Page 15 of 83 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617182565 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020-21 Regular season- The tax team

https://saltcityhoops.com/an-improve...ooting-season/

How Has Clarkson’s Game Changed?
    not playing 1 on 5 as much

It’s also worth noting that Clarkson proved playable in the playoffs. We saw what happened to Harrell last postseason, with his minutes, shots and scoring all dropping from his regular season levels. In contrast, Jordan averaged 16.7 ppg, 3.4 rpg, and 2.1 apg with 57% TS in 28.6 mpg during the Jazz’s seven playoff games. This was a massive improvement from his 4.7 ppg, 1.7 rpg, and 0.7 apg with 35% TS in 15.1 mpg during his only other playoff run with the Cavs. His defense is never going to be his strength, but the eye test shows increased effort this season. Concerns about playoff performance were put to rest last year. To make a deep playoff run, the Jazz will need him to remain an efficient volume producer off the bench.

He was awful in the bubble. 1 on 5 with all their best players standing and watching

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/1/19/22...iew-start-time

The Jazz are coming back home after defeating Denver on Sunday on the road and playing 7 of their last 8 on the road. The team officially starts a six game home stand tonight and the next two are against the Pelicans. It is encouraging to see the Jazz get quality wins at Milwaukee and at Denver during the recent road trip but they will have their hands full with New Orleans who are better than their record suggests they are. For the Jazz, Derrick Favors is probable to go tonight but Joe Ingles is still questionable and rookie guard Elijah Hughes will be out.

Morgan back?

This might be a good game to start Favors and Gobert together.

And I wouldn’t mind seeing some Dok.

Posted by Kira Argonova on Jan 19, 2021 | 11:25 AM
    yeah great idea when they're playing well

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat...tah-jazz-stats

To me, the number 1 thing is assists. In losses, Utah has ended with just 17 assists per game. In wins, however, that average is up to 25.6 per game. That’s a huge difference. Now part of that might just be shot making vs shot taking, no doubt. But I think there’s more to it than that. Quin Snyder has often been quoted as wanting to play with pace, which he also implies pace in the half court set and not just getting on the break. When the ball is getting whipped around and everyone is involved, the Jazz play better. Better shots are being taken and therefore more shots are going in.

duh! Especially Mitchell

My takeaway from this is how much more this needs to be preached. Well, except for maybe to Jordan Clarkson. That guy is just a gift to basketball and is a wonder worker for the Jazz bench, which Calvin covered here. But for everyone else, just let the offense come to you! Early stats are showing that it’s leading to more wins!

It needs to apply to him and Mitchell especially

https://kslsports.com/451375/jazz-gr...oint-shooting/

The question becomes, are the Jazz far enough ahead of the rest of the league in this three-point shooting trend that they can have an edge like Woods did on the PGA tour before the rest of the league catches up, or will enough teams be doing this in the near future that it will no longer be a significant advantage?

again I'd be more worried about the D

Against the Pelicans, Niang became a ball-in-hand isolation playmaker when matched up with Williamson, and he had repeated success.

which he's capable of. Hasn't had much of a chance to show it with the Jazz. Not when they have a ball handling playmaker the likes of Bojan!

“I think it’s about never letting up, never getting in the habit of losing focus,” Gobert said. “Whenever we get up by 20, or whenever we feel like we’re playing well, always stay aware. There are a few games that we lost because we did that like in New York.”

definitely a big let down in the 4th

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2...jazz-run-easy/

Bogdanovic had the least success, but that’s what you’d expect, and in my opinion, Williamson gave it all back and more on the defensive end with his inability to impact the game in space and as an off-ball defender. If they’d have Favors out there, Williamson’s job would be easy.

You mean letting Favors spotting up for 3 would be an easier assignment? Imagine that!

I mean, how was this Gobert’s block? He’s not even looking at Bledsoe, who’s well beyond him!

but he can't guard on the perimeter!

It was self-inflicted difficulty, but Gobert’s ability on this play is just otherworldly. Utahns are so, so lucky to watch this guy work in the prime of his career.

and at least a couple of us realize it. The rest wait for a Mitchell dunk

(By the way, an underrated Mitchell highlight candidate: his rebounds. He gets up for some crazy rebounds in the fourth quarter of close games, out-jumping some huge dudes.)

