Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Kobe Stan

Default Re: When does KD surpass Bird?

Anyone gonna respond to these numbers?

Playoff Career (primes only):
    Bird: 150 games, 24.5/10/6.5/2/1, 21.8 PER, 55.5 TS%, 7.3 BPM, .181 WS/48
    KD: 133 games, 29.3/7.7/4.1/1/1, 24.8 PER, 60.1 TS%, 7.2 BPM, .204 WS/28

If Durant has another dominant finals run, idk how anyone can act like they aren't on the same "tier" of player.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLurk View Post

If Durant has another dominant finals run, idk how anyone can act like they aren't on the same "tier" of player.
    He may be in the same tier, but they're on opposite ends of it.

Kobe Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    That may be a fair point, I admitted in the OP that Bird's legacy is better and Durant has played on some ultra stacked teams...BUT to be fair to Durant, he has been the best player on these ultra stacked teams especially in the finals. I mean, we have to take that into account right? How many players in history would be the best player on those Warriors, Thunder, and this Nets team?

I mean, this guy has held his own in multiple finals against Lebron James himself, his direct counterpart.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    Bird destroyed Jordan, Magic, Erving, Olajuwon and Isiah; Durant would've signed with them.

As of now, Bird still has the edge GOAT wise. BUT to say KD will NEVER pass Bird GOAT wise is a mistake. Because GOAT status is your career resume. It's NOT peak-prime status. Even though peak-prime status is a factor in that. Both are among the top 10 shooter-scorers of all time. By that I mean 50-40-90 sharpshooters who ALSO are alpha dog scorers in general.

But Bird is arguably the best passing AND rebounding SF of all time on top of that. So I'm not gonna argue with anybody who has Bird over KD peak-prime wise. BUT when it comes to GOAT status, we gotta see how KD's career plays out. I have him the #3 GOAT SF behind Bron and Bird. I think KD has done enough to pass Doc by on the GOAT charts. BUT if Doc's ABA shit is counted, then that would be a different story.

Kobe Stan

Quote Originally Posted by bizil View Post
    As of now, Bird still has the edge GOAT wise. BUT to say KD will NEVER pass Bird GOAT wise is a mistake. Because GOAT status is your career resume. It's NOT peak-prime status. Even though peak-prime status is a factor in that. Both are among the top 10 shooter-scorers of all time. By that I mean 50-40-90 sharpshooters who ALSO are alpha dog scorers in general.

But Bird is arguably the best passing AND rebounding SF of all time on top of that. So I'm not gonna argue with anybody who has Bird over KD peak-prime wise. BUT when it comes to GOAT status, we gotta see how KD's career plays out. I have him the #3 GOAT SF behind Bron and Bird. I think KD has done enough to pass Doc by on the GOAT charts. BUT if Doc's ABA shit is counted, then that would be a different story.
    Let's say Durant wins another chip/Finals MVP this year, and he wins against Lebron/Lakers or Kawhi/Clippers and either equalizes or outplays Lebron/Kawhi...I mean I would definitely put him over Bird.

This dude has literally been a walking 32/8/5, 65 TS% in his healthy finals appearances so far and was on his way to another win in 2019 as the best player in the league before getting hurt.

Idk, but when will Lebron surpass Bird tho??

Quote Originally Posted by Real14 View Post
    Idk, but when will Lebron surpass Bird tho??
    2013. 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    2013. 8 years ago.
    so 2 asterisk rings are better than 3 rings?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    2013. 8 years ago.
    In short, after the benefit of the collusion. Bird hit the ground running, while Lebron needed to take out competition by teaming up with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Airupthere View Post
    In short, after the benefit of the collusion. Bird hit the ground running, while Lebron needed to take out competition by teaming up with them.
    facts

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLurk View Post

Durant's era is way easier to put up big numbers in. Look at what other stars are putting up in recent years.

The current era has a lot of guys putting up legendary numbers. Giannis is putting up prime Shaq numbers. Westbrook is putting up prime Big O numbers. Harden is putting up prime Kobe numbers. Even dudes like Donovan Mitchell and Jamal Murray looked unstoppable last playoffs. That needs to be put into context.

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Durant's era is way easier to put up big numbers in. Look at what other stars are putting up in recent years.

The current era has a lot of guys putting up legendary numbers. Giannis is putting up prime Shaq numbers. Westbrook is putting up prime Big O numbers. Harden is putting up prime Kobe numbers. Even dudes like Donovan Mitchell and Jamal Murray looked unstoppable last playoffs. That needs to be put into context.
    Yes, while shaq is being bitter about current centers nowadays.

I'll repeat it again, without the Warriors years nobody on earth would ever consider this a legitimate comparison. Just because he jumped ship to a 73 win team and won titles under legitimately the easiest circumstances a star player ever has doesn't mean he's suddenly as good as Larry Bird. If he manages to have a sustained run of success with the Nets, maybe we can start to rethink the comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Airupthere View Post
    Bird was gifted an all time great team his rookie year.

LeBron winning all the rings in the 80s with Bird's team.