Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: So California has mandatory lockdowns, mask wearing, and closures

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGoat View Post
    That’s not possible with that many people. Sure it worked with Australia but they were not in the middle of its peak or have nearly close the population density. They should just open up. It is proven to be nearly impossible to catch covid while being outside in the sun (which California has a lot of)
    The sun and heat will kill a virus faster while it's on a surface, but if you're standing really close to someone that has it, heat wont make a difference.

It actually worked in a lot of places other than Australia. Cases do eventually come back tho, but when it does another hard lock down will stop it.

I always refer back to places like Hong Kong because I have relatives there. They are on a full lockdown right now with a couple hundred cases. I believe this is the 3rd lock down they has this year?

Basically once they hit around 50 daily cases they shut everything down for a couple weeks until 0 daily cases. Then everything's reopened fully. Couple months later covid comes back and they closed for 2 weeks. Back to 0 cases and they reopened for a couple months.

This sounds better to me than what we currently doing, and I'm sure businesses would prefer a couple weeks of lockdowns per year vs. 3 to 4 months of straight half ass lock downs that dont do shit.

Its ridiculous that we start lockdowns at a couple thousand daily cases a day. Just doesn't seem logical to me. But hey, me wanting to follow what Asian countries do makes me a communist right?

I also find it hilarious that it's been a full year of covid and Canada is still "discussing" if we should test people that arrive into this country from airplanes.

Makes you really wonder wtf goes on in these meetings that politicians have. "I think we should test people that come into our country" " yeah, good idea, let's think about it and discuss again next month" it's been a fking year.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Open up or do a full lockdown but only for short duration and pay ppl. Anything else is just BS

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

That’s not possible with that many people. Sure it worked with Australia but they were not in the middle of its peak or have nearly close the population density. They should just open up. It is proven to be nearly impossible to catch covid while being outside in the sun (which California has a lot of)
    Magic Scarecrows have been shown to be more successful lockdowns.

Zero deaths with Covid-19 in Cambodia so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post

South America uses military-enforced lockdowns and mandates masks. Result? #1 deaths/capita in the world.

North America and Europe use lockdowns and mask mandates too. Result? #2 and #3 deaths/capita in the world.

Cambodia is trying a much different approach: magic scarecrows. Result? Not one, not two, not three, not four... but ZERO DEATHS w/ covid!!

Quote Originally Posted by n00bie View Post
    I always refer back to places like Hong Kong because I have relatives there. They are on a full lockdown right now with a couple hundred cases. I believe this is the 3rd lock down they has this year?
    Cambodia pop: 16.25 million; 0 covid deaths/mil

Hong Kong pop: 7.45 million; 18 covid deaths/mil

Uganda pop: 42.72 million; 6 covid deaths/mil

basically Hong Kong has 300% more deaths/pop than Uganda and ∞ more deaths than Cambodia

Magic scarecrows > lockdowns

Cambodia pop: 16.25 million; 0 covid deaths/mil

Hong Kong pop: 7.45 million; 18 covid deaths/mil

Uganda pop: 42.72 million; 6 covid deaths/mil

basically Hong Kong has 300% more deaths/pop than Uganda and ∞ more deaths than Cambodia

Magic scarecrows > lockdowns

Are you trying to say Uganda and Cambodia have no covid deaths because or genetics, lack of reporting, or magic scarecrows? What do you believe?

Decent college freshman

The sun and heat will kill a virus faster while it's on a surface, but if you're standing really close to someone that has it, heat wont make a difference.

It actually worked in a lot of places other than Australia. Cases do eventually come back tho, but when it does another hard lock down will stop it.

Basically once they hit around 50 daily cases they shut everything down for a couple weeks until 0 daily cases. Then everything's reopened fully. Couple months later covid comes back and they closed for 2 weeks. Back to 0 cases and they reopened for a couple months.

This sounds better to me than what we currently doing, and I'm sure businesses would prefer a couple weeks of lockdowns per year vs. 3 to 4 months of straight half ass lock downs that dont do shit.

Its ridiculous that we start lockdowns at a couple thousand daily cases a day. Just doesn't seem logical to me. But hey, me wanting to follow what Asian countries do makes me a communist right?

