Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: How much Protein do you need (get) a day ?

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Don't do any cardio. Just lift weights. Great plan from genius ZenMaster once again.

Absolutely clueless.

You already know what to do.
    I said instead of mainly doing cardio you dumbass, everyone should do both.

In March 2017, Harvard Health Publishing released data on dozens of common activities and their calories burned within 30 minutes for people of varying weights. Here are some of the best in no particular order:

Running on the treadmill
    Stationary biking
    Swimming
    Circuit training
    Vigorous weight lifting
    VIGOROUS WEIGHT LIFTING

If you hit the weights, you probably burn 90–133 calories in each 30-minute floor session. But remember: The more muscle you build, the more energy your body burns at rest. That’s why lifting weights to build lean muscle should be at the top of your to-do list, regardless of your physique goals.
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/how-ma...sique%20goals.

Do yourself a favor Manny and go through these two, simply put you should aim to be lean and strong instead of lean and weak:

Last edited by