Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: If Derrick Rose retired today...HOF?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulico View Post
    Hell no.
    He had 1 great season and 1 good season.

No chips, bad advanced stats. For his career teams are 0.4 points worse when he is on the floor.

He only won 3 playoff series in his life. One against Danny Granger, one against ISO Joe and Josh Smith and one against 23 year old Khris Middleton.

If we take away MVP season from his career, he is middle-of-the-pack bench role-player.
    There are guys with much worse seasons in the HOF though. These guys never even came close to MVP let alone win one. HOF is really a crapshoot.

The basketball HOF standards are so low you it seems like any all-star caliber player is capable of being voted in. Can a guy who won MVP really be kept out while guys like Jamaal Wilkes are in the HOF?

Considering his college scandal I would hope not. It's the Basketball Hall of Fame which considers pre-NBA performance.

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    Considering his college scandal I would hope not. It's the Basketball Hall of Fame which considers pre-NBA performance.
    We're talking about D-Rose not C-Webb.

I feel like we think about the HOF the wrong way. We look at the guys who are already in and ask, *should* this guy be in, based on the other people who are in? And that's how you get these ridiculous Antawn Jamison conversations.

Here's how you make the HOF. Given the opportunity, the voters vote you in. They can vote in anyone they want. If you have 30,000 points but nobody wants to vote you in for some reason, you're not a HOFer. If you have 10,000 points but voters want to vote you in, you're in.

Do you want to vote Derrick Rose into the HOF? Does anybody?

In my view, what makes a HOFer is: you were a sufficiently big part of the story of basketball that the HOF would seem incomplete without you. This is not the case with Rose. A guy who's not in yet who ought to be based on this criterion would be Webber.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
    I feel like we think about the HOF the wrong way. We look at the guys who are already in and ask, *should* this guy be in, based on the other people who are in? And that's how you get these ridiculous Antawn Jamison conversations.

Here's how you make the HOF. Given the opportunity, the voters vote you in. They can vote in anyone they want. If you have 30,000 points but nobody wants to vote you in for some reason, you're not a HOFer. If you have 10,000 points but voters want to vote you in, you're in.

Do you want to vote Derrick Rose into the HOF? Does anybody?

In my view, what makes a HOFer is: you were a sufficiently big part of the story of basketball that the HOF would seem incomplete without you. This is not the case with Rose. A guy who's not in yet who ought to be based on this criterion would be Webber.
    How can you not have an MVP in the Hall tho. Matters what else he did or didn't do in the league. MVP means you're the best (I know I know, but just go with it) for that one NBA season. He's also the youngest MVP. So no, you can't tell the story of the NBA without the youngest MVP. This isn't Devon Harris we're talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton View Post

In my view, what makes a HOFer is: you were a sufficiently big part of the story of basketball that the HOF would seem incomplete without you.
    And Rose who is a global icon and one of the most respected players in the league is not a sufficiently big part? The man was quite literally a phenomenon in his early days, nobody played like him before that. reminds me when the Brazilian Ronaldo appeared in Barcelona in the 90s football. And similar to him Rose somehow remained a spectacular player even after he was physically diminished. If this is not it, I don;t know what is.

Decent playground baller

Yup

but EVERYONE gets in....

I dont think he should be. He’s only had a handful of relevent seasons. He hardly played at capacity in most seasons.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    The basketball HOF standards are so low you it seems like any all-star caliber player is capable of being voted in. Can a guy who won MVP really be kept out while guys like Jamaal Wilkes are in the HOF?
    You complain that 4 time NBA champion, 2 time NCAA champion Jamaal Wilkes is in the HOF.

Now imagine if Rose gets in, how low the standart for HOF would be.

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    B-Ref has him at 11.9% odds. I think he might not.

It's shame considering what a talent the guy was. Westbrook-like athleticism and style but a lot smarter with the ball. Had essentially a career-ending injury at age 23 and that was it. It sucks... He is Chicago too so to say Bulls fans loved him was an understatement.
    B-ref % for who makes the HOF is flawed. Even with football.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    We're talking about D-Rose not C-Webb.
    C-Webb had someone take his college admission test too? I never read that story, just the one about being compensated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gudo View Post
    I dont think he should be. He’s only had a handful of relevent seasons. He hardly played at capacity in most seasons.
    Are people like forgetting he has a MVP award under his belt?

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    C-Webb had someone take his college admission test too? I never read that story, just the one about being compensated.
    I was joking. Rose is a HoF'er tho.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    Are people like forgetting he has a MVP award under his belt?
    This. MVP, rookie of the year and was already an all-star by his second season. I don't know whether he will get in or not, but people basically sum up his legacy by mentioning just the MVP, which is not fair.