Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 61314151617181926 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020-21 Regular season- The tax team

https://kslsports.com/451438/jazz-lo...p-vs-pelicans/

The key matchup between the two teams will pit reserve guards Joe Ingles and Nickeil Alexander-Walker against one another.

the key is between reserves?

The Jazz and Pelicans will tip-off at 7 pm MST, the game will be broadcast on AT&T SportsNet.
    and TNT

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/...ame-win-streak

That’s not all, though. The Jazz have by far the highest net rating of any team in the league during the stretch at 16.2, which is the margin of victory per 100 possessions. The Clippers are second with a net rating of 14.2 since Jan. 8. For reference of how big Utah’s margin is over the Clippers, the Lakers are third with a net rating of 13.2.

Denver is the only good team they've beat though

https://kslsports.com/451462/niang-f...z-second-unit/

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Georges Niang had a slow start to the season with the Utah Jazz. The forward didn’t score a basket until the Jazz sixth game and had just two points through eight games.

He barely played. I thought he looked good despite his shot not falling

It’s not just Niang’s results however, it’s his style of play that has looked different within the team’s offense. The fifth-year forward appears more comfortable with the ball in his hands both as a shooter and making plays off the dribble.

always had that. Coty is allowing him to do more

“The stuff that he brings, no one else can bring. Whether that’s protection at the rim, whether that’s being an anchor, talking to us constantly. He lives and breathes it, and he’s become a true leader since I’ve been here.”

and long before but let's talk about Mitchell's MVP bid!

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/1/21/22...aq-rudy-gobert

Royce O’neale was also a huge factor in his defensive play against Brandon Ingram. O’Neale held Ingram to just 17 points on 44% shooting. Ingram was also a -18 for the game. O’Neale was physical with Ingram and anticipated everything he tried. When O’Neale can use his phisicality against wings he becomes a game-changing defender and it showed last game. If Utah wants to win this one, they’ll need that elite defense again from O’Neale, along with his impressive 45% three point shooting.

if he didn't have to play PF and be their perimeter defender he'd be a game changer as well

Shaq is going to make jokes about Gobert and Gobert needs to have a good game to show what he does. The problem is it’s not clear it will make a difference.

when does he not have a good game? Who cares what that idiot thinks!

Why do you think most NBA fans think Rudy Gobert sucks? Cause nobody that’s put on the big NBA tv shows knows about or cares about the NBA. They just debate whether LeBron is better than MJ or not.

Posted by Calvin Chappell on Jan 21, 2021 | 3:30 PM
    because of his ppg

Immediately after the game he went on TNT and had to hear Shaq, who said earlier in the night that Mitchell was just a scorer, say: “I said tonight that you are one of my favorite players but you don’t have what it takes to get to the next level. I said it on purpose because I wanted you to hear it. What do you have to say about that?” What did Mitchell have to say? “Aight.”
    – via Andy Nesbitt @ For The Win

Ben Anderson: Donovan Mitchell on the comments from Shaq and Barkley on @NBAonTNT . “I hate to take a win like this and make it about what they said about me. Look at how we played, look at how we guarded. I’m happy.”
    – via Twitter BensHoops

Eric Walden: Donovan Mitchell, on the TNT commentary: “We’ve won seven in a row. I hate to take a win like this and make it about me. … I’m here to play basketball and to win and to be the best teammate I can be. If they don’t like it, they don’t like it.”
    – via Twitter tribjazz

Tony Jones: Rudy Gobert on the TNT crew and comments: “At the end of the day, whatever they want to call us, if we keep winning games, they will have to watch us anyway. Hopefully they have to watch us until July. And then they can call us whatever they want.”
    – via Twitter Tjonesonthenba

Eric Walden: Mike Conley, on Shaq’s comments about Donovan Mitchell: “I’ve been a big fan of Don’s and seeing the way he’s grown, even before he was here. I don’t know how you can make a statement like that regarding his progress at such a young age. He’s gotten better every year.”
    – via Twitter tribjazz

Ryan McDonald: Donovan just posted this on Instagram

http://twitter.com/ryanwmcdonald/sta...898304/photo/1
    – via Twitter

https://kslsports.com/451565/non-sup...-straight-win/

Donovan Mitchell – Not A Superstar?
    seriously?

