Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Why did Liberals hate on those California bakers?

Liberals hated on and tried to shut down that bakery that refused to bake a cake for a Gay wedding, and refused to acknowledge that it was a private business and they could refuse to bake this cake.

Fast forward to 2021, and Liberals are now defending social media networks like Twitter and Facebook and their right to censor or ban people under the false guise of removing hate speech and misinformation.

So why the change in tune? Why the double standard? Can a Liberal explain why you went against this private business's right to refuse service, but then support another private business's right to refuse service?

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Default Re: Why did Liberals hate on those California bakers?

OP's 8,562nd thread about liberals

Kenny is catching up to you though, watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Liberals hated on and tried to shut down that bakery that refused to bake a cake for a Gay wedding, and refused to acknowledge that it was a private business and they could refuse to bake this cake.

Fast forward to 2021, and Liberals are now defending social media networks like Twitter and Facebook and their right to censor or ban people under the false guise of removing hate speech and misinformation.

So why the change in tune? Why the double standard? Can a Liberal explain why you went against this private business's right to refuse service, but then support another private business's right to refuse service?

very simple... most liberals have a master's degree in hypocrisy.

throw a dart at any subject, and there is usually some form of liberal hypocrisy surrounding it.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post
    OP's 8,562nd thread about liberals

Kenny is catching up to you though, watch out!
    This is the Political Forum, numbnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas View Post
    very simple... most liberals have a master's degree in hypocrisy.

throw a dart at any subject, and there is usually some form of liberal hypocrisy surrounding it.
    These Masters degrees are pretty powerful actually. They can get you into any government position, including the Presidency, and they can get you into the media in any capacity as well.

Hmmm, career change perhaps??

Local High School Star KennyPowers's Avatar

I would have agreed to make their cake.

I am of the opinion that a business should be allowed to deny service to anyone (in both those cases) and antitrust laws should be such that it shouldn't be a burden on the customer to seek alternatives. You can debate the ethics all you want but what matters is the law. The cake case is a grey area because depending on the state and the kind of discrimination it is, you can invoke discrimination laws. Whereas Trump being kicked off of media platforms on the other hand is much less of a grey area, if at all. Legally, that is.

Most liberals I encounter are largely apolitical which correlates with being ignorant about law. But when you categorize everyone into a few groups it's easy to call everyone a hypocrite.

To be fair conservatives feel the opposite: they think the bakers should be able to deny service and a lot of conservatives don't agree with social media's massive censorship or right-wing media and information.

As a libertarian I believe the baker shouldn't be forced to make anyone a cake and the companies should be able to do what they want. It's lobbying and crony corporatism that is the problem. Big government and regulation **** us over because it interferes with the free market. It creates artificial protections from the risks of business decisions, as seen for example with bailouts our government has done.

It's all an excuse to raise our taxes and skim through shoddy, inefficient spending bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post

Sexual Orientation is a protected class in California. Unfortunately for MAGAts, traitorous rednecks aren't.

The cake case took place in Colorado, where it is illegal to discriminate based on sexuality. Had the baker simply said "No, I don't want to bake because I have too many other orders", he would have been perfectly within his rights to refuse the order. Instead, he used their sexuality as the reason for refusing to do so. His state prohibits discrimination based on sexuality, and discrimination is exactly what he did.

Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act, which prohibits businesses open to the public from discriminating against their customers on the basis of race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. Colorado is one of twenty-one U.S. states that include sexual orientation as a protected class in their anti-discrimination laws.
    Unless if California's law also prohibits businesses from discrimination on basis of politics or provoking his supporters to overthrow the US government, you have no case or argument because you are comparing apples to oranges.

If the law said that social media platform cannot discriminate against people based on politics, then Trump getting kicked off could be taken to court. Unfortunately it doesn't say so in the state of California, which is where these social media platforms are headquartered.

Gotta love how its supposedly not a violation of free speech or civil rights for massive corporations like google/facebook/chase/mastercard/paypal when they deplatform or deny service over politics, because after all these are private companies and not the government... meanwhile these same private companies own all the politicians thanks to their lobbyist armies and have ex-employees staffing all the regulatory agencies.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

You would have the beginnings of a point if conservatives were banned. But 100 million of you aren’t. If a company said “No Republicans” you could lump it in with no gays, or whites, or Jews....Muslims...black...whatever. These companies are serving dozens of millions of conservatives every day which makes it hard to call political discrimination. Long as millions of conservatives are on these sites complaining about not being allowed on these sites the argument is self defeating.

How would it look to complain that a restaurant won’t serve black people when I’m speaking from my table with my mouth full of food they just happily served me?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    If a company said “No Republicans” you could lump it in with no gays, or whites, or Jews....Muslims...black...whatever.
    Wrong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_group

U.S. federal law protects individuals from discrimination or harassment based on the following nine protected classes: sex, race, age, disability, color, creed, national origin, religion, or genetic information (added in 2008)... legally speaking, political beliefs are not protected in any way

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I’m talking morally. Just right and wrong. If a store banned conservatives I’d personally have a problem with it.

sure you were... not doubt you made that clear in your original post