Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020-21 Regular season- The tax team

https://www.slcdunk.com/2020/12/31/2...iew-start-time

The Jazz have had a very up and down start to the season with a strong showing to begin the season against the Portland Trail Blazers but have looked sluggish and slow on defense after that. Combine that with poor shooting and some questionable shot selection from their two stars, Donovan Mitchell and Bojan Bogdanovic, they lost to the Minnesota Timberwolves and barely beat the Oklahoma City Thunder.

now Bojan is a star too!

So far this season Mitchell is shooting 27% from three and 32% from the field. Those percentages will go up as the season progresses but part of helping those percentages will come from Mitchell improving his shot selection. Mitchell has taken on a larger role with the playmaking for the Jazz offense this year and he needs to trust his teammates more. Mitchell has shown to be an excellent passer and when he makes plays for his teammates he’ll see easier scoring opportunities open up for him. And for Utah to become one of the elite contenders Mitchell needs to average more assists per game otherwise there’s too much variance when Mitchell has bad shooting nights.

and play D

For whatever reason Gobert will always be under appreciated but those who watch him on a regular basis know that he is a major part of the Jazz’s winning formula. If he can have a dominant night against the Suns, Utah should be able to win tonight’s game and ring in the new year with a 3-1 record.

He's the main part. One of the worst teams in the league without him

Gobzilla is posting a .282 ws/48… which is probably top 5 in the nba right now.

Posted by ThomasSmithjaz1 on Dec 31, 2020 | 11:29 AM
    His usual. Luckily for him he has all stars in Mitchell and Bojan to carry his sorry ass

The best comparison i can think of is Karl Malone. Malone was playing amazing and never got injured. Then almost overnight he got his knee injury and was done.
    Lebron doesn’t look like that this year, but his min per game is slowly decreasing as are his free throw attempts season over season. He is settling for more and more perimeter shots too. If he shot near 37-38% then fine, but he is at league average for 3 point shooting at around 34%. He has transitioned to becoming a facilitator and ball handler. All signs that to me add up to he is starting to feel a little of his age. I wouldn’t be surprised if he plays one year with his son and then calls it quits knowing he already has the scoring title by that time (I assume).

Posted by brianH85 on Dec 31, 2020 | 1:23 PM
    He'd dropped off considerably before that as has Lebron

Booker still doesn’t impress me. What he does to impact winning I don’t see.
    -Crowder is so much fun. Lol. I love him.
    -Cameron Payne has played well off their bench. Puts a ton of pressure on the d. Surprising.
    -Saric is playing backup center in a 5-out lineup. Gotta defend and abuse on the other end.
    -If any of the announcers talk about the 8-0 Bubble Suns, I’ma lose my shit. They beat the Wizards and seven teams who didn’t need to win a single game to make the playoffs and gave zero f’s about winning. The 12 games before the Bubble they were 6-12, so…and they were 26-39 overall…just saying. I’m annoyed by it. They sucked, feasted on some teams uninterested in winning or losing or anything meaningful other than not getting hurt and it became some incredible narrative that landed them CP. Lol.
    -Gallaway will chuck away when he comes in no matter how he’s guarded, so hopefully we defens him well.
    I have enjoyed watching Phoenix. CP is a master and I like Cam Johnson and love (see: LOVE) Bridges. We should kill them and will likely lose to Cameron Payne.

Posted by Karl Stalone 32 on Dec 31, 2020 | 12:25 PM
    What does that say about Mitchell? Booker certainly better than him

https://www.slcdunk.com/2020/12/31/2...ll-mike-conley

Find the Three Ball
    Not something I'd be worried about unless Favors is at the 4

There probably isn’t a more deserving veteran NBA player that is more worthy of an NBA ring than Mike Conley, and if he keeps this recent play up, it won’t be out of the question in 2021.
    it's out of the question unless the Jazz do something to fix what's wrong and it's the same as what was wrog a year ago and wasn't addressed so I don't think they see anything wrong

Watching Donovan Mitchell over the years has been an absolute treat. He’s gotten better each of his first three seasons, and was named an All-Star in 2020. What’s the next step for Spida? If Mitchell can take another step in the right direction in 2021, the Jazz could be very dangerous. If he can reach that “next level” of scoring like he showed in the playoffs, and find some consistency, this year will be a good one for Jazz fans.

