NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default They need to put an age limit on congress

Nancy Pelosi is 80 years old and she's basically the most powerful person in the house...does nobody else find that disturbing? That an 80 year old woman who maybe has 10 years left is making life and economic decisions for us? Whether you are a democrat or republican you should find this kind of shit unsettling...that policies are being set by people that won't even be around to even see them through. How can you really care about something if it's not even going to matter to you in your life time? They need to put an age cap on congress at about 72. There is no reason so many old fossils with no future should be deciding policy for us.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 01-22-2021 at 01:38 AM.

Default Re: They need to put an age limit on congress

Been thinking about age and politics myself recently.

Seems old people tend to dominate the top of the hierarchy because theyve had the longest amount of time to learn how to do it effectively. There’s no substitute for experience.

I think about the things Ive learned and realized about life and society just being in my 30s. Imagine what Ill understand by the time I’m 80 (if I make it that long). A lot of these old people know the game and how to play it better than anyone. The face they put on for the simple public belies some deep understanding of life’s complicated shit. At least for some of them. Im sure some are just well connected bird brains. But in general, old people operate the machine bc they know how it works.

Theyre the ones tomorrow’s leaders have to learn from. If you throw out all the old people and try to start fresh with a bunch of 40-somethings in charge, a lot of mistakes probably end up getting made. Perhaps more than we might assume.

Anyway we always see the grass as greener on the other side. If we would just try doing things some other way, itll solve all the problems. But frankly, nothing solves all the problems. Smoothing over one bump often causes another bump to appear elsewhere. So I dunno.

I guess my point is...

Life’s A Bitch N Then Ya Die!
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 01-22-2021 at 02:10 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Been thinking about age and politics myself recently.

Seems old people tend to dominate the top of the hierarchy because theyve had the longest amount of time to learn how to do it effectively. There’s no substitute for experience.

I think about the things Ive learned and realized about life and society just being in my 30s. Imagine what Ill understand by the time I’m 80 (if I make it that long). A lot of these old people know the game and how to play it better than anyone. The face they put on for the simple public belies some deep understanding of life’s complicated shit. At least for some of them. Im sure some are just well connected bird brains. But in general, old people operate the machine bc they know how it works.

Theyre the ones tomorrow’s leaders have to learn from. If you throw out all the old people and try to start fresh with a bunch of 40-somethings in charge, a lot of mistakes probably end up getting made. Perhaps more than we might assume.

Anyway we always see the grass as greener on the other side. If we would just try doing things some other way, itll solve all the problems. But frankly, nothing solves all the problems. Smoothing over one bump often causes another bump to appear elsewhere. So I dunno.

I guess my point is...

Life’s A Bitch N Then Ya Die!
    Yeah, but does someone at 80 year care about the things someone who is half that age? Of course not. That's just simple life. That's my point. An 80 year old woman should not hold so much power over our lives...lives she won't even be apart of in 10 years if she's lucky. You shouldn't be making policy over other people when you are basically on your last legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117 View Post
    Yeah, but does someone at 80 year care about the things someone who is half that age? Of course not. That's just simple life. That's my point. An 80 year old woman should not hold so much power over our lives...lives she won't even be apart of in 10 years if she's lucky. You shouldn't be making policy over other people when you are basically on your last legs.
    I agree, but then I dont think anyone should have as much power over our lives as the federal government does, irrespective of age, nor Im sure do you.

But obviously there’s an army of betas out there who feel differently, and they have the numbers to give nearly limitless power to a random collection of public stewards, and thats what theyve done. At this point I dont think the age of these people much matters. The amount of power they have is going to produce dubious consequences regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117 View Post
    As long as she has her wits about her there's no issue. The problem isn't the age. The problem is once they get in there you can't get em out. They form their alliances, get lazy, and then know their seat is safe.