Page 6 of 83 FirstFirst ... 34567891656 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020-21 Regular season- The tax team

“It’s been a rough 2020 for all us. Everybody in the world. Including myself,” the veteran point guard said on the first day of this new year. “I think I’m getting back to myself really.” Conley scored a game-high 33 points to go along with seven assists, two rebounds and a steal, as the Jazz notched their first home victory of the season Friday night, defeating the L.A. Clippers 106-100. “It was a fun night and a night we definitely needed,” said Conley, who hit a career-high seven 3-pointers. “I’m just happy to see this progress. Last year was a tough year. Just went through a lot personally, on and off the court.”
    – via NBA.com

their 2nd best player without much doubt

https://kslsports.com/449902/jazz-st...over-clippers/

Conley had a game-high 33 points against the Clippers including seven made threes to seal the Jazz victory. The guard’s play has been paramount so far with Donovan Mitchell struggling to shoot the ball from the field and Bojan Bogdanovic’s shot coming and going by the quarter.

when was Bojan's shot coming? He had one stretch in one game that didn't suck. He still gets his minutes though!

The Clippers tried to attack the paint against the Jazz and Favors didn’t allow them to have any more success than they would have had Rudy Gobert been on the floor.

quit saying that. It's night and day. Favors was great. He's no Rudy

Giving Favors the full Mid Level Exception was risky, especially considering the league’s move away from big rotations. But if Favors can continue to give the Jazz a similar level of play, he’ll be worth the money this season.

no he won't because they still don't have a starting 4

Ingles and Conley had a good night together for what feels like may the first time since Conley joined the team.

not true

Mitchell’s leaping ability appeared to be back as he threw down a big dunk after breaking the paint.

it left?

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/1/1/222...-kawhi-leonard

i gotta say, i was ok with tony bradley, he was super young and had some nice offensive touch

but man we lose this game by twenty at least if bradley was our backup centre

Posted by Viktor Vaughn on Jan 1, 2021 | 10:36 PM
    Depends on who gets the 30 million instead. Imagine getting a starting 4 that's playing big minutes vs a backup playing 15

Bit biased as a Heels fan

But he definitely would have benefited from another year or two in school playing against ACC schools. I only say that with the power of hindsight though, I didn’t and don’t blame him for leaving early.

Posted by WolfmanT on Jan 2, 2021 | 12:33 AM
    He would have been a senior last year. What he needed was to play and get better and he's done that before this season anyway

Prior to that time (back in the Jerry Sloan era), you could argue that it might be better for a player to stay in school and get more actual game-time experience, even against shitty college players, than sitting on the end of an NBA bench, and never getting any game-time experience.

Posted by Fesenko for President on Jan 2, 2021 | 3:51 AM
    The Jazz only had 4 coaches as well so they didn't have the staff to spend time developing guys in practice either

I was sure he was going to another NBA team for a big payday; but instead, he came back here.

Posted by Korianderr on Jan 1, 2021 | 11:32 PM
    for a big pay day. Did anyone else want to pay him that much?

-I’ve overrated Donovan Mitchell, maybe. It’s only five games, but it just doesn’t look like he’s grown that much over the last 82 games. I thought a lot of his reads in this game were particularly excellent, especially when Mike Conley relocated to the corners, but he just gets casual with the ball and is an overall bad decision maker. He’s been a turnover machine, doesn’t get to the free throw line, seems to have knowledge of only two speeds: inappropriately relaxed and barreling. Neither really work for him against lengthy defenders like PG. Plus, watching him defend hard in this game was just a reminder that his effort on that end is opponent dependent. He’s just disappointing.
    -We had around 10 turnovers at halftime and only 13 for the game.
    -Announcers who use in/auspicious should owe money to Walt Frazier and be fired.
    -QS loves doubling midrange jumpshooters to give up open threes. Why? I hate everything about it. Let Kawhi hit a fadeaway jumper over your best wing defender. If that happens, ok. But if you send help and your opponent ends up with a wide-open three, you’ve just made the opposing coach happy. I get it if it’s used as like gimmicky "let’s him them with a new defense out of a timeout" thing, but not as a fundamental of your defense.
    Anyway, good to get this win. Thank you, Mike Conley, for just being the you we knew you to be.