He had at least one that he got with one arm that was nice

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/...h-straight-win

“Maybe the biggest thing is that we’re working, whether it be running or staying focused in space and to re-space. When we do that and move the ball, we’re capable of getting some books and we’re making them right now. Knock on wood, hopefully we keep making them, but the main thing is defending.” — Jazz head coach Quin Snyder
    yep it's all about D. Won't matter how many they score if they don't defend

The Jazz seem to have a little bit of a Mike Conley problem lately. Conley isn’t doing anything wrong. On the contrary, he’s been great for the Jazz. But there were a few stretches when Conley sat down and it looked like the Jazz completely forgot what they were doing. It’s happened in a few games, actually. Transitioning from one lineup to another is something to keep an eye on as the season progresses.
    Ingles and Mitchell have to do better or give Shaq a go. He appears to run the garbage time unit well

Bogdanovic committed three turnovers in the first five minutes of the game. Not great. To his credit though, he kept his head on through the rest of the game and didn’t let it affect him on offense and didn’t commit another turnover for the rest of the night.
    but still kills them. If they could replace him with a modern starting 4 they might actually have a chance at winning it all

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/1/20/22...-2020-analysis

Spida is a Top 20 player, but what does he need to do to be a Top 10 guy or even an MVP?

a top 80 player in Raptor 4th on the Jazz. Come on really? When he's efficient and plays D get back to us with this shit

In ESPN’s preseason Top 100 ranking of NBA players, Mitchell came in at 18th. And for all the hate that list (probably deservingly) got, that’s right around where Mitchell probably is. He’s a clear top 20 guy, top 15 depending on who you ask, but very much outside the top 10.

the only analytics where he ranks is usage. He's nowhere near top 20

There’s an ongoing debate on whether Mitchell should become the official point guard on the depth chart and bring in more size in the backcourt. Yours truly staked his claim on this topic back in March of 2019, Tony Jones made his own appeal back in August, and it’s a question visited again on SLC Dunk as recently as November. But no matter what decision is made going forward, Mitchell must develop more elite point guard skills to maximize his potential.

but than you watch a pro like Conley and realize Mitchell isn't a pg and probably never will be

A fairly poor start has left Mitchell behind in several of these areas. His scoring is down slightly from 24.0 to 23.5 (something to keep a close eye on in terms of improvement given his PPG has increased year-by-year for his whole career) as is his free throw rate which currently sits at .212, (previous year was .240 in case you didn’t remember).

and still the best start of his career by far I'm sure

Not one mention of defense. Typical!

I might quibble and say he needs to be All-NBA before he can be MVP. But…whatever, let’s do this!
    I voted passing/playmaking, but I can see an argument for finishing at the rim.
    Another option NOT on this list? Defense.
    Coming out of college, the chatter about DM was that his D would carry him into regular NBA minutes. And while the team is asking him to carry the offensive load in a way that doesn’t put too as much responsibility on him defensively (smartly!), Donovan DOES have defensive chops, and — while not often — we HAVE seen that part of his game come out. (I remember when late in the Den series, DM switched onto Murray for several key possessions, not Royce, and DM totally locked him up!) Can he do that a whole game? A whole season? Probably not. BUT IF HE COULD, that would put him in Kawhi / Jimmy Butler company, and much closer to MVP discussions.

Posted by l3uddyh011y on Jan 20, 2021 | 12:22 PM
    I'd say he needs to be a true star and not just a manufactured one and the best player on his team before he's an MVP candidate

Rudy Gobert will never get MVP votes.

Posted by Kira Argonova on Jan 20, 2021 | 1:33 PM
    nope. This article and everyone calling Mitchell their best player is typical. All the analytis in the orld and people still look at highlites and ppg

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/1/19/22...h-straight-win

Again, a bad shooting night, or series could doom us, but we can also beat literally any team in the nba if we average 40%.
    That includes the lakers and bucks

Posted by ThomasSmithjaz1 on Jan 20, 2021 | 12:18 AM
    They'll have a tough time against the Lakers because of their lack of size. We've seen it will be a problem already this year and the spacing will disappear of Favors is at the 4. It's still their weak link. And it's not just necessarily about going big to matchup it's about being able to create mismatches which Snyder hasn't tried with Favors.

