Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default I'm sorry but KG can't **** with Dirk Nowitzki.

KG is a great defender, good scorer, had range, great athlete, but Dirk was a far superior offensive player, more clutch and has greater intangibles. One on one, Dirk is killing KG 9/10 times.

Default Re: I'm sorry but KG can't **** with Dirk Nowitzki.

Quote Originally Posted by lilteapot View Post
    KG is a great defender, good scorer, had range, great athlete, but Dirk was a far superior offensive player, more clutch and has greater intangibles. One on one, Dirk is killing KG 9/10 times.
    KG is a much better all around player though. He's the more complete player. Depends on what you want I suppose. I prefer KG because I want his defense and passing ability too.

National High School Star

Charles Barkley > than both of them.

But yep Dirk trumps KG. KG is more of a Pippen type player. Elite 2nd option, but not going to be the first option on a championship calibre team. KG never scored more than 35 points in a playoff game. Not once.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

It is an interesting comparison. Kg was a transcendent defensive player and Dirk was a transcendent offensive player. Both players are better at the other sides of the ball than they usually get credit for. Both have a ring they finally got later in their careers. KG’s prime got wasted a bit in Minnesota but he was still able to be a great player. KG probably should have gotten the FMVP for their title. KG used to get rated extremely high on other sites because of his advanced on and off numbers based stats. He has some of the best impact stats ever recorded according to some metrics. KG’s prime would have been more appreciated if he didn’t play in Minnesota. KG brings true 1-5 defense, elite perimeter defense, rim protection, and rebounding. Very high basketball iq. Prime KG has no weaknesses besides not being an ideal first option scoring. Every other box that you want from a power forward he checks. Dirk brings his unique versatility offensively by his spacing of the floor and shot creation out of the PF position to the likes we have never seen before. Dirk also was a solid rebounder and an underrated defender for many years. Overall they are both close but I would give KG the slight edge. When adding up both sides of the ball I believe he had a small amount of more impact.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    It is an interesting comparison. Kg was a transcendent defensive player and Dirk was a transcendent offensive player. Both players are better at the other sides of the ball than they usually get credit for. Both have a ring they finally got later in their careers. KG’s prime got wasted a bit in Minnesota but he was still able to be a great player. KG probably should have gotten the FMVP for their title. KG used to get rated extremely high on other sites because of his advanced on and off numbers based stats. He has some of the best impact stats ever recorded according to some metrics. KG’s prime would have been more appreciated if he didn’t play in Minnesota. KG brings true 1-5 defense, elite perimeter defense, rim protection, and rebounding. Very high basketball iq. Prime KG has no weaknesses besides not being an ideal first option scoring. Every other box that you want from a power forward he checks. Dirk brings his unique versatility offensively by his spacing of the floor and shot creation out of the PF position to the likes we have never seen before. Dirk also was a solid rebounder and an underrated defender for many years. Overall they are both close but I would give KG the slight edge. When adding up both sides of the ball I believe he had a small amount of more impact.
    Good to know that both stalwarts can play good defense, unlike stephen curry.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

'04 KG was a different animal. I do agree that Dirk's unreal shooting, scoring, general orchestrating, and clutch ability are better than Garnett's... but the thing is Garnett is a GOAT defender. Like top 5 all time. And he was still very good offensively, so nah... can't agree with what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieSteve View Post
    Charles Barkley > than both of them.

But yep Dirk trumps KG. KG is more of a Pippen type player. Elite 2nd option, but not going to be the first option on a championship calibre team. KG never scored more than 35 points in a playoff game. Not once.
    No one ever said scoring wins championships.

Kevin Garnett's career Playoff Defensive Rating is ninety-freaking-nine. 99! That's fantastic.

And check out KG's accolades versus Dirk's:

Garnett is the better basketball player overall.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Overall they are both close but I would give KG the slight edge.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...garneke01.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com...nowitdi01.html

Yea, hard for me to admit, but slight edge to KG.

I guess it depends on which era you're playing in.

Old School - KG

Today's Game - Dirk

National High School Star tanibanana's Avatar

Their head to head match-up and playoff series pefectly sums it up.

KG being a significantly better defender puts him ahead.

Bullshit accolades like All star MVP and TRB leader do not count.

This is a lot closer than it looks because most of KG's accolades came when he colluded whereas Dirk did it on a single team and as the clear cut man... not to mention his championship as an underdog.

The answer is it depends on what else you have. If you have an all time team, KG makes a ton more sense as he is perhaps the most malleable player ever. Hes a legit all time defender and can adjust to whichever form of defense you need. KG is also obviously a very useful offensive player. The advantage for dirk is that he is an actual go to scorer that an all time offense can be built around. KG wasnt. So if you are starting from scratch dirk is the better player to build around. If you are picking an all time team, KG is much more likely to be on it, as any all time team is obviously already going to have go to scoring.

Banned

KG should be ranked above Dirk, Malone and Barkley. He has the best all-round career accomplishments. Too bad he didn't win Finals MVP in 2008. That was practically a co-co-FMVP between him, Pierce and Allen.

I've had this discussion many times with DMAVS and other. KG was a comfortably better basketball player in my eyes. Dirk is a scoring machine but a big man that doesn't defend the paint well is a problem. If you don't put an elite defensive big along Dirk like Chandler his team simply won't win. Dirk has that glaring weakness that KG doesn't and it doesn't make up for Dirk being a better iso scorer. KG isn't just a good defender either. He can be argued as the modern defensive GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas View Post
    I guess it depends on which era you're playing in.

Old School - KG

Today's Game - Dirk

Old School - Tie

Today's Game - KG

A guy that can defend like KG is more valuable now than ever. His ability to pass and hit open jumpers is also more valuable today than ever. Whereas his lack of strength and size isn't much of a factor.

One is a guy I want out there if I need a stop to save a win.

The other is the guy I want taking the last shot.