Page 19 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021222969 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020-21 Regular season- The tax team

Looks like Graves is another non shooting pg. Must play D?

4 guys back from last year. Now to see who else the Jazz send

https://www.ksl.com/article/50094790...on-of-mitchell

Part of Barkley's criticism of Mitchell centered on his lack of gaudy individual statistics. If the Jazz played a style that focused on Mitchell, Ingles believes he would average in the range of 35 points along with eight rebounds and eight assists a game.

Would he shoot 35% and how many turnovers to get that many assists? They're focused on him more than they should be. He's inefficient

https://hoopshabit.com/2021/01/26/ut...mitchell-shaq/

Donovan Mitchell’s Utah Jazz just win
    thank you for that Rudy!

His best attribute is undeniable: scoring, which has ballooned in effectiveness every year (after starting at 20.5 ppg mind you), while remaining efficient and highly-dynamic – he has a career effective field goal percentage of 50.0 percent on effective field goal attempts.

remaining?

Bobby Marks: There are 12 players that have an All-Star bonus in their contract (either as a starter or reserve). Notable names that have over $1M include Jaylen Brown, Domas Sabonis, Rudy Gobert and Julius Randle.
    – via Twitter BobbyMarks42

Rudy's lost a couple of mill the two times he was robbed

https://kslsports.com/452012/jazz-vs...ks-game-night/

“Donovan is the catalyst for lots of things that we do,” Snyder said. It impacts our depth as well. But I don’t think there’s any magic involved, everybody’s got to be aggressive still. We need to play the same way, we just don’t have a really, really good player out there.”

as great as he supposedly is I'm not sure I'd miss anyone less besides Bojan

Derrick Favors will also miss the game as he deals with lower back soreness.

Morgan and maybe even Udoka

https://kslsports.com/451995/salt-la...ason-schedule/

All of the Stars’ other games will be available to stream on ESPN+.

lame!!!

https://kslsports.com/451960/jazz-wi...nst-mavericks/

The streak has been fueled by the Jazz hot three-point shooting and elite defensive performances that give the team a level of dominance rarely seen in the NBA.

Tuesday’s key matchup will pair Jazz forward Royce O’Neale and Mavericks superstar Luka Doncic. With Mitchell out of the lineup, the Jazz could opt to start any of Jordan Clarkson, Joe Ingles, or Miye Oni in his absence, though O’Neale will likely be tasked with defending Doncic.

He could but you know it's Ingles

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat...ing-3-pointers

Bojan needs to join the Jazz party
    needs to be benched/traded

The performance by the Croatian Bogdanovic is yet another lesson in how much can change between seasons and you can assume good things will transfer from season to season. Last year, Bogey lived up to his signing in nearly ever way by averaging 20.2 points, giving Utah its first season with multiple 20+ point scorers since 1991-92 (Jeff and Karl Malone).

what a franchise. Jeff sucked!

Advanced metrics take Bogdanovic’s lack of production and place him among the worst players in the league right now. NBA Math’s Total Points Added metric credits Bojan with a -42.23 mark, the 12th-worst number among all players this season. His VORP is -0.3, tied for 11th-worst and his Box Plus/Minus is at a -4.1, tied for 34th-worst among qualified players.

I could have told you that without the metrics

https://kslsports.com/452026/shortha...ush-mavericks/

Outside of his game against the Knicks, Mitchell has been one of the best players in the NBA during the Jazz win streak.

that wasn't the only bad game

The All-Star guard was averaging 27.3 points, five assists, and 4.3 rebounds during the first eight games of the Jazz win streak, and there was a real question about how the Jazz would handle playing without him.

there wasn't in my mind. If it was Gobert, Conley or O'Neale sure

With Favors out, Snyder chose to play second-year big man Juwan Morgan as the Jazz back up center, rather than rookie Udoka Azubuike.

already had earlier in the year. Certainly not surprising. Morgan was solid last year when he played. Udoka isn't ready

It’s not an enormous surprise based on Snyder’s history as the Jazz coach has generally preferred to play experience over youth and has little regard for draft position in his rotational decisions.

before last year really not true especially if they went to Duke

Morgan proved his value for the Jazz last year in the Disney bubble playing valuable minutes in the team’s first-round series loss to the Denver Nuggets when then-reserve Tony Bradley proved too immobile to provide postseason minutes.

proved it before that

If Morgan is the better player at the moment, which Snyder’s rotation would indicate it further begs the question why the Jazz used a valuable first-round draft pick on a player like Azubuike who is going to struggle to crack the lineup ahead of an undefeated second-year big man, much less Gobert and Favors?