2. JINGLES! I always assumed the back end of Joe’s deal would be bad, as age catches up with everyone. (Except CP3. Dude has a painting of himself somewhere in a closet aging…) Early this season, I was a little worried he was aging faster and worse than I anticipated. Last night he looked smooth! His release was quick, he was getting to his spots and looked ready and eager to go when he had a look. Prior Jingles was far more than a catch-and-shoot 3 guy (solid on-ball D, very good ball handler, great in the PnR). Even if NONE of those things come back — and it seemed like he did very little ball handling last night — Joe can be a really effective threat for this team if his shot looks like it did last night.
    3. …that dude Zion… He still looks big. There were a handful of times where I was like: a dude that big should be able to move like that!

Posted by l3uddyh011y on Jan 20, 2021 | 5:06 AM
    Joe was declining horribly when they extended him last year so why would you think that? It might still look bad by the time it's done especially if they lose Conley while paying the rest of these guys instead.

It’s tough the way the minutes are staggered. I think the team would be better served if mitchell had ingles playing with him instead of conley. Mitchell needs that primary ball handler and playmaker to take some of that pressure of so he can just let the game come to him and do his thing.
    I’m not sure how they would rearrange the minutes but I think they would be better. Ingles is good anywhere you put him but I think hes best around our most talented players. Which is another reason why this year’s team is great. We have so many guys that can be the guy any given night.
    I thought ingles had lost a step earlier in the year aswell. But he does look really good and I just think it was either his Achilles or early season jitters-kinks being worked out. The team looks great but I dont think they have even begun to hit their ceiling yet.

Posted by JazzHands2017 on Jan 20, 2021 | 1:39 PM
    question coty's rotations?

This game, more than any other I’ve watched this season, really makes me appreciate the vast gulf between Tony Bradley and Derrick "Sexual" Favors, and how much Favs adds to our team. I can’t point to any one moment in particular, but there were just a couple of plays where Favors played big strong post defense that prevented easy Pelicans baskets in a way our old bench never would have.

Posted by InterestingIntelligent on Jan 20, 2021 | 7:09 AM
    when their giving up all those offensive boards it makes me wonder what it would be like to have that 30 on a true modern starting 4 instead of a backup center

The most surprising thing has been his defense so far this season. I think even Conley groupies must be surprised with that. All of his defensive stats (traditional and advanced) are way up this season compared to last. In fact, he is on pace to match last season’s total DWS after about 20 games.
    Conley apologists last season were only looking at his ppg while ignoring how inefficient he was at getting those points, and ignoring the fact that he wasn’t helping the team in any other way either. This season, his scoring is up a little, but his real improvement is a dramatic increase in shooting efficiency and big jumps in rebounds, assists, steals, and defense in general. He is doing everything better this season.

Posted by Kira Argonova on Jan 20, 2021 | 8:16 AM
    defense is the big change. He was fine on the other side a year ago outside the first few games

Opposing teams know that the most valuable shot in basketball is a Rudy dunk. They’ve chosen to largely take that away at the expense of allowing open threes. The threat of a Rudy dunk is almost as valuable as an actual Rudy dunk.

Posted by Kira Argonova on Jan 20, 2021 | 9:37 AM
    which is the main reason his finishing hasn't been as good this year

Quinn has done a great job utilizing this teams strengths.

Posted by JazzHands2017 on Jan 20, 2021 | 1:50 PM
    only took them 6 years to figure it out!

https://fansided.com/2021/01/20/utah...ing-contender/

This year, just 13 of Gobert’s 425 minutes (about 3 percent) have come alongside Favors, a rotation tweak that has definitely juiced the offense. But the defense has still been elite with single-big lineups and players like Bogdanovic, Joe Ingles and Georges Niang taking most of the minutes at the 4. The defense hasn’t been nearly as effective with Favors alone but he’s playing a career-low 16.2 minutes per game and the Jazz seem to have figured out a much more effective (and constrained) role for him than when he was last with the team.

Royce

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/kar...utm_source=RSS

I'm sure he could play more. Teams don't play guys big minutes anymore outside Thibs

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Worried that they aren't tanking forever like the Kings?
    Was this at 2am mountain time??

Quote Originally Posted by Kings2024Champs View Post
    Was this at 2am mountain time??
    Trump virus time