quin Snyder said when asked about the play of Forrest and Thomas. "As far as any one or two players, regardless of who they are, everybody just needed to be better and we weren't tonight."

yep and you blew it playing them

https://kslsports.com/457503/jazz-te...-over-thunder/

ďWhen you get to play with great players, itíll help you,Ē Brantley said.

Yep and the only thing he is iffy on is a consistent shot and he knocked down an open 3 with confidence. Played great D. Great to see him get a chance and Snyder sticking with him. Doubt we see him again for the Jazz unfortunately

The two-way forward has been used sparingly for the Jazz this season but could have significant value for the team going forward. At this point, he struggles against most NBA opponents working to stay in front of his man on defense.

He's never played except in the bubble where he shut down Derozan

While Brantley may be trying to earn a few frontcourt minutes, Bojan Bogdanovic is probably putting Jazz fans at ease with his.

I'll be at ease when he's on another team

As a below-average defensive player, the Jazz need Bogdanovic to produce at a high level offensively to justify his minutes in the rotation. However, even when he hasnít played well, the Jazz lack the ideal depth in the frontcourt to replace him on bad nights.

We just saw some depth and that was without Morgan seeing the floor. Rather see Brantley, Ersan or Morgan anyday

https://www.ksl.com/article/50146086...n-over-thunder

On Tuesday, the seldom-used forward lived the dream that he has been so close to obtaining on a regular basis. He scored 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting and grabbed four rebounds in 22 minutes in Utah's 106-96 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder.

you'd think he'd be close after the year he had with the Stars but obviously not

https://www.ksl.com/article/50146033...ttle-different

SALT LAKE CITY ó Due to lengthy injury reports, there likely wasn't gonna be a lot to take away from Tuesday's game at Vivint Arena.

Lots to take away. They have other options than the 10 COTY thinks they have. Which I knew already

The Jazz's answer to Dort's hot shooting: Georges Niang. That's a bit different. Niang vs. Dort ó just what everyone came to see.

We saw Niang can do more if Bojan, Clarkson, Mitchell, Favors are sucking yet again

Jarrell Brantley was the best of that bunch, scoring 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting, while adding four rebounds. Matt Thomas struggled in an extended role, going 2-for-10 from the field for 5 points. Ersan Ilysasova, in his first meaningful action as a Jazzman, was 0-for-3.

Thomas can shoot though. It was good to see him coming off screens like Korver and putting it up. O'Neale and Ingles could learn something. Also saw the potential of pick and pop with Ersan. He still didn't look completely comfortable out there yet. He shouldn't be playing over Morgan or Brantley

"Royce in particular, I think he's got the most minutes of anybody in the league guarding the opponent's best player," Snyder said. "And not just with Royce, but with your entire team, I think in order to get better you have to be as fresh as you can be. As a coach and as a team, you're evaluating certain things, and you get a better picture of where you are when you're able to play on a certain level."

guarding the best player while trying to be the PF at the same time

https://www.deseret.com/2021/4/13/22...rrell-brantley

Jarrell Brantley played 22 minutes. Thatís the most heís played outside of one of the seeding games in the bubble, the one against the San Antonio Spurs that the Jazz rested their starters in the second half. Brantley got an opportunity on Tuesday and put together a really solid night, finishing with 10 points, four rebounds and an assist. More importantly though, he was one of the only players that effectively guarded Luguentz Dort and that isnít something that should be taken lightly. Weíve seen Brantley so sparingly this season and in his short and small garbage minutes he hasnít been that great, but when he was allowed to get into the flow of the game he really stood out.
    But he can't defend! It's different when the minutes mean something and you're playing with rotation players instead of rookies. They would have beat Denver if him, Tucker and Oni had spent some time guarding Murray instead of Clarkson

Now, it might be hard to look at the box score and see that Dort had 42 and think that anybody effectively defended him, but he had 18 of those points in the first quarter alone and thatís why Brantley got more playing time over Miye Oni through the rest of the game.
    Never understood why Oni or Morgan were playing over him to begin with. Could argue Niang too though his D has been much improved this year