They needed a center. Got one with Gobert type potential. Hughes is the pick I'd be questioning

The Jazz first-round pick is now -57 in 11 appearances for the Jazz, including the 1:34 seconds he played to close out the win over the Mavericks. He’s yet to have a positive-plus night in any of his appearances.

+/- in garbage time. Seriously?

The Jazz haven’t needed the contributions of any rookie so far this season, but with strong starts to the careers of Immanuel Quickley, Payton Pritchard, Desmond Bane, and Xavier Tillman, all of whom were drafted after the Jazz initial option to make the 23rd pick in the draft, the Azubuike selection continues to be a curious move.

No rookie has stepped right in and deserved to play for the Jazz. Morgan, Oni and Shaq can't get time over Niang. You think a non Duke pick would have?

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/...ordan-clarkson

Jordan Clarkson can do everything. Period. I don’t ever want to hear him described purely as a guy who can get a bucket. He’s completely changed and evolved and improved his game and is a lot more committed on the defensive end than he gets credit for. Whether it’s spin moves, getting low against crafty guards, hitting contested shots, knocking down open 3-pointers or blocking shots, Clarkson is nearly always making good plays.
    He's not Bojan but let's not get carried away

The defensive rotations, whether the Jazz were playing man, switching or playing in a zone, were wildly impressive. The Jazz seemed so locked in on that side of the floor and allowed the game to come to them.
    The D wasn't really that good after the 1st

There was a play where Miye Oni got switched onto Kristaps Porzingis and recognizing that there was no way to win the height or length battle against the Mavericks big man, Oni instead used every bit of his strength to hold Porzingis back from getting into the paint and close enough to get a rebound or a putback opportunity. The Jazz contested a shot, got the rebound and scored on the other end. That kind of defensive awareness and recognition is why Oni is getting the chance to prove himself this season.
    I thought it was because they didn't have anyone better?

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/1/27/22...llas-mavericks

Mike Conley continues to make a case for the all-star team. His pristine control of the offense while he’s on the floor is Stockton-esque and takes the Jazz offense to levels it hasn’t seen for a long time. His chemistry with Rudy shows in their much talked about league-leading plus minus. Utah is just toying with teams right now and so much of it centers around those Rudy Gobert/Mike Conley pick and rolls that are devastating everyone in the way.

I'd dare say only Stockton has ever been better for the Jazz at the 1

Makes you wonder if the Jazz free up a roster spot and try to fill it with one of Detroit’s stack of big men. In fact they may have a spot open already.
    I like how Snyder was running plays for Bogey. His shot still isn’t there but he isn’t turning the ball over any more like the start. I think he will come around. In fact I would love to see Snyder play Bogey in garbage time and tell him shoot every time you touch the ball. Just shoot!
    It is going to take a really good game from Dallas to beat Utah. Without Doncic shooting from 3 and Smith not shooting well the Jazz just backed way off on those pick and rolls making it really hard on Dallas. They are really missing Curry as a third shooter. The jazz played Doncic like teams played Rubio.
    That’s right Doncic = Rubio <\b>

Posted by brianH85 on Jan 27, 2021 | 10:14 PM
    They have an open roster space now. They obviously don't think they need size

I’d only be worried about big front courts against LAL and MIL. That being said, the reason we brought back Favors was specifically for those two teams. Our FO saw we couldn’t compete with LAL last year because playing a small 4 against them is asking for a bad mismatch.

Posted by jazznerd on Jan 28, 2021 | 1:19 AM
    Lakers are certainly the team they have to prove themselves against. So much for spacing with Favors at the 4. Would be nice to go big on a small team and create a mismatch. What a concept!

Lakers aren't as big this year. Have Gasol now but he has been mediocre at best

And only playing 20 to 24 minures a game. No McGee or Howard to go big with.
    The team seems pretty committed to having 4 3-point shooters on the floor at all times to play the same style and system of hunting 3s. And taking chances on D. Zion only guy who has hurt us so far but we took advantage of his D on the other end.
    Will be interesting to see how strategies might change for either team in a potential series

Posted by SKMike on Jan 28, 2021 | 3:06 AM
    Gasol and Harrell or Davis is big when Royce has to cover one of them and than Royce can't guard Lebron or Shroeder etc

why you consider Donovan Mitchell A.K.A Spida Mitchell A.K.A "Aight" Mitchell a chucker?
    Legitimately curious about why opposing fans think that? Thsnks, Appreciate!

Posted by aitken4bacon on Jan 28, 2021 | 6:20 AM
    you've never seen him play?

