Page 40 of 66 FirstFirst ... 303738394041424350 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020-21 Regular season- The tax team

https://sports.yahoo.com/76ers-host-...192741338.html

"When we're better defensively, the offense takes care of itself," Gobert said. "And we've seen that many times earlier in the season, when our mind is not in the right place. When we don't play the kind of defense that we know we can play, it usually affects our offense, too. And those nights are usually not our best nights."

but the media will keep telling you it's all about the 3's!

Ky Carlin: Tobias Harris is questionable for tomorrow’s game with the Jazz and Joel Embiid is not listed on the injury report #Sixers
    – via Twitter Ky_Carlin

https://kslsports.com/454448/jazz-ca...in-over-76ers/

In undoubtedly the greatest postseason performance in Jazz history, Donovan Mitchell tied the third-highest scoring output in franchise history with 57 points.

a loss in the bubble so no

In addition to his huge scoring total, the guard also grabbed nine rebounds and handed out seven assists in the loss.

and helped give up 135

https://www.ksl.com/article/50117504...about-referees

Jan. 5 @ Nets, 130-96: Brooklyn was without Kevin Durant and hadn't yet acquired James Harden, but the Jazz still lost by 34.
    but had Allen

The first: Rudy Gobert got whistled for an over-the-back foul on Zion Williamson — something Gobert said was "a terrible call." The Jazz franchise center is taller and longer than Williamson. While there was some contact, it looked pretty minimal, especially with how the game had been called to that point. Williamson scored 26 points Monday by bowling into Jazz defenders in the paint. If those weren't worthy of calls, why would a slight touch on him be one?

it's a foul and on the NBA's new darling

The second: Conley leaning in to try and draw a foul that never came. Utah's initial action had been blown up, but there was really no need to panic here. The Jazz were down 3 and there were still 20 seconds on the game clock and 15 seconds on the shot clock. Conley didn't need to rush a look, but he leaned into Eric Bledsoe and put up a shot that was nowhere close. It was like he was hoping the refs would make what some would have considered a make-up call (another tendency that brings great annoyance).

good no call

In those seven games, the Jazz are 3-4. That's not a great record, but not terribly off league-average (only 14 teams have an over .500 record in such games).

only half the teams!

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat...-deadline-2021

Should the Utah Jazz be Looking to Make a Move?
    obviously but I doubt they will

I always think that teams should be looking to get better, no matter how good they are.
    So I definitely think the Jazz should be active in looking for trade opportunities. But I don’t want them to make a trade just to make a trade. Only do it if it really makes the team better

Posted by Calvin Chappell on Mar 2, 2021 | 10:20 AM
    someone gets it and they obviously have weaknesses

if they make a trade, it will obviously be because they think it will help them this year. The Jazz needs to think short-term right now.

Posted by Kira Argonova on Mar 2, 2021 | 1:19 PM
    This year they should be all in but that doesn't mean they shouldn't look long term as well. Getting under the tax might help in the future as would more flexibility to sign Conley

Jazz could snag either with a trade exception and some sweetener.
    Would love to see Richaun Holmes on the team. Bjelica, too.
    Don’t know how such trades would affect cap space.

Posted by boredwiththeUSA on Mar 2, 2021 | 12:51 PM
    Bjelica could certainly be a fit

I don’t know that it makes sense to re-sign Conley beyond this season because he is getting older and will most definitely decline. Now would be an opportunity to trade high.
    Also, Conley’s skillset overlaps with Mitchell/Clarkson. We just don’t really need that type of player.
    But, if we are strictly thinking about this season, Bogey+Oni for Grant would be great. I don’t see why Detroit does that though. They would rather have an expiring contract and draft picks.
    (As a side note, re-signing Conley or trading Conley for another long-term contract would both put the Jazz deep into luxury tax territory next season and beyond, and Agent Smith may not be willing to do that.)

Posted by Kira Argonova on Mar 2, 2021 | 2:13 PM
    without Conley they aren't the best team in the league.

Even with mediocre defense from Bogey and Faves, we’re still comfortably top-10 in defensive efficiency by virtually any measure. Now is not the time to hit the panic button.

