Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020-21 Regular season- The tax team

https://www.slcdunk.com/2020/12/28/2...iew-start-time

The Jazz have the edge here. Mike Conley and Donovan Mitchell should be able to beat Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and George Hill on the offensive end and contain them on defense. It should be noted, though, that the Thunder probably don’t want SGA spending much time guarding Conley. Instead, they will likely switch their wings onto him in an attempt to make Mitchell the sole focus of the offense.

not sure the Jazz have the edge

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander ("SGA") is a nice young player, but I wouldn’t characterize him yet as a star. SGA might have an opportunity to break out and become a star this season with very few other good players on the team. George Hill and Al Horford are good players, but they are both getting a bit long in the tooth—each being 34 years old, and Hill with almost 22,000 NBA minutes played, while Horford has played almost 28,000 NBA minutes. Trevor Ariza is 35 years old with over 31,000 NBA minutes played (and I heard that he is injured right now)—and is no longer the player he once was. The only other potential rotation-quality player on the team is 2nd year player Luguentz Dort, who is a very good defensive player, but not yet a good offensive player.
    I think the Jazz would have to play very poorly (for the second game in a row) to lose to the Thunder, just comparing the two rosters.

Posted by Fesenko for President on Dec 28, 2020 | 3:09 PM
    Probably a good argument for him be better than Mitchell

i don't think people really like niang

i think for the most part everyone is just fine if he never plays more than like six to eight minutes a game

Posted by Viktor Vaughn on Dec 28, 2020 | 4:50 PM
    I think he, Oni, Morgan and Shaq should have gotten run last game

isn’t Bazley the player who was ultimately chosen with the Jazz’s original 2019 1st round pick?

Posted by Fesenko for President on Dec 28, 2020 | 3:48 PM
    yeah he was selected for OKC

The Jazz won the game 110-109, with Mitchell hitting a banked runner with seven seconds left to provide the final margin. The Thunder had a chance to win at the buzzer, with Shai Gilgeous-Alexander driving to his right, but he was met by the towering presence of Gobert and his albatross arms contesting the shot. Gilgeous-Alexander’s layup was short, Gobert grabbed the rebound and the buzzer sounded with the ball in his hands. “It’s just basketball. I was just focused on trying to get the win,” Gobert said. “The one [big] thing was being back at the same hotel, all the memories. It was a little weird.”
    – via Royce Young @ ESPN

Monday’s game was fitting for a lot of reasons, but to have Mitchell hit the go-ahead shot and Gobert produce the winning stop showcased the formula the Jazz have built their hopes on. Snyder referenced the growth the team experienced from that night in March, but it runs deeper than winning a basketball game almost 10 months later. “I think all of us have such a greater appreciation for what we consider to be a normal life,” the coach said. “You can’t help but remember that evening; it was significant for both teams, really for the league. But also, the contrast between that point and where we are now, the season, the hiatus, the bubble, coming back and playing again — it seems like a lifetime since that happened.”
    – via Royce Young @ ESPN

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...a-city-thunder

Rudy Gobert’s defense on the Thunder guards in the final minutes of the game was incredible. Full stop.
    and that's why he's paid. Mitchell?

Through three games, Mike Conley has been the Jazz’s most consistent and reliable player. While the Jazz would probably prefer that Mitchell, Gobert, Bogdanovic and Joe Ingles were more consistent, it’ll be really nice when that group gets it together and Conley is already in a nice rhythm.
    Gobert is doing what he does as is O'Neale. Mitchell has been the worst. Bojan had before he came alive finally.

When Thunder big man Mike Muscala is on the floor, there is absolutely no reason to not attack him at the rim. He’s not who anyone thinks about when you say “rim protection.” The Jazz didn’t seem to get the memo. Then, on the other end, they left Muscala open from the only place that he’s actually dangerous — the corner. Just wildly bad choices by the Jazz.
    Yu have to make him pay at the other end because the choice is hard. Guard the 3 and get Rudy away from the rim where they'll get layups?

Mitchell got the game-winning bucket by going one-on-one with Dort, which is impressive and it’s what he’s supposed to do as the leader of this team, but he lost that one-on-one battle twice in a row on the possessions that preceded the final one. That wasn’t the only time on Monday that his decision making was questionable. There were really bad turnovers and iffy shot selection, and when Mitchell plays like that, he ends up making the game harder on himself and then forcing things on the offensive end and wearing himself out so he’s not as impactful on the defensive end.
    He's not the leader. You watching the same team as me?