His shooting has always been really good for a PF.
    I’ve always liked the idea of having him on the roster because Rudy can cover most of his weakness on D: he’s very unathletic, but so is Ingles and Ingles has been a great defender for us over the years. The guys who kill us on D even with Rudy on the floor are those who have no court vision and get burnt on rotations/cuts. Slow guys who can at least kinda stay in the picture are good enough for us to get by defensively. Again, this is only with Rudy on the floor. If we had another center I’m sure I’d want Niang gone 2 years ago.
    I’m not saying Niang is some amazing player or anything, but he’s a great 8th/9th piece for this roster who fills a niche here very well.

Posted by jazznerd on Jan 28, 2021 | 1:30 AM
    his shooting is good for anyone.

For an 8th/9th man making $1.7m, what exactly was expected of him?
    I think it came from him having to play significant minutes last season due to the thin bench, especially during the playoffs, but that’s not his fault.

Posted by Kira Argonova on Jan 28, 2021 | 6:08 AM
    exactly. It's all about expectations or unrealistic ones. Niang is showing he's capable of a lot more than he's been allowed to show

At the moment, feels more reliable than Bogie

Posted by Bredon31 on Jan 28, 2021 | 6:10 AM
    who isn't?

Do the jazz even need any mid season trades? I don’t think so

Posted by ThomasSmithjaz1 on Jan 27, 2021 | 11:30 PM
    Bojan should be traded if possible. Got an open roster spot. Barely over the tax line. Getting under while improving and creating flexibility for buyouts and signing Conley next year would be great

He effectively gives us a big 3 and should be a chance at All Star this year if we can maintain this level. Clarkson obviously is also a massive difference between this time last season and now. How often would we give up leads once we went to the bench with no consistent scoring from the bench? This has to be considered the best trade in Jazz history if he can keep this going. As an Aussie I loved Dante but Clarkson for Exum was ridiculous and has made us a much much better team.
    Let’s keep it going Jazz, no one wants to play us at the moment and I am loving it.

Posted by AussieBBallFan on Jan 28, 2021 | 2:04 AM
    they have a big two and 1 of them isn't their "best player". Horny for Malone. Dantley for Haywood...

Scoring is the most easily replaceable part of basketball.

Posted by Kira Argonova on Jan 28, 2021 | 6:15 AM
    to most the only thing that matters oh and +/- of course!

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2021/...6ers-embiid/3/

This lineup is putting together some absurd offensive numbers up as of late thanks to their 3-point shooting proficiency. The starting lineup is hitting eight more 3’s per 100 possessions then their opponents while shooting 15 percentage points better. The offense has Mitchell and Conley switching off being the primary ballhandlers, and then the Jazz use dribble handoffs and Rudy Gobert’s screening to initiate the offense.

more to do with D

The defense is back to elite levels, all thanks to two-time DPOY Rudy Gobert. The Frenchman patrols paint at an elite level as always, only now with more help. Royce O’Neale has done an impressive job with the primary defensive assignment each night, and both Mitchell and Conley are really engaged with their rotations and competing for the ball. Even Bogdanovic, historically a negative defender, has put out together some great efforts on the end of the floor.

others have improved the D. Conley especially. Bojan and Mitchell?

What about the Donovan (situation)? For me, he has been amazing media-wise since he got into the league… …Chuck interjects — Charles Barkley: But yeah, you know Sam, let me tell you something. Me and Kenny actually had a conversation this weekend about this, because (Kenny) was talking to his dad. And his dad says, ‘I was watching the show the other night and I went and did some research (and) Donovan has only had one game of double-digit assists his entire career. He’s had only one game of double-digit rebounds in his career. Kenny Smith had 90. He had 90. And Kenny Smith ain’t half the player Donovan Mitchell is. He had 90 games where he had either 10 assists or 10 rebounds. And that was the point.
    – via Sam Amick @ The Athletic

Kenny Smith was a pg. Mitchell isn't. He needs to become a better playmaker but he's not bad for a shooting guard and is getting better. The whole triple double thing is one of the most overrated things there is anyway

Charles Barkley: We said the kid was a hell of a player. But as far as being a superstar, nobody’s a superstar until they can win the game multiple ways. And listen, that to me is an indictment on Donovan Mitchell. Come on, man. As much as you have the ball, you only had one game with double-digit assists? And one game double-digit rebounds? Come on. I mean Sam, that’s almost impossible.
    – via Sam Amick @ The Athletic

He's not a superstar. He shouldn't even be an all star. It's the NBA and the media that pushes that crap while Gobert isn't even an all star despite carrying the team for more than half a decade