Posted by GregOstertagged on Mar 2, 2021 | 1:17 PM
    Bradley for Favors and no PF not looking so good is it?

tho not a big boggy fan, just not sure he brings back enough to warrant trading him. conley as an expiring might be of value to some team, but unless someone like the knicks is willing to trade you randle for him why would you do it? the other guy who would draw interest is ingles. i just can’t visualize a return that is better than what ingles is already doing for the jazz (he just has to shoot more).
    this probably the season to sit tight, and play the cards you got.

Posted by utahcoyote on Mar 2, 2021 | 1:31 PM
    I think Bojan for no one could make them better. Morgan starts. Get under tax. Fill the roster spots with vets. Hughes is another guy I'd try to throw in

Once Dok gets back from his injury I think he will be a respectable 3rd center.

He is still a rookie and underdeveloped, which is worrisome, but he has enough energy I think. Plus his play style is similar to Gobert and Favors, so bringing him off the bench wouldn’t mess up schemes. However, I’m sure the FO is looking into the exact type of trade you mentioned at the end. Not saying they will or that another team will want it, but I’d imagine they thinks it’s probably at least worth a phone call.

Posted by PianoGuy13 on Mar 2, 2021 | 6:09 PM
    4th center. A project that has proven nothing

Quin Snyder is the best thing to happen to the Jazz in the last decade.

Posted by PianoGuy13 on Mar 2, 2021 | 6:05 PM
    you mean Gobert?

https://basketball.realgm.com/analys...eak-Basketball

When the Jazz do lose, though—again, this is rare—it does appear to be about more than a random and unlikely-to-repeat blip of shooting accuracy variance. In other words, they have hibernating flaws, unusually inconspicuous because of the unique shape of the land they’re currently dominating in. The kinds of things it takes to beat them are what teams are doing less and less of in this hyper-strained season, but they’re not exactly rare basketball activities. When the Miami Heat simply badly out-rebounded them as they recently did in victory over the Jazz, for example, it does leave one realizing that Utah can probably not continue to get away with playing the 6’4” O’Neale at power forward in the more physical postseason, and still expect to get as many shots as their opponent.

was obvious last year. The fact that they signed Davis/Bojan last year and Favors this year instead of a 4 is mind blowing!

The Los Angeles Clippers, too, recently called the Jazz on their night-in-night-out size gamble, and won the bet. But they did it an arguably more modernist way than what Utah’s max-spacing approach represents; the Clippers beat the Jazz without even seeing heavy minutes from a traditional center. This was obviously just one game, but it does underline what was more prominently visible in a bad loss to the Denver Nuggets, in which Nikola Jokic abused the Jazz on his way to a 47-point performance that stands tall in his MVP campaign resume: the Jazz and, more specifically, Gobert, don’t fare well against elite size. Gobert is clearly top of the sport when it comes to preventing guards from scoring at the rim, but at stopping centers and bigger forwards (like those of the Clippers) in the restricted area, he is noticeably prone to being pushed around.

Rudy is the least of their worries

But don’t diminish Turner based on one historically challenging matchup. He should still be a frontrunner for the Defensive Player of the Year Award, if not the favorite to win the award over the likes of Embiid, Rudy Gobert and others, at least based on his body of work so far this season. Here’s why: For one, Turner leads the league in blocks at 3.4 per game, and it isn’t particularly close. Gobert came into the Philly game second in that category, 11 blocks behind. Of course, leading the league in blocks isn’t necessarily the litmus test; in 2018-19, Turner led the league in blocks and didn’t get a sniff of the award. It’s why he knew that if he wanted to bolster his candidacy, he needed to add some subtle elements to his defensive game.
    – via Bob Kravitz @ The Athletic

blocks mean little

No player contests more shots per game within six feet of the basket than Turner (10.5) and he allows a minus-16.2 percent difference in field goal percentage on these attempts. He’s not just blocking shots; he’s altering shots, making plays with his quick feet and hands and giving the Pacers one of the top — if not the top — rim protectors in the game. “It’s funny, his rookie year, he was amazing; I got to see him on the USA Select Team and thought he was the best player on the whole team. He was unbelievable,” Sixers coach Doc Rivers said. “He’s turned out to be a different kind of player than I thought he would be.
    – via Bob Kravitz @ The Athletic

Rudy gets less chances for blocks because people won't go near him.