To summarize, Shaq said he didn’t believe Mitchell was a superstar in the NBA and was better served as the second or third option on a championship team.

Until he shows he can be efficient, consistent and play both ends it's true

Quickly, most players in the NBA are better served as the second or third option on a championship team. Heck, even Shaq himself was the second option to Kobe Bryant in 2003 and Dwyane Wade in 2006 when he got the final two rings of his career.

only Kobe believed that and it's why they didn't win more than 3

There’s a very convincing argument that LeBron James is the greatest player to ever pick up a basketball, and he was the Los Angeles Lakers second option last season as a scorer in their championship run.

Most players would benefit from being the second or third scoring option on a championship team, and the same applies to Mitchell, even if he’s proven that he’s more than capable of carrying a team to the playoffs as the leading scorer, something he’s done each of his first three years in the NBA.

he has? Lottery without Rudy carrying them

He also controls the pace, which is a new element of his game. The guard rarely gets sped up in his fourth season and knows how to use that pace to set a tone for a game, as he did to the tune of 13 first-quarter points on 5-6 shooting. Mitchell did it on Tuesday night against the same Pelicans roster.

rarely? It's still regular

The Jazz guard led a team to the playoffs in his rookie season after losing All-Star forward Gordon Hayward to the Boston Celtics with no compensation in return.

From the overall lockerroom enthusiasm to making Utah a destination to sign for free-agents, to handling off the floor issues with teammates while being a voice for minorities in an overwhelmingly white community, Mitchell has led the organization to places very few players in the history of the NBA could have.

Christ!

However, Barkley and Smith aren’t wrong that Mitchell is fundamentally flawed in his ability to impact games, and it may be due to his height.

more to do with his inefficiency and lack of D

Mitchell won’t ever be an elite versatile defensive player standing just 6’1. Simply put, bigger players will push through or shoot over him.

he's got the length and strength to be elite at that end. His size isn't his problem

Futhermore, in Quin Snyder’s team-first pass-happy offensive system he might never average more than five assists per game. He’s an above-average rebounder for his size, but he won’t regularly grab double-digit boards with Rudy Gobert on the roster. He’s really not asked to.

He's going to have to be up big assist numbers eventually if he's going to be the max player he's being paid to be. He rebounds well for his size and they do need it since they have no PF!

The TNT crew’s job is to generate conversation, and sometimes controversy to increase ratings. They did that tonight, even if what they said was mostly wrong.

they're wrong a lot but they weren't in this case

not sure why Utah fans and media can't take criticism?

https://kslsports.com/451548/charles...xcept-scoring/

Entering the game against New Orleans, Mitchell was averaging 23.5 points per game on 42.9 percent shooting this season. In addition to his scoring, the fourth-year guard is averaging 3.7 rebounds, 4.9 assists (career-high), 0.8 steals, and 0.4 blocks (ties career-high) per contest.

I thought he won't ever average more than 5 assists a game? .8 steals and .4 blocks and 43%? You think that helps his case?