The Jazz were supposed to be a better defensive team and be putting some emphasis on guarding the 3. I haven’t seen a ton of evidence that they’ve changed at all or made any strides in that department. Still waiting to see if they’re going to give Shaquille Harrison a shot.
    You mean it wasn't all Bradley's fault?

There was a moment late in the first quarter when Quin Snyder decided to get both Georges Niang and Miye Oni on the floor in what I can only assume was an attempt to get the ball in the basket. I feel like if you have to dig that deep into the bench in the first quarter of just the third game of the season just to get guys to shoot the ball, there’s something that’s not totally right.
    I think those two, Morgan, Shaq and Brantley all should get a shot if the guys in the game suck. They at least defend

https://www.slcdunk.com/2020/12/28/2...ty-rudy-gobert

In the end, Mitchell will get the nod from me because despite a very yikes shooting night (8 of 23 overall, 2 of 10 from three), he did what stars do in the clutch — score no matter how the first three quarters went. He entered the final seven minutes with a 3 of 14 shooting night at his back and proceeded to go 5 of 9 the rest of the way plus 2 of 2 at the free throw line.
    he wouldn't need to do that if he didn't suck most of the night. Maybe by February he'll start playing. Usually takes him a couple months at least

The NBA G League is focused on Orlando’s Disney campus as its bubble playing site for the 2021 season amid the coronavirus pandemic, with tipoff tentatively scheduled for Feb. 8, sources tell The Athletic’s Shams Charania.
    – via The Athletic @ The Athletic

G League teams have been given tentative dates to prepare for, subject to change: 1. Jan. 19, arrival in their home markets for physicals and onboarding 2. Jan. 26, teams arrive at the single site in Orlando 3. Tip-off set for Feb. 8, with the tentative playoff schedule will be from March 5 to March 9. The G League is expected to play a 12-to-15-game schedule, sources said.

The following 11 franchises will not send a G League affiliate: Atlanta (College Park Skyhawks), Boston (Maine Red Claws), Chicago (Windy City Bulls), Dallas (Texas Legends), Detroit (Grand Rapids Drive), Los Angeles Lakers (South Bay Lakers), Miami (Sioux Falls Skyforce), Milwaukee (Wisconsin Herd), Phoenix (Northern Arizona Suns), Sacramento (Stockton Kings) and Washington (Capital City Go-Go; will utilize Erie).

I think Tucker would be on Milwaukee if he played so maybe the Jazz will have him back. He barely played for the Stars unfortunately for him

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat...-rotation-2020

The Jazz should have a much deeper team this season

they should but the coach would actually have to play them to prove it

Joe Ingles certainly is on a decline from his peak. However, I think we can expect solid production from him again this year. The signing of Derrick Favors should especially help given their chemistry in the pick and roll. Joe had somewhat of a down and inconsistent year last year, but hopefully staying in Utah all offseason and getting his body right again will help. Joe only has this year and next on his deal, at which point I wonder if he’ll call it a basketball career or not.

nah he's due for an extension anyday

The Return. The Jazz front office prioritized Derrick Favors this offseason in hopes of addressing the defensive issues whenever Rudy Gobert isn’t on the court. We probably won’t see big raw numbers from Favs, but he contributes to winning basketball. His 5-year market value is surprisingly high at over 66 million. Personally, I still think it was an overpay to give your backup center the full MLE, but I love Favors and he’ll definitely be a key role player this season.

not an overpay if you don't have other needs which they do. The D still sucks. At least Tony was cheap and young when the D sucked

This is your reminder that the Jazz got Jordan Clarkson for Dante Exum and a couple 2nd round picks. I was shocked at the $$$ got in his new contract... until I saw some of the other contracts that guards/wings got. Clarkson was an absolute revelation for the bench last season and he’s been great so far this year. He’s an instant spark whenever he comes in and can absolutely torch opposing benches. I would argue 538’s model doesn’t appreciate Clarkson enough.

they appreciate the gunner plenty

I don’t mean to be too harsh here, but scrub sounds about right for Niang. I was really frustrated by the # of minutes he got last season, but I did recognize the Jazz were fairly shallow at his position. Fortunately, the Jazz seem to have addressed that and his minutes are down to just 7-10 per game. That feels a lot more in line than 14 minutes per game last season. He’s a great shooter and that spacing helps. But that’s about it.