Posted by Karl Stalone 32 on Jan 2, 2021 | 1:50 AM
    and 5 more years of Mitchell at max after this one!

I think Donovan is in the process of having to make another adjustment to his game, so I'm going to try to be patient to see how it turns out.

It appears to me that teams are focusing on Donovan even more than ever, and he needs to learn some countermoves for what teams are throwing at him. It feels like almost every game this season thus far has been like a playoff game for Donovan, because of the focus placed upon him by Jazz opponents—structuring each team’s primary game plan on trying to take away what Donovan likes to do. If Donovan is able to adjust, he’ll be well on his way to becoming a superstar. If not, he’ll fall back into the star category, only.

Posted by Fesenko for President on Jan 2, 2021 | 4:06 AM
    he's not really a star though. Inefficient one way player

some good news for Brantley. He's been pretty much screwed after making first team all gleague. That should mean something but for some reason it doesn't with the Jazz

Paul Garcia: Derrick White is out for Sunday’s game against the Jazz (left toe sprain). LaMarcus Aldridge is questionable (left knee soreness)
    – via Twitter PaulGarciaNBA

https://kslsports.com/449972/utah-ja...e-this-season/

Favors questionable. Him and Royce both were visibly hurt in the last one

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/...his-nba-career

Through the first five games of the 2020-21 NBA season, Mike Conley has been the most consistent player for the Utah Jazz and he punctuated that level playing on Friday night by carrying the Jazz to a win over the Los Angeles Clippers.

He hasn't been as consistent as Rudy

Sometime near the end of last season things really started to click for Conley. During the 2019-20 season hiatus, he was more eager than ever to get back on the court and it showed during his play in the bubble. Gone were the days of forcing actions and overthinking plays or shot opportunities. He looked like vintage Mike Conley, playing free and easy.

He looked like that most of the year. The difference was more opportunities without Bojan just like this year with him and Mitchell sucking

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/1/2/222...ike-conley-nba

Optimism abounded among the fanbase. The team looked, on paper, to be complete. The Mike Conley and Donovan Mitchell pairing in the backcourt seemed like a perfect fit. Would this be the season that the curse was finally broken?

he's more of a shooting guard on this team. Mostly getting spot ups. Mitchell, Ingles and Clarkson are the ones with the ball more unfortunatley

There’s an important note to make here though. If you look at Conley’s 2019-20 season as a whole, you’ll certainly see a down year. The worst year of his prime. But if you look at it with some context, you’ll see that there was a turning point. After Conley fully returned from injury, no longer on minutes restriction, his play changed drastically. He seemed to figure out how to fit in next to Donovan Mitchell and the rest of his new teammates. His three point shot became his go to weapon, and it was a dangerous one. This play continued into the playoffs. Down in the Disney Bubble, Mike torched the nets. He put up nearly 20 points per game, to go along with five assists and 42.9% three point shooting. The Jazz ultimately fell short, but Jazz fans began to wonder, did they have a truly reliable point guard?
    He good except the first 5 games

https://saltcityhoops.com/early-seas...few-surprises/

All 2 positive lineups have Rudy and Conley. Keep telling us how they don't miss anything with Favors in the game though!

The first set of mirror lineups are also the two most played in the rotation. The starters are playing well in 53 minutes so far this season, with an elite-level 115.6 OffRtg and an average 107.3 DefRtg combining for a 8.3 Net Rating. That’s good, but ideally a top team would probably like to gain a little more advantage from its five best players. It also pales in comparison to its mirror lineup, i.e. the same four players, but with Bogdanovic switched out for Joe Ingles. That lineup, the Jazz’ second most used at 24 minutes in five games, scores the ball to the tune of an even better 119.2 OffRtg, but adds a super stingy defense, with a DefRtg of 96.2. End result is a 23.0 Net Rtg.