By the way, Dort is exceptional. Like I said, he finished with 42 points and is just as good on the defensive end. Heís the kind of player that you could hope that Brantley would turn into.
    Brantley probably has more talent. Just hasn't gotten a chance. Wish he'd went to Duke

Donovan Mitchell seemed calm and collected on Tuesday in a way that we havenít really seen in while and that worked really well for him. He had 22 points, was efficient and smart. There was also a really small moment that I liked. Midway through the second quarter Brantley got a rebound and was bringing the ball up and had just stepped over the halfcourt line when he passed over to Mitchell, and Mitchell very casually skipped into frontcourt to catch the ball, avoiding the backcourt violation. I know that itís small, but it didnít even seem to register on Mitchellís face and it seemed like a really veteran move, recognizing that a player who doesnít get a lot of time made a tiny mistake, but he was able to correct it without a hitch.
    Nice to see him pass the ball for a change

The importance of Mike Conley cannot be overstated. I have said this before and I donít care that it might sound like a broken record at this point, but there is just a smoother and more poised feeling that the Jazz have when he is in the game or even available to play.
    especially if he has the ball instead of Mitchell

Yes it was good for Thomas to get some run, but he went 1 of 8 from 3-point range, didnít look great on the defensive end and was largely responsible for two shotclock violations. Itís not like Iím going to fault him too much for that ó he hasnít been with the team long and is probably pretty rusty and not getting a lot of time on the floor and thereís certainly nerves that play into some of that. Still, not the best showing.
    yep that's more on COTY. Where was Morgan?

The Jazz did not do a great job of keeping the Thunder off the offensive glass. Some of that is just the nature of what happens when OKC was missing a ton of shots, and the Jazz did defend them well after the offensive boards, but itís something to watch out for.
    which having size with Brantley, Morgan and Ersan would help

At one point Rudy Gobert helped Bogdanovic up off the floor and yanked on his surgically repaired wrist a little too hard. It clearly hurt Bogdanovic, who was wincing and rubbing his wrist afterward, but he was able to shake it off and continue playing. The guys have to be careful with that, we donít need one of the Jazz being the reason that Bogdanovicís wrist starts to act up.
    He shouldn't be on the floor if his wrist can't take that. Shouldn't be anyway

Why do so many small players, especially the inexperienced ones, drive into the paint, straight at Rudy Gobert? The guy has a 7-foot-9 wingspan and is a known rim protector. He had seven blocks on the night and made the Thunder look really silly.
    they all think they will be the one in 100 that gets a poster

Since leaving the Jazz Tony Bradley has been traded around the league and has ended up on a lottery-bound OKC team where heís actually been playing quite a bit, which is great. What isnít great is that he only played 10 minutes against the Jazz and once the Thunder have a better front court heíll be headed somewhere else, probably playing sparingly on a bad team.
    What isn't great is that the Jazz are paying Favors 30 million instead of having a starting PF and a cheap, young improving center. Bradley is a FA. He's gone as most of OKC's players will be with all the 1st round picks they have

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/4/13/22...pleted-thunder

Jarrell Brantley made the most of his minutes in this game and scored a career-high 10 points on 4-5 shooting, including 2-3 from deep. It was fun to see Brantley get some minutes, and honestly it looked very promising seeing him be able to knock down shots from range.

what was more promising was COTY leaving him in the game. I was shocked!

Super encouraged by Niangís play lately. His last 13 games he is 32/63 from 3, 50.7%. We should be playing him 20 to 24 minutes a game instead of the 12 to 15 he was getting with our full lineup before. Would like to see Brantley get a regular 10 to 15 minutes even with our full lineup. That combined 20-25 minutes extra minutes could easily come from our other 6 rotational non-centers, only 3 to 4 extra minutes each.
    That would allow the regulars to stay fresher as we head towards the playoffs, and give us a good look at Niang and Brantley in a bigger role. The only negative thing maybe that if Niang continues to look good we might price ourselves out of being able to resign him. Although watch someone throw Bertans like money at him.