defense, efficiency, playmaking. Wouldn't count on it

Obviously, the end goal for the Jazz, and really any team in the NBA is an NBA Championship. For for sake of keeping our resolutions completely realistic, the Western Conference Finals are a better goal for the Jazz this season. Not saying at all that a Championship is out of the question, but reaching the WCF is a good start. After addressing some glaring needs in the offseason, the Jazz should be better than they were last season. Getting Bojan Bogdanovic back, adding Derrick Favors, another year of cohesion with Mike Conley and Jordan Clarkson, and lowkey sneaking signing of Shaq Harrison (once he’s 100% healthy), is plenty enough to make the Jazz a better contender. If the Jazz play their game, a WCF appearance is absolutely there for the taking, and that would make for a spectacular 2021.

Harrison is 100%. He wouldn't have played otherwise. 2nd round should be the goal sadly. The glaring needs still seem to be glaring for some reason

Lokomotiv Kuban is close to reaching an agreement with free agent guard Nigel Williams-Goss according to Mozzart Sport. Williams-Goss was waived by the Utah Jazz earlier this month.
    – via EuroHoops.net

probably where he belongs. Good luck!

https://kslsports.com/449818/utah-ja...rs-resolution/

Worse yet, it’s hard to imagine a scenario where the Jazz wouldn’t have advanced had Bojan Bogdanovic, one of the league’s true iron men, not missed the close to the season after undergoing wrist surgery in May.

the scenario where their D gets even worse with him on the floor?

Only four of the next nine games are against teams projected to make the playoffs, but Cleveland, New York, and Washington (I know they are winless) are no pushovers. The Jazz were a surprisingly good road team last season winning 21 of 37 games away from home, finding that same success in January would be a huge boost to their future playoff seeding.

they've generally been a good road team under Snyder. Don't siminate at hime for whatever reason anymore though

The Jazz are getting a full taste of what made Mike Conley a star player in Memphis and one of the highest-paid players in the NBA. The veteran guard is the team’s second-leading scorer, is tied with Mitchell as the team leader in assists, and has continued to see his efficiency climb from last year’s perplexing drop.

anyone have more stars that aren't stars than the Jazz?

The bad news? Conley is going to hit the suddenly depleted unrestricted free-agent market in the summer of 2021 and is due for a big payday the Jazz likely can’t afford.

If they want to pay Favors, Clarkson and Ingles instead that's their problem

Mitchell may be that point guard of the future, but Joe Ingles has left his athletic prime and may be forced to move his game closer to the rim defensively rather than continue to float around the perimeter.

he might have to be traded

No More First Round Exits
    they won't get a first round if they don't play better than the have the past two games

After giving Mitchell and Gobert nearly $400 million this offseason, and with this being the last year with Conley under contract, this may very well be the most talented roster the Jazz field this decade.

the most talented team will have Mitchell playing like the superstar he's supposed to be

https://kslsports.com/449836/jazz-vs-suns-game-night/

“Minnesota and Oklahoma City were very different from Portland,” Snyder said. We see a different team again tonight in Phoenix. So I think it stretches you, it stretches your versatility, collectively, not just with respect to a given player but how a team can adjust.”

how about having a coach that adjusts?

https://www.ksl.com/article/50075677...-year-favorite

In that case, if he sees the hoop, the ball is going up. At least if he's standing in the right spot.

and even if he's not

https://www.ksl.com/article/50076221...hey-can-fix-it

A worrisome pattern: Why Utah's offense continued a troubling trend in loss to Suns — and how the Jazz think they can fix it
    the offense will be fine as long as Favors isn't at the 4. I'd be more worried about the D

"We didn't play well," Utah head coach Quin Snyder said.

and once again you stuck with the same guys

The good news? The team doesn't think these are hard fixes. The bad news? They've said that before.

the bad news is if you don't take care of business many other teams will

https://kslsports.com/449849/jazz-en...-loss-to-suns/

Chris Paul and Mike Conley bring veteran point guard experience. Donovan Mitchell and Devin Booker are star shooting guards. Royce O’Neale and Mikal Bridges bring floor spacing and defense. Jae Crowder and Bojan Bogdanovic are big-bodied three-point shooters. While Rudy Gobert and DeAndre Ayton are rim-running big men.