Mitchell’s PER is No. 60 in the league at 17.97.

and raptor even lower. Not superstar. Not even star. High usage low effciency one way player

Since Mitchell began his rookie campaign, the Jazz have qualified for the NBA Playoffs every season, including reaching the second round in 2017-18.

like Stockton and Malone he was lucky to join a playoff team

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2...-team-donovan/

Meanwhile, Derrick Favors can hold his own against the starting bigs of the league in the middle of the quarters while Gobert rests. You can definitely notice a drop-off in defense, but the Jazz aren’t getting embarrassed while Favors is out there — there’s a huge difference between Favors and Tony Bradley.

there really hasn't been a huge difference. Favors was too small for Adams. I'd love to see Snyder play the guys that are playing well instead of just substituting guys just because. Jerry used to pull the same shit

What’s happened with Inside The NBA, though, is that this success in non-basketball elements has emboldened them to lose touch with the league entirely, instead just doubling down on the bits that made them famous. Shaq’s bit is just to attack players who haven’t won a ring, because it reminds the audience that he has. Charles has a big heart, but makes such bad predictions that it’s a bit of the show to write them down and make fun of them later. Kenny is clearly the best analyst of the three, and he’s still misreading plays on the big board all the time.

they suck except for Charles. Kenny thinks he's hot shot for being a role player on championship teams

In the end, Inside The NBA’s tone is just such a huge disservice to the league. The quality of play is at an all-time high, with players more skilled and smarter than ever before. And instead of championing this, the show is full of commentators that are just itching to tell you how bad it all is, how it doesn’t compare to their own accomplishments.

debatable

Here’s the meat of the issue: Shaq went after a guy who put up 36, 7, and 4 in the 7th game of a 7-game winning streak tonight. Would you ever, ever, see an NFL broadcast do that? No, because they’re in the business of keeping people impressed with their product. The NBA seems to want to do the opposite.

watch the broadcasts or NBAtv highlites. Mitchell is the Jazz. That's a disservice to Rudy

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/...leans-pelicans

Royce O’Neale sprinted into the Pelicans passing lane and got a steal but as he was trying to slow himself down he very clearly popped his foot out of bounds right in front of the official. He quickly pulled his foot back in and then tried to argue that he didn’t go out of bounds. It was hilarious and I enjoyed it.

It's not hilarious. They argue every call

There were at least two possessions in the first quarter when Bojan Bogdanovic had to be directed to his man on defense or was late rotating after Mitchell recovered from doubling Zion Williamson, and it led to two open looks for the Pelicans. Then he failed to look up court after a rebound so he missed Mike Conley breaking to the other end. Mitchell sent the full-court pass down to Conley after getting the outlet from Bogdanovic but it was just a second too late and turned into a turnover, which wouldn’t have happened had Bogdanovic looked up court rather than behind him.
    he's killing them

Georges Niang had three fouls before he’d logged four minutes on the court. Not ideal.
    I loved that Snyder left him in their. I mean what are the chances he is going to foul out as few a minutes as he gets. Misssed double figures though

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/1/21/22...novan-mitchell

I think head to head we are better than the clippers.

Posted by JazzHands2017 on Jan 22, 2021 | 12:20 AM
    we'll see. Kawai puts the Clippers ahead until the Jazz prove otherwise

Fastest to 600 3s. That's impressive

Posted by SKMike on Jan 21, 2021 | 11:37 PM
    Until Trae Young passes him

Maybe MEM’s team was always holding him back.

Posted by Palmetto Bug on Jan 22, 2021 | 12:04 AM
    they were at a similar level as the Jazz

I think DM could improve is steals, which is largely driven by defensive effort. I also think DM can improve his shooting efficiency, which will help his PPG.

Posted by Palmetto Bug on Jan 22, 2021 | 10:52 AM
    steals don't mean anything. Ricky got steals playing Matador D. Often means your gambling not playing great D. Assists/TO's/%s /D is where he needs to be better

Like when Barkley asked him about Bogey and said he thought he was the teams 2nd best player. I get he doesn’t want to be disrespectful to Bogey, but man he should have mentioned Rudy and called them all out for not knowing anything about basketball.

Posted by yelrut on Jan 22, 2021 | 11:37 AM
    Bojan is their worst player and its not close

Also said if donavan struggles we cant win games. When discounting why they jazz could be a potential top 3 team. That’s just not true. We get scoring from everywhere. Donavan has struggled a few times and we still won. The Denver game being a good example. He couldn’t make a shot to save his life in the first half and we still won.