After Utah Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell was hit with technical fouls on two separate plays in the final minute of overtime and was ejected with 30.5 seconds to go in Utah’s 131-123 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers, the All-Star said he’s tired of the Jazz being “screwed” by the referees, calling the way his team’s games are officiated “f—ing ridiculous.” “First off, you know, give the 76ers credit. They played a hard game. Joel [Embiid] did what he does, and at the end of the day, they’re a good team. We competed. But it’s tough. It’s tough to go out there and see how we fight and compete, and to have a game like that taken from us,” Mitchell said Wednesday night.
    – via Tim Bontemps @ ESPN

“Now, I’m never ever one to blame a ref, to blame an official — I can say I could have done more — but this is getting out of hand. There have been games like this that we’ve won, there have been games like this that we’ve lost. But this whole refereeing stuff. … We’re nice, we don’t complain, like, we don’t get frustrated, we fight through things, and the fact that we continually get … screwed, in a way, by this. You know?

“We won this game, in my personal opinion. You know? But like I said, I’m going to give them credit. They won. Whatever. Cool. But it’s been a consistent thing, and the question is, ‘Can we do it? Can we sustain it? Are we for real No. 1? And, yeah the hell we are. And it’s getting f—ing ridiculous, that this is what is happening.”

“We have a whole second half of the season to go and get ready for, and I’m sick of it, to be honest with you,” Mitchell said. “We all are. This is something that just it eats me. It eats at me, man. “Y’all know what it is. We all know what it is. But it’s really getting out of hand. It’s really, really, really getting out of hand. And the league needs to do something about this. “I want to see the last two-minute report. I want to see it. But it’s getting out of hand.”

That disparity also drew the ire of Gobert, Utah’s other All-Star — who, like Mitchell, also earned himself a certain fine from the NBA sometime Thursday after repeatedly calling out the officials during his own postgame media session. “Our guys are not able to get calls everybody else in the f—ing league gets,” Gobert said. “We know we are the Utah Jazz, and maybe some people don’t want to see us go as far as we can go, but it’s disappointing. “Three times in a row, Mike Conley is going to the rim, and they’re grabbing him right in front of the officials and there’s no calls. And, on the other end, there are calls that are invisible that are being made.

Gobert went on to say he believed the Jazz were being treated unfairly because they play in a small market. “I don’t want to say that,” Gobert said, “but I really believe it. After playing in this league for eight years, it’s a little harder [to be in a small market], and that’s one of the things that we’ve got to overcome. That’s why I told the guys, ‘When you’re a small market, you’ve got to be better than just better. You’ve got to be elite, and you’ve got to control what you can control.’

Philadelphia 76ers star Joel Embiid said his dominant performance in a 131-123 win over the Utah Jazz on Wednesday night was fueled by playing against star Rudy Gobert. Embiid, who had 40 points — including the game-tying 3-pointer with 6.5 seconds left to go with 19 rebounds, three assists, a steal and two blocks in 40 minutes — told ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan in December that Gobert shouldn’t have been third-team All-NBA last season over him. He also has said repeatedly he wants to win Defensive Player of the Year — an award Gobert is favored to win this season — and took exception to local media members saying he was “scared” of playing against the Jazz big man after missing Philadelphia’s loss in Utah last month with a back injury.
    – via Tim Bontemps @ ESPN.com

“As we saw tonight, it looks like I was very, very scared of him,” Embiid said, his voice dripping in sarcasm. “So, yeah, keep talking. “But going up against him, one of my goals is to also be Defensive Player of the Year. So, you know, when you go up against those types of guys, he’s a great player, and you know, he does a lot for his team that don’t show up on the stat sheet … but when you go against those guys, you know, it brings something else to my game.
    – via Tim Bontemps @ ESPN.com

https://kslsports.com/454516/jazz-su...loss-to-76ers/

Mitchell scored 33 points to lead the Jazz in a 131-123 loss to the Sixers. The loss was Utah’s second straight and third in four games.

He was awful. Still trying to prove something to Ben Simmons I guess? What's with all the iso and ball pounding? Selfish play!