It's not their 5 best. Again Bojan is the weak link defensively even if he was hitting shots. But I thought it was all Braley's fault?

Before the Jazz faced the Clippers, the lead stat for this section was the fact that Derrick Favors was playing less than 15 minutes per game, which begs two questions: does that amount of playing time justify Favors’ signing as an effective use of the Mid-Level Exception, and will Favors be happy long term if his jersey number is greater than his minutes played?

sure if you don't have bigger problems like a starting 4. He only played 20 when he left so it's not a big change

As far as the lineups go, Favors is part of the worst of the eight most common lineups: the Mitchell-Ingles-Bogdanovic-O’Neale-Favors clunker, which posts an anemic 74.0 OffRtg, an average 107.8 DefRtg, and a catastrophic -33.8 NetRtg in 24 total minutes over 5 games, so that’s not good. That said, the next two worst ratings both include Gobert, so I tend to not blame Favors or Gobert as much as the players around them, whether that’s right or not.

Favors is part of it. There's a reason why they've never been good without Rudy

To be honest, all these three issues may be related. If the wing play improves – and that mostly means Mitchell and Bogdanovic busting their respective slumps – Snyder may feel like he can risk playing Gobert and Favors together for two to four minutes per half. Right now, with the paint clogged already, it probably isn’t something he’s interested in trying. It will be interesting to see if he eventually gets more than 15-17 minutes out of Favors.

shouldn't happen anyway but will

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/1/3/222...iew-start-time

In order to contain the Spurs’ midrange, the guards and wings will need to stay in front of their man. The Jazz sometimes rely too much on 2 x defensive player of the year, Rudy Gobert, to clean up for mistakes on the perimeter. In my opinion, Donovan Mitchell needs to step up his defensive game. It doesn’t make any sense to have him play James Harden conservative defense if he’s not able to carry the team offensively for more than a handful of minutes per game.

good luck with that!

Jazz are lucky to be sitting with a winning record at 3-2. In my opinion, they don’t quite deserve it. Despite a shortened training camp and preseason, I expected the Jazz to come out strong to start the season. They have some of the most longevity of any team in the NBA. Their biggest free agent signing was long-time Jazzman, Derrick Favors, who was only gone for year. I believed that their continuity would help elevate them above other teams early in the season.

they usually have few changes but always start slow under Snyder

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/...novan-mitchell

Let’s stay with O’Neale for a second. He had an incredible game, was great on defense and finished with an 11-point, 11-rebound double-double to go with five assists. He took four shots, all from 3-point range and all wide open, making good on three of them.
    Great all year. Doing his best impersonation of a starting 4 at 6'4

Rudy Gay likes to play against bigger players. He seemed to have an easy time scoring over Bogdanovic and getting around him, and later took advantage when Gobert switched out onto him. Earlier in the game the Jazz did a good job of denying those switches or denying the ball from going to Gay on those switches, but the Jazz got sloppy with that in the latter part of the game.
    Bojan isn't taller maybe bigger

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/1/3/222...30-109-blowout

- Nice bounce back game from Mitch. Nine assists is nice, but he really needs to stop throwing the ball away. Like Ingles, some of these turnovers just leave you scratching your head like, "how?"
    Ricky specials

- wOuLd YoU tRaDe BoGdAnOvIc FoR cRoWdEr StRaIgHt Up? FOH… #wristbracebogeybaby
    Tough one. If I thought Snyder could use him properly sure but I don't think he could

- I really like what Royce is doing lately. It’s no secret that our starting unit is short on rebounders so if he can maintain eight a night it’ll be huge for us. Also, it’s good to see him finally pulling the trigger; hopefully his knack for zero point games is a thing of past.
    - When was the last time Gobert shot under 30%? Mind you, I barely even noticed his shooting woes the way he was playing on the other end. Dude’s a beast.
    - Garbage time was meh, but I like what I’m seeing from Harrison & Dok putting Eubanks on a poster had me pulling all kinds of faces.
    Onto the next one!

Posted by uncle-ingles on Jan 3, 2021 | 10:24 PM