Posted by JazzHands2017 on Jan 22, 2021 | 10:49 AM
    they can get scoring from elswehere but if Mitchell isn't hitting shots it hurts them because he's going to take a lot of shots regardless. He does do some other things unlike the one dimensional Bojan

But we lack the athleticism and roster flexibility necessary to make a deep playoff run. Looking at some recent playoff teams who made deep runs, they were able to change their defensive looks frequently to throw off opposing offensives. Miami last year. Tor the year prior. Boston pretty frequently. And while our top 8 are very good, and could lead to a very nice regular season record, they are pretty set in their roles and thus making creative in-game strategic changes may be hard.
    So, seeing us roll with zone D a little last night was interesting! That’s a nice winkle for Q to work with to see what we might do come playoff time. (Similar to how he’s been slowly bringing in some Rudy and DFavs together minutes.) I haven’t watched every game this season, but I don’t recall us using that earlier. Did I miss that, or was last night the first?

Posted by l3uddyh011y on Jan 22, 2021 | 6:07 AM
    they have enough size. Versatility is their main issue. COTY making in game changes is a problem as we saw against Denver.

Royce if he keeps this up

He’ll be a 3&D&Rebound player.

Posted by Korianderr on Jan 22, 2021 | 11:25 AM
    would like to just see him be 3 and D with a PF to handle his other role

Shams Charania: The Philadelphia 76ers are planning to sign swingman Rayjon Tucker to a two-way contract, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Tucker is expected to join the 76ers‘ G League affiliate (Delaware Blue Coats) in the Orlando bubble.
    – via Twitter ShamsCharania

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/...leans-pelicans

Mitchell’s actually been incredible during the Jazz’s win streak. He’s been tight on defense, picking up steals and deflections, creating space, collapsing the defense, making amazing passes, rebounding, playing through contact and getting to the free-throw line where he’s shot 91.4% over the last seven games.

let's not get carried away

Whether or not Mitchell is a superstar in O’Neal’s eyes or Gobert is worthy of a lucrative contract by O’Neal’s standards doesn’t really matter. Mitchell has already led the Jazz to three consecutive postseason appearances and is very likely to do the same this season. He knows, and those who watch him on a regular basis know, that he impacts the game in several areas and is more than just a scorer — and by the way, he’s pretty good at that, too.

Rudy led them but don't let facts get in the way

The Kings explored trades for Bjelica around the time of the November draft and will likely continue to do so as they begin to rebuild over the next two to four years with players who fit Fox’s timeline, a source said. The organization’s emphasis on developing younger players has temporarily, at least, eliminated the role of Bjelica, a 32-year-old power forward who had a career year for the Kings last season.
    – via Sacramento Bee

The Kings reduced Bjelica’s role as part of general manager Monte McNair’s plan to rebuild around De’Aaron Fox, the 23-year-old point guard who recently signed a five-year, $163 million contract extension, sources with knowledge of the situation told The Sacramento Bee. Bjelica was benched two weeks ago after some discussion about his playing time, sources said.
    – via Sacramento Bee

Sources told The Bee there is no personal issue for Bjelica, who traveled with the team to Los Angeles and was seen on the bench as the Kings suffered their fourth consecutive loss. Walton has tiptoed around the reasons for Bjelica’s absence while repeatedly making it clear the decision has nothing to do with the coaching staff’s belief in him as a player.
    – via Sacramento Bee

great fit on paper. Not sure how they'd get him

Might have to get a 3rd team involved to take Bojan but this works for two guys the Kings aren't playing that have expiring contracts. One that was rumored for the Jazz and another that is mormon and wanted to come here. I'd be all over that! Gives options at the 4 and flexibility going forward to keep Conley without an insane tax bill while hopefully getting better.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yygdfc65