Crowder is more like Royce. Bojan?

Booker had an efficient 25 points on an efficient 10-17 shooting. Mitchell finished with 23 points on 9-23 shooting. He’s yet to have an efficient night this year.

yet to have an efficient year

Bogdanovic scored just three points on 0-5 shooting while grabbing just one rebound and handing out one assist. It was the worst game of Bogdanovic’s career, which is tough because that was true of the forward’s game Saturday night in the loss to Minnesota.

the question is why isn't he riding the bench?

Royce O’Neale got a flagrant foul penalty one after a pretty clean swipe against Devin Booker. He definitely cocked his arm back, but the ends probably didn’t justify the call.

was weak

https://www.slcdunk.com/2020/12/31/2...ell-game-recap

While it was a disappointing showing by the Jazz to end the year, we can be sure that 2021 will bring better things. Jazz have always struggled early in the season under Quin Snyder. They’ll go on a run or two later this season that will have Jazz fans salivating at the mouth again. And, well, 2020, in general, shouldn’t be hard to beat.

Yeah they'll beat up on some crappy teams. Who will they'll blame with Bradley gone though?

Bogdanovic for Crowder? lol

Ask that again mid-season when he’s averaging 20 plus & 40 something percent from three while Crowder’s struggling to make 40 percent from the field.

Posted by uncle-ingles on Jan 1, 2021 | 12:10 AM
    Crowder would hurt the spacing but is better at everything else.

It would have been nice to see this in the second quarter. I’d also like to see Q try just giving the ball to Donovan and Clarkson with no screen, put Gobert/Favors in the dunker’s spot, put Conley and Bogie in the corners to see how they play it once in a while. When the defensive big knows he’s gonna be put in high p/r every play, they can get comfortable dropping, like Ayton did tonight.
    -This has to be said. Mitchell ****ingsucks defensively. His effort is often reactive (when he’s already been beat) or performative (when he’s guarding somebody the league likes), and his closeouts are ****ing awful. If dudes closed out on him the way he closed out on them, he’s drop 40 with frequency. He would LOVE to be guarded by himself. LOVE IT. I counted five threes where he just didn’t come all the way out last night and the Sun with the ball didn’t expect him to come out. Bridges looked like a Korver that nobody was concerned with. I’ve never disliked watching DM play as much as I have this year.
    -Bogie. Ugh. So much ugh.
    -Gobert and O’Neale had great games defensively. Royce was at his best, I thought, all game and Rudy is playing the best, most consistent basketball I’ve ever seen him play, except for the free throws.
    -More Jordan Clarkson please. When the offense has stagnated and teams have decided to just not help off three-point shooters no matter what, give my man the ball. He’s going to get into the paint and get a layup. He’s the type of dude who can scheme-bust teams, get hot, and pull you out of offensive lulls.
    -Last thought: when teams aren’t helping at all from the perimeter, Mitchell has got to force his defender to foul him. He’s so shifty and quick, and instead of using those skills to create contact, he often uses it to create space that defenders can attack when he shoots, or he just gets going waaaay too fast and makes shitty decisions. The way the game is reffed, he should be getting seven free throws a night.
    Anyway, this was a repeat of the Minnesota game. Teams are forcing us to play two on two in the middle of the floor with a limited offensive finisher and guards who don’t force contact. If we can get dunks and free throws, we’ll win those games. If we don’t, we’ll lose, but we got to find a way to get the perimeter involved, and it can’t be just a second-half adjustment.

Posted by Karl Stalone 32 on Jan 1, 2021 | 1:01 AM
    Why would Quin wan to make adjustments before it's out of pure deperation? Mitchell got paid. Not surprising. Won't get the super max though!

We got intelligent coaches. I am having a hard time understanding why it takes so long to make in game adjustments. Should be possessions not quarters.
    JC only 19 minutes was poor on Qs part. There is no foul trouble for 6th men. Yeah, he may have got a little distracted with that bad break with the ref, but 2 steals, 2 offensive rebounds, we needed his energy out there more, as well as his 1 on 1 play making.

