Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: The Flu is having a horrible season so far

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    2019-2020 flu season was one of the weakest in history. 400,000 hospitalizations (compared to 810,000 for 2017-2018 flu season). This season it looks like we'll have ~0 flu hospitalizations. I'm not saying I have the answers as to why, but it's pretty weird.

Do you have evidence more people are getting flu shots this year? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just haven't even looked it up yet. Also remember that per CDC ~140 million flu vaccinations decrease overall flu deaths by ~5% and hospitalizations ~10% (as I've pointed out several times before), so I don't think we can attribute it to that.

Places with high mask compliance, such as Japan, had rough flu seasons in recent past, so I don't think there's evidence those masks did jack shit. Plus, the flu has also disappeared in countries that didn't lockdown/close schools and/or wear masks (remember: children are a major vector for influenza transmission), so we cannot point to that either.
    I don't know about the rest of the world, but in Canada we had a shortage of flu vaccines this year.

In the past, we could walk into any pharmacy for a vaccine. Now they have signs at the door saying there's a shortage and the vaccine isnt available.

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by n00bie View Post
    I'm all for conspiracy theories that make sense, but do people really think every doctor in the world can band together to form fake covid deaths and cases?

A record number of people are taking flu vaccines this year, and people arent being cooped up in offices.

Throughout my whole life, I was the most sick the year I had my 1st full-time job, working in a call center. Everyone was coughing and sneezing in that office 24/7.

I thought it was common sense that a virus spreads in a closed environment with poor ventilation. I can't believe it took a pandemic for people to understand how a virus works.
    Nobody is saying every doctor in the world banded together to form fake covid deaths and cases.

Still waiting for you to provide some evidence of an increase in flu vaccinations; ironically many in the healthcare field are actually declining the flu vaccine this year. From my experience, the main reason they got the shot previous years was so they don't have to wear a mask. Now that they're forced to wear a mask during 100% of their working hours regardless, many HCWs have declined it.

We've had roughly 140-150 million vaccinated for flu every year in the US. A minor increase (if there even is one) in flu vaccinations doesn't explain the 99% drop-off in flu cases.

This is hilariously stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post
    Also, there is zero doubt in my mind that social distancing works. I wonder how many infectious illnesses would be eliminated globally if every single living human quarantined for 2 months or something...

https://www.gq.com/story/the-last-true-hermit

This guy was a real life hermit for 30 years, with no human contact, and he reported having never gotten sick a single time during that period of time.
    what about his teeth and other stuff?