He's a actually got a lot more game than that

I couldn’t agree more with Adam Bushman that Utah’s defensive woes weren’t strictly when Rudy was off the court. Their perimeter defense was lacking severely. Harrison was one of the best perimeter defenders this offseason and the Jazz brought him in for cheap. So far he hasn't got much burn for coach Quin Snyder, but I think that will change as he gets more comfortable. Early signs from camp confirmed that he can indeed defend at a high level. I look forward to seeing more of him.

He hasn't gotten any burn

Miye Oni was probably the winner of “summer” camp this year. The Jazz front office and coaches were raving about the strides he made as a player, especially defensively. 538’s model feels like Oni will have a place in this league and it would appear that Oni will get the chance to prove that. Now it’s just up to him to perform when given the opportunity.

Morgan?

those 7 mins should be going to our young players so they develop or Harrison so he can integrate with the system sooner

Posted by statpower on Dec 29, 2020 | 2:24 PM
    The gleague and practice is for development not NBA games. He should put the guys out there that can win games. I'd be more worried about the minutes of the 8 guys ahead of Niang that still suck at D

Ben Anderson: Mike Conley gave all of his teammates PlayStation 5s for Christmas. Clarkson said Conley has been the most generous gift giver he’s played with. – via Twitter BensHoops

Eric Walden: Jordan Clarkson was asked about the process of changing his shot distribution, and before he could answer, Joe Ingles yelled from offscreen, “Nah, if JC sees the hoop, the ball’s going up!” – via Twitter tribjazz

Eric Walden: Joe Ingles, asked if there was anything new that Fav had added to his game, replied, “He added some length to his hair, but that’s about it.” Said that from the first week of practice, it just felt natural having him back out there. – via Twitter tribjazz
    Ingles gets it

https://kslsports.com/449763/reports...disney-bubble/

Considering the quarantine protocols for players entering and leaving the bubble, recalling a two-way player from Orlando could be a time-consuming affair. Teams may prefer to keep two-way players on their main roster in case of an emergency need.
    If healthy they need to send them and their other two rookies ideally. I'd leave Brantley behind before them even though his days on the roster are limited. He's all Gleague. He's already proven himself at that level though with 18 teams the level should be a lot higher this year.
    Be great to have Morgan and Oni as well since they aren't playing. Too many young guys once again
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 12-30-2020 at 05:37 PM.

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat...ence-standings

Yea, we’re just three games into the season but we’re already going to look at the storylines from the Utah Jazz season thus far. In just 144 minutes we’ve seen a team that looks like the best in the west, a team getting upset by a perennial lottery team and nearly get upset again but pull out a win. This season is already a roller coaster so let’s get right into it.

pretty much what we saw last year except Favors isn't cheap, young and improving nor leading the league in offensive rebounding %

In the two games since facing the Trail Blazers, Utah has allowed perimeter guys to go off. First, Minnesota rookie and 2020 first overall draft pick, Anthony Edwards, went off for 18 points on 8 of 12 shooting. Then Oklahoma City second-year guard, Luguentz Dort, had a career-best 26 points on 9 of 11 shooting.

but I thought Bradley was to blame? Why hasn't Favors solved this?

Save for Mitchell’s 12 straight points to close out the game against Oklahoma City, which included a game-winning floater, the newly minted $195 million-dollar man has been an incredible disappointment. The points volume is mostly there at an average of 20.3 per game (down from 24.0 last year), but the efficiency is flat-out not present.
    Is anyone surprised. He didn't show up last season until December and January the year before. Yet to show he can be a consistent, efficient two way player which he needs to be with the money they are paying him

Shooting is going to be a major theme of this season if the attempts keep coming. Right now, the Jazz are on the low end based on their potential, but this is something that could easily rise given just how many great shooters are on the roster.

this is the one I wouldn't be worried about unless Favors is at the 4

https://www.ksl.com/article/50075011...-the-utah-jazz

It's coming along — and maybe the end of Utah's triple-double drought will come with it.

who cares? I'd like to see some defense

https://kslsports.com/449799/jazz-lo...n-versus-suns/

Though he’s struggled from the field, Mitchell has had dominant stretches in each of the Jazz first three games that have helped the team to a winning record.

it's kept them from a perfect record

https://kslsports.com/449788/donovan...itch-for-jazz/

Until Mitchell reaches the point where he has eliminated those games from his repertoire, his ability to flip the superstar switch for stretches each game will be crucial.
    what's crucial is stepping up defensively and getting the ball to those that can hit a shot

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...son-joe-ingles

The Utah Jazz haven’t been great defending the 3-point line so far, but does anything need to change?

No nothing needs to change as long as you are happy with wasting Rudy's career