Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 71415161718192027 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020-21 Regular season- The tax team

Bjelica hits Ft's and 3's, rebounds, gets assists

also gets the Jazz under the tax line. No brainer!

Connor Letourneau: The Warriors didn’t get into Salt Lake City until 2 a.m. last night because of multiple delays. That’s why Golden State canceled shootaround this morning.
    – via Twitter Con_Chron

[IMG]https://*********.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/92/2021/01/i_82_66_b9_trent-forrest.png?w=190[/IMG]Sarah Todd: Jazz two-way player Trent Forrest is out due to league health and safety protocols. Elijah Hughes remains out with a left ankle sprain.
    – via Twitter NBASarah

https://kslsports.com/451708/jazz-ob...istoric-night/

It’s always dangerous to make sweeping statements like this, but the Jazz are the best team in basketball right now. Truthfully it might not be close.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves

“What stands out on tape is number one they’ve been good for a long time so the continuity is apparent right away, they all know each other so well, they execute their stuff beautifully,” Warriors coach Steve Kerr said of the Jazz. “What’s different this year is they seem to be hunting threes more quickly and more often. And that’s given them an even tougher dynamic.”

the difference is the D

Russell has always justified his reasons for the Wolves’ struggles to newness. They have the youngest roster in the NBA and have been missing Towns for most of the season. Rubio said he is fine with playing off the ball if it adds winning to the mix. “Whatever the team needs, and if it’s playing off the ball, it’s going to take some time, because I have to learn and I have to know my teammates better and know my game and how to play off the ball,” Rubio said. “It’s a challenge, and it takes you to uncomfortable zones, but it’s a learning process. You don’t learn something from one day to another. It’s step by step.”
    – via Jon Krawczynski @ The Athletic

you forgot how to spot up in the corner already?

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/...raight-win-nba

In his first eight-minute stint on the floor on Saturday night, Bojan Bogdanovic dished out four assists. I hadn’t even realized it had happened until I looked at the box score. For a guy who has regularly had games with zero assists, it was a pleasant surprise. By the time he subbed out for the night, he’d been on a legitimate triple-double watch, finishing with 14 points, a career-high eight assists and seven rebounds.
    Was great to see. He shot horribly but I can live with that if he's dong other things which he usually doesn't. Still need to trade him

Bogdanovic has been more hesitant to shoot this season than we’ve seen from him before. He’s also been doing this thing recently that is a little strange. Rather than taking a wide open shot, he waits for a defender to get close, almost like he’s expecting a fly-by, before taking a dribble to the left and taking a semi-contested shot. Maybe he’s mistaking the defender and thinks a fly-by is coming, or maybe he’s just making things harder on himself.

He was doing it before. He's good at that shot

Wiseman is a really talented rookie who has a ton of gifts and is very likely going to be good player for a long time. But he did not look great against Gobert. Part of that is a credit to Gobert, his experience and his prowess on both ends. The other part is that Wiseman is just underdeveloped at this point. It’s probably good that he’s on this Golden State team, which doesn’t have many expectations to meet this season considering their lack of depth and the season-ending injury that Klay Thompson suffered before the season even began. Wiseman will be able to get a ton of good experience, but there are just going to be nights when he doesn’t look good.
    he certainly didn't impress

But I still worry about the PF position. We’ve been watching a big debate about whether or not Royce’s shooting is inconsistent. But I think we can all agree on this: when he does score 10 the team is almost unbeatable.
    Favors could step in and play PF minutes if defense is needed against a big 4. What we don’t have is an offensive minded stretch 4. I would love to see the Jazz acquire Christian Wood from the Rockets, but I can’t figure out a trade package that would work without gutting the current roster.
    According to Hoops Rumors the Kings are looking to move Bjelica. Last year he averaged 11.5 ppg and 6.4 rpg. This year his stats per minute are stronger, but he hasn’t been playing as much and has not gotten off the bench recently as the Kings have focused on their youth.
    What would you give the Kings for 6’10" Bjelica? He is in the final year of his contract paying him $7.2M.
    I think bolstering this position could be the final move to put the team over the top and give them a real shot at a title.

Posted by I'mJazzed on Jan 24, 2021 | 10:21 AM
    the problem is not that they can go big if the other team goes big its that they can't go big just because they want to create a mismatch not to match up. Get a 3rd team to take Bojan and get Bjelica

And before someone comments that Bogie is our solution at PF

I still view him very much as a 3. I think that SF is his real position regardless of how the Jazz list their starters.

Posted by I'mJazzed on Jan 24, 2021 | 10:27 AM
    more of a 2 as small as he plays

As a 4, he is adequate except when we have to play a team with an AD or a KD. But that means he can hold his own against 25+ teams in the league. Not a bad deal for the Jazz. If the Jazz were able to get an upgrade there without upsetting the equilibrium the team currently has, I’d be okay with that. But I’m also okay going to war in the playoffs with the team as it is currently constituted.

Posted by jmnunes5 on Jan 24, 2021 | 11:02 AM
    He's not a 4. The problem with that line of thinking is its those 5 teams you have to be able to beat and again why not the option to create the mismatch by going big and not just worry about matching up with 5 teams?