Posted by SKMike on Jan 1, 2021 | 2:04 AM
    the head coach is too smart for his own good. Big minutes for Ingles though!

https://kslsports.com/449874/jazz-lo...inst-clippers/

Mitchell led all scorers during the NBA postseason in Orlando but has been unable to recapture his efficiency or offensive prowess to open the season.

Did anyone really expect it? I doubt we'll see anything like it again

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat...derrick-favors

The addition of Derrick Favors and the Alec Burks’ free agency of Bojan Bogdanovic was supposed to patch up the weaknesses of Utah’s 2019-2020 season. Without Favors, Utah’s bench suffered and their team defense fell off a cliff when Rudy Gobert left the floor. Without Bojan Bogdanovic, Utah’s offense was Donovan Mitchell plus one of Mike Conley or Jordan Clarkson, depending on who showed out that night.

The defense sucks with Rudy on the floor. Their were a lt more losses than Favors. Crowder was probably a bigger one though it improved the spacing greatly. Without Bojan they didn't miss a beat and were better defensively

In the Bubble, Donovan Mitchell turned into D-Wade and helped Utah overcome not having Bogey out on the floor. Unfortunately, Tony Bradley stayed Tony Bradley. Rewatching last season’s playoffs seems like watching a bizarro version of Utah; it’s hard to see how this team came within a game of the second round. It is getting much easier to see how this team blew a 3-1 lead to the Denver Nuggets.

this season is showing us it wasn't Bradley's fault

Bojan Bogdanovic thus far looks not like Bojan Bogdanovic of last season. The wrist definitely is not 100% there and—even if it is—his 50-40-90 shooting appears 2-3 months away. In a condensed season, that’s the trade deadline. Bogey exploded against OKC after getting hit in the wrist, but afflicting Bogey every night with additional pain in his wrist is not a long term strategy any person with a soul wants to pursue. Right now when Bojan is on the floor, the Jazz’s offense is in the 38th percentile for points per 100 possessions and 67th percentile for points allowed per 100 possessions. It isn’t great.

wouldn't be playing if his wrist wasn't 100%. He sucked in pre season last year,

Derrick Favors is still acclimating himself to the team again. The hope for a plug and play improvement for the bench hasn’t shown results yet. Derrick Favors’ best minutes come when he takes the place of Gobert and is out on the court with 3 or more starters. Add additional bench guys and the Jazz are getting the score run up on them. Favors at least is showing some bright spots and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel for him.

a cheaper and younger option like Bradley could have allowed them to fill other holes

Joe Ingles is the only one willing to pass the rock. He’s really the only playmaker out on the floor. Unfortunately for Utah, he’s not a shotmaker anymore. He is only making 31.6% of his three point attempts. That’s if he even takes the shot. Joe Ingles is so much of a playmaker that he is giving up great shots to make a play of lesser efficiency. Ingles is making up for Utah’s selfishness by not being selfish enough.

same old Joe just a year older and worse

Utah has only come out of the gates more than 5 games over .500 once after 25 games. Most of the time, however, Utah is just an average team. Quin Snyder should be criticized for his team’s slow starts. Regardless of who is on the roster, Snyder’s teams have trouble staying consistent with the offensive system and staying disciplined on defense during the team’s first 25 games. If Utah has been consistent in anything over the past six seasons is they are consistently average through the first 25 games of any season. When Utah gets their act together to start the season, that’ll be when we know they finally have a title contender. Until that time, the dye is already cast on a 3rd-7th finish in the playoffs.

could be one Rudy injury away from missing the playoffs as we've seen before

Clarkson is a player who gets points regardless, which is why it doesn’t affect him. Conley seems like he has a high basketball IQ, and it took him a season to adjust. Some players seem to be thinking too hard.
    But, the preseason and Portland game suggest it’s not an issue. So I’m at a loss.

Posted by Bredon31 on Jan 1, 2021 | 5:37 PM
    Clarkson doesn't play in the system and neither does Mitchell too much of the time