I also find it hilarious that it's been a full year of covid and Canada is still "discussing" if we should test people that arrive into this country from airplanes.

Makes you really wonder wtf goes on in these meetings that politicians have. "I think we should test people that come into our country" " yeah, good idea, let's think about it and discuss again next month" it's been a fking year.
    And you believe China is correctly reporting cases? Apparently they are still at 80k since January lolol

Are you trying to say Uganda and Cambodia have no covid deaths because or genetics, lack of reporting, or magic scarecrows? What do you believe?
    I'm saying that virus outcomes are largely not controlled by gov't NPIs like 'lockdowns', masks, school closures, bans on gatherings, travel bans, etc. Basically what decades of research on pandemics said in Feb 2020. We tossed aside the encyclopedia of pandemics in March, in April we burned it, and we've been re-writing it with pseudoscience ever since.

lmao... something of a mystery

I'm saying that virus outcomes are largely not controlled by gov't NPIs like 'lockdowns', masks, school closures, bans on gatherings, travel bans, etc. Basically what decades of research on pandemics said in Feb 2020. We tossed aside the encyclopedia of pandemics in March, in April we burned it, and we've been re-writing it with pseudoscience ever since.
    But do you really believe those places with no lockdowns have no covid deaths? Sounds to me like those places arent reporting them. When it comes down to it, do you trust our govt or theirs in reporting covid #s?

And you believe China is correctly reporting cases? Apparently they are still at 80k since January lolol
    China #s are definitely shady, but then again, they find 10 cases in Beijing and locked millions of people in their homes. They also mandated testing of entire cities before reopening.

Their whole country is opened up and partying.

But do you really believe those places with no lockdowns have no covid deaths? Sounds to me like those places arent reporting them. When it comes down to it, do you trust our govt or theirs in reporting covid #s?
    While there are some counting differences, it doesn't explain the major discrepancies (one big example is all the countries in South America). Nearly all 53 countries in Africa have reported very few deaths. Same with countries in Asia. South America, OTOH, has counted more deaths/capita than North America and EU.

I think in the US and some places in Europe we count them liberally, but a) I don't believe in conspiracy that the data is faked and b) yes, some undercounting, including in South America where they still have counted more deaths/capita than US/EU. And still, we are talking very small numbers, like 0.002% of the world population, median age 80 years old, has died with this disease this year.

China #s are definitely shady, but then again, they find 10 cases in Beijing and locked millions of people in their homes. They also mandated testing of entire cities before reopening.

Their whole country is opened up and partying.
    The virus emerged last year in October. It spread around the world. China did crazy pseudoscience and fake shit starting January 23rd. Perhaps if that "lockdown" of Wuhan happened in November 2019 and the virus hadn't spread to every country in the world, maybe we could attribute it to the pseudoscience. But 50+ countries in Africa have almost no deaths, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos, all with cases found and tiny death #s (in some cases zero deaths). Virus outcomes aren't controlled by NPIs.

There was a Super Spreader Event on November 6th...

I live in California. I was just out mountain bike riding today and good lord every single person on the trail is wearing a damn mask. I mean, I know it's required, but jfc we're so obsessed with masks out here. And everything else is shutdown, so why are the cases at ATHs? (Because stay-at-home orders, mask mandates, and closures don't do shit. we've known this forever.)

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Yet they are still getting nearly 50k covid cases a day. Is it just me or are all of these measures not doing a damn thing to combat this virus?
    It's mandatory, but the police thankfully won't enforce it. The guy jogging down the street without a mask isn't out there killing my grandparents. The only thing I've noticed from this new lockdown is it has inspired the people who were already going to gather and party to do it bigger and more defiantly renting out airbnb's. The bars in the tents at least provided a limited capacity space for people to go who were already going to go out.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

What's to say the situation wouldnt be worse without the measures put in place tho?

I do agree that half ass lockdowns are dumb tho. Imo only FULL lockdowns actually work. Half ass lockdowns just prolongs the pandemic.

I'd rather do a full lockdown for 1 month and be covid free for a full year.. but of course I'd be called a communist.
    don't understand why its so hard. shut everything down 100% for a month. give everyone an actual livable stimulus and let's ride