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2...-nba-referees/

That needs to be fixed, and fast: officials can’t kowtow to players who yell at them, while giving bad calls to players who play respectfully.

yeah right

• Conley got clearly fouled on two consecutive drives without a whistle. Like, you tell me: does Matisse Thybulle get all ball here on Conley’s shot, or does he make a heck of a lot of contact with Conley’s arm?

it doesn't look that bad. I'm sure some calls went against the Sixers too. Usually evens out. If Utah played any D in the 2nd half they win

If the refs hadn’t been calling elbow-in-the-side, push-in-the-back calls on the other end, this wouldn’t be a conversation. But the crew swallows their whistles here — until they make a terrible call for Mitchell’s free throws in the end. That really should be an offensive foul, as Mitchell makes all of the contact illegally. Though honestly, with how the league is calling jump shot fouls right now, who knows... that needs to be addressed.
    defensive players have no chance

• I’m just blown away by this call. Matt Harpring’s right... Simmons’ right arm is hooking Mitchell’s. It’s a terrible missed call.
    that one is bad. Bigger problem was Mitchell thinking he needs to play 1 on 5
    • The Sixers changed their offense to just target Bojan Bogdanovic in overtime, even to the extent of taking the ball out of their MVP candidate’s hands. That’s the second team in a week that did that, and it’s got to be a huge worry for the Jazz. If this is happening now, in the regular season, teams are going to target it for four quarters in the playoffs. We’ll see if a week of rest rejuvenates Bogdanovic, but if it doesn’t, the Jazz will either need to change their scheme to try to hide Bogdanovic more or simply sub him out at the end of games — cratering his value to the team.

Why would it change? If it's not Bojan they'll target Mitchell

• Mitchell finished the game with 10 consecutive misses. He was on tilt because of the officiating, but yeah, that wasn’t great. He’s an inconsistent clutch player, sometimes brilliant, sometimes maddening.

and all too often selfish

• The Jazz weren’t able to get their usual assortment of offensive rebounds against the big, physical Sixers. I think that’s a legitimate concern for the playoffs, too: will the Jazz get all the free second chances they got in most of their games during the regular season?

should have been a concern after last year but here we are with Favors getting roasted and still no PF

• The Jazz nearly won this game through sheer math alone... limiting a team in 2021 to 8-25 shooting from three is a huge advantage. The same was also almost true against the Pelicans; against the Pelicans, they couldn’t protect the paint, against the Sixers, they couldn’t stop sending them to the line.

Embiid gets to the line

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/3/3/223...tchell-ejected

Obviously it’s hard to expect officials to be in the perfect spot on every play but in tonight's game, that official being in the way of the play literally cost the Jazz the game. The refs HAVE to be better than that. Please, NBA Officials, get out of the way of the play!

bad D and selfish play from their so called superstar cost them the game

On the biggest shot of the night, Joel Embiid hit a contested three to tie the game that went into overtime. Although, did it even have to happen? Utah could have fouled in this situation and held them to two free throws. It’s probably something they should look at for future situations like this.

You forget COTM is smarter than you

There were also some situations at the end of the game that Utah needs to figure out. Bojan Bogdanovic had a solid 3-point shooting night going 4/10 from three but in overtime the Sixers went right at him multiple times and got buckets each and every trip. Utah needs to figure this out. They either need to find some way to hide him on the defensive end, or they need to look at putting in another player. Joe Ingles maybe? Could they bring in Derrick Favors at the 4? Something different?

again COTM

I'm gonna disagree on one point...

… in that Mitchell taking hero ball shots is his right. What Utah was doing in the game was working. The blender was in full effect. We were getting open 3s. Mitchell taking over when he did disrupted that flow. There are games where he does it and it’s totally the right thing to do. That’s when the blender is off or when it’s a cold shooting night from outside for more than just one or two guys. Then he goes solo because that’s the best thing we got. But what he did tonight in the fourth cost the Jazz the win. He shot them out of the game. It’s out of character for how he’s played this whole season, so I don’t think it’s a long-term worry, but to give him a pass on it for this game is wrong.

Posted by Junior McSpiffy on Mar 3, 2021 | 11:10 PM
    yep!

Anybody think

Adam silver does something crazy, and like….. removes donovan from the all star game?
    I think we all knew there were gonna be post game fines, but OOOOF….. dm’s post game interview was maybe one of the strongest complaints I’ve seen from an NBA player in years….
    I could see dm getting a suspension lmao….

Posted by ThomasSmithjaz1 on Mar 4, 2021 | 5:47 AM
    yeah right!