It’s pretty easy to stir up a fan base that is born with a huge chip on its should and nurses that chip with much diligence and passion.
    Guess what, it really doesn’t make much more than a blip on the national radar. I can see the headlines now: "Guess what! Jazz Fans Feel Slighted … Again!" Not really much of a news story in the final analysis.

Posted by jmnunes5 on Jan 24, 2021 | 11:06 AM
    yep!

We got a pretty good 9 man lineup going and Oni gives us capable depth for any of our wing positions. Watching Favors take some hard hits the last few games I think if we lost him for a few games it might be a huge loss.

Not sure Dok has shown enough in garbage time to show he could handle 12 to 14 minutes in the role Favors has been playing. Maybe playing mostly with the starters he would be okay. Not asked to do too much. Also have Morgan who played some C last year but mostly in real small ball lineups and he seems to be be more equipped to handle 3/4 minutes with his 3 point shooting.
    Hopefully we won’t find out but it is unlikely we won’t have a need for a 3rd string C at some point this year.

Posted by SKMike on Jan 24, 2021 | 11:31 AM
    not ready to call Oni capable. Need to see Shaq and Morgan get some run but I'm sure they all will at some point. They've been very fortunate as far as the Trump virus and injuries go so far

Shaq seems to be struggling to run an offense during "garbage" time. I think even he would play better if Trent Forrest were there to run an offense. I’ve noticed that Jordan is more effective when paired with Mitchell or Conley. Having a guy on the floor to organize effort seems critical. Cheers.

Posted by templeguardtm on Jan 24, 2021 | 12:16 PM
    I think Shaq's looked good with the ball in his hands. Forrest is a two way guy that can't shoot

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/1/23/22...108-game-recap

Another surprise and thing I keep forgetting. Niang has a nice handle on the ball. He had a couple nice drives and behind the back dribbles. If he can learn to hit the 8 foot fadeaway jumper consistently that would really add something to his game.
    I am so waiting for the Jazz to play some of the upcoming games. Dallas twice, then some of the top teams in the East. We will have a good idea how legit the Jazz are in a couple weeks but right now it feels like they could beat anyone in the league. Enough offense to win against good offenses and enough D to win when their shots are not falling. Enough depth to make teams pay for not playing good defense all the way down their lineup.

Posted by brianH85 on Jan 23, 2021 | 10:41 PM
    Niang was all Gleague for a reason just like Brantley. They are highly skilled. Niang hasn't had much of a chance to show it with the Jazz. Seeing it a bit more this year. He's got the 8 foot fadeaway already. They wil still have problems against teams with size

The key to the Jazz winning the title instead of making another first round exist is that O’Neale needs to be a more consistent shooter. Apparently, that is the key to Jazz success more than anything Conley, Mitchell, Gobert, or the rest of the gang does. If Royce shoots consistently, Shang-ri-la. If not, the Jazz are doomed to more disappointment.

Posted by jmnunes5 on Jan 23, 2021 | 10:49 PM
    they need someone at the 4 so he doesn't have to try to do that and be the perimeter stopper at the same time

Because every NBA team’s title hopes are tied to their 8th man’s shooting stats.
    (By the way, just as an aside, does anybody know how to put one of those little smiley face icons into the chat? I’m having a good time with all the trash talk but too many people are getting their panties in a knot because they are taking this way too seriously.)

Posted by jmnunes5 on Jan 24, 2021 | 9:35 AM
    Royce is about as valuable as anyone. 8th man!

As much as I am impressed with how well they are shooting, their defense has been beyond solid. This team could compete for a title.

Posted by JMBDog on Jan 23, 2021 | 10:59 PM
    it's all about D

We have one good game against them & I’m officially in championship or bust territory.
    I’m irrational like that.

Posted by uncle-ingles on Jan 23, 2021 | 11:06 PM
    pretty much. Lakers size will give the trouble

Is defiantly one of the keys to our success. He’s becoming more than just a shooter, he’s creating.

Posted by rubar4 on Jan 24, 2021 | 8:09 AM
    sadly he probably is because he's probably going to play big miutes regardless

I always said that we couldn't compete for a championship as long as we had $30m+ tied up with a player who was playing so terribly. That is too much of a disadvantage for any team to overcome.

Our only chance to compete was for Conley to play like a superstar, and that is exactly what is happening.
    If you look at the rest of the team, there aren’t any huge differences between this season and last other than Conley is playing like he’s being paid to play.
    Gobert is about the same, but somehow worse on foul shots. Mitchell has been great the last half dozen games, but a disaster for half a dozen before that. Bogie also had a terrible start.
    Clarkson is better than last season (he wasn’t even on the team to start last season), and Favors was a nice upgrade, but those two bench players aren’t what’s driving the huge improvement. The Jazz are contenders because Mike Conley is finally doing what he is paid to do, and if they are still contenders come playoff time, it will be because Conley is still playing like a star.

Posted by Kira Argonova on Jan 24, 2021 | 11:05 AM
    Mitchell is on a rookie contract and Niang is cheap as well so how much Conley makes isn't make or brea. Bojan's 20 moreso since he brings a lot less to the table or Favors 10 mill. The D is the main reason they are better and Conley's D is a big part of that for sure.