Posted by SKMike on Apr 14, 2021 | 12:43 AM
    More Niang and Brantley and less Bojan, Clarkson, Favors amd Mitchell? I'm in! Niang is already gone unless the Jazz move some of the guys they need to move: Clarkson, Favors and Bojan

Yikes I just went & looked at Jazz contracts, Niang & Brantley are the two guys the Jazz are most likely to lose.
    Posted by PlayfasterJazz on Apr 14, 2021 | 3:35 AM
    they're gone. Why would Brantley stay? Was sad when they gave Hughes the guaranteed contract and the Gleaguer was forced to accept another 2 way after being all Gleague. Jazz really blew that one

I donít think Niang and Brantley are going to demand that kind of money. Iíd be really surprised if either gets the $8m you mentioned above. Maybe Niang will get that much, but Brantley will be happy to get a minimum contract.

Posted by Kira Argonova on Apr 14, 2021 | 8:40 AM
    but it's twice as much with tax. If I'm Brantley I wouldn't be happy with the way things went this past off season and unless no one in the whole world offers him something I'd be gone!

We could really use a third big.

Posted by Kira Argonova on Apr 14, 2021 | 8:28 AM
    Could use a starting PF. Morgan and Brantley could play. But COTY and the Wizard!

I think the Jazz will try to sign both Brantley and Oni

Why wouldnít they? Both are long physical athletic defenders with tons of upside. All they need is more PT.

Posted by rubar4 on Apr 14, 2021 | 8:40 AM
    Why? Same reason they let Tucker go? Or drafted Hughes when they already had someone better in Foreman? Roster space is limited. They will draft a pg I imagine. They'll probably run the same guys back minus Niang, Forrest and Ersan

The biggest reason why is because Capela has played at an All-Defense level, and he should be in the conversation for Defensive Player of the Year, alongside guys like Rudy Gobert, Ben Simmons, Bam Adebayo and Myles Turner. The Hawks are 6.7 points worse defensively when Capela sits this season. ďI think heís been probably one of the most consistent guys on the defensive end of the floor for us,Ē Nate McMillan said. ďHe has been helping us all season long. Heís not only been helping in blocking shots and rotating to the basketball, but rebounding at an elite level. What heís been doing now, heís been doing it all season for us. What we are trying to do is not have to have him clean up on the perimeter where weíre guarding and not keeping the ball in front so that he can stay attached to his man and rebound the basketball. With the adjustment for a center in todayís game, youíre not defending low-post or post-up players a lot in this league. Youíre out on the perimeter having to help defend these quick guards in pick and rolls and make adjustments to get back to a shooter that can spread the floor. The consistency has been there all season long.Ē
    Ė via Chris Kirschner @ The Athletic

When opponents do drive on him and try attacking at the rim, theyíre only shooting 50.2 percent against Capela. Thatís sixth-tenths of a percentage point worse than Gobert, whoís seen as one of the favorites in the DPOY race. I, myself, questioned before the start of the season if Capela was going to be as good as the Hawks talked him up to be and what they, frankly, needed him to be because of the center depth. He was never this good for the Rockets, but heís been a godsend for this organization after having arguably the worst center depth rotation last season. Capela is not only third in the NBA in blocks, first in rebounds, but heís also second in DRAPM, second in DRPM and second in defensive RAPTOR, all advanced metrics that Gobert ranks first in. This story isnít about why Capela should win the award, only how he needs to be in the conversation. As someone who voted for the leagueís awards last season, Capela would be on my ballot with Gobert and Simmons; and he would be on my second-team All-Defense.
    Ė via Chris Kirschner @ The Athletic

StatMuse: Lu Dort vs the Jazz: 42 PTS (career-high) 7 3PT (career-high) 7 REB 4 STL Only one player has scored more points before turning 22 in OKC franchise history ó Kevin Durant. pic.twitter.com/GuNq1w77sP
    Ė via Twitter statmuse