What a ridiculous show that is. The whole thing turns me off the NBA to be honest. If I didn’t love the Jazz I think I would just not bother watching and choose a different sport to follow.

Posted by AussieBBallFan on Jan 24, 2021 | 8:19 AM
    just stick with Jazz broadcasts and you'll get all the homerism you'll ever care for!

The Kings picked up the final year of Bjelica’s contract during the offseason, which pays him $7.2 million this season. He is an unrestricted free agent this summer and at 32 years old (33 in May), it’s unlikely that he’s part of the plan going forward, especially with Bagley developing and playing major minutes at the power forward position. With Sacramento currently sitting at 6-10 on the season, there is a very good possibility that the team will be active between now and the trade deadline. Players like Bjelica, Robinson III, Joseph, Whiteside and Jabari Parker all are in the final year of their contracts.
    – via James Ham @ Yahoo! Sports
    Jazz were interested in Robinson III. He's not eligible in trade machine. Maybe send Bojan to another team and get Robinson and Bjelica.
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 01-25-2021 at 03:23 AM.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/...ooting-offense

Head coach Steve Kerr created a dynasty team around the idea of space and pace with the Warriors killing opponents with efficient 3-point shooting and with unrelenting fast-break opportunities.

and D which is the key no matter how much you talk about 3's

“They’ve been good for a long time so the continuity is apparent right away, they all know each other so well, they execute their stuff beautifully,” Kerr said of the Jazz. “What’s different this year is they seem to be hunting 3s more quickly and more often and it’s given them an even tougher dynamic.”

the difference between this year and last is D

The Jazz have made three straight playoff appearances and have continued to build trying to get over the hump of the first and second round of the postseason and have started this season off as one of the hottest teams in the NBA. They can still be better, but there’s no reason to think that this team, as constructed, couldn’t win a title.

there's plenty of reasons

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/1/24/22...rades-and-more

I personally expect that one of Rudy or Donovan will end up as the undisputed MVP of this team when all is said and done, but what a luxury it is to have your third best player prove to be capable of leading the team for a quarter of the season.

Likely Rudy maybe Conley.

This one is really tough. While Mike Conley has had the biggest statistical jump from last season to this one, he’s really been returning to normal, rather than improving. Miye Oni has climbed into the fringe of the rotation and deserves some love for that. But the player that truly improved the most was Jordan Clarkson. So here’s his second Quarterly award.
    Niang

Quin Snyder has a reputation around the league as an elite coach. On Adrian Wojnarowski’s “Woj Pod” on the 22nd, Woj asked Zach Lowe, “If you opened up all 30 (coaching) jobs, and you had a draft of coaches, he goes what, in your top five?” to which Lowe responded, “Yeah he’s top five, for sure.”

not seeing it

Rudy Gobert: B
    A -

c -. play both ends

Jordan Clarkson: A+

Derrick Favors: B
    C +

B +

He still gives us a scoring punch and effort on defense. Bogie has had it pretty hard from fans and analysts this year.

Posted by JazzHands2017 on Jan 24, 2021 | 5:02 PM
    D?

I hear you. I'm just not sure how on a team you ranked A minus you could have a starter logging 30 minutes a game be rated D minus

I would also cut him some slack coming back from his injury and coming off a 7 rebound, 8 assist game. I counted 7 or 8 pretty decent games and he is still shooting 37.4% from 3. Maybe a "inconclusive" would be better lol. And we can give him the 2 games to the real quarter pole to render a decision?

Posted by SKMike on Jan 25, 2021 | 12:23 AM
    Give Quin a low grade for the 30 minutes

you could say that Tony Bradley is the Most Improved Player because he turned into Derrick Favors.
    As far as the player grades, I guess they are relative to pre-season expectations, right? Otherwise, it seems strange to put Favors equal to Gobert, and O’Neale higher than them both. But if we’re talking about meeting expectations, I agree with the grades.
    All things considered, this has been a very fun and entertaining start to the season. I hope they will keep it up, and I pray that Covid-19 won’t put an early end to it.

Posted by Kira Argonova on Jan 24, 2021 | 4:47 PM
    D is .5 points better with Favors at 10 mill a year!

When I look back on this Jazz team in the future, I’ll remember the threes but what I’ll remember even more is that the reason they were so good is that they were shooting wide open shots, almost practice shots, because they move the ball around quickly and effectively.
    "That Spurs team had Duncan, their only top 5 player but they had a bunch of other weapons such as Leonard (not yet a star player), Ginobili, and Parker and then a bunch of role players like Boris Diaw, Matt Bonner, Danny Green, Patty Mills, and others who knew their roles and executed them within Pops’ scheme. Doesn’t that sound more like that Jazz that a superstar-laden team like GSW? Nobody gave them much of a chance in the finals either. But their execution led to an easy victory over what was arguably a more talented team.
    "That is the comparison we should be looking at in my opinion."

Posted by jmnunes5 on Jan 24, 2021 | 10:25 PM
    I'll think D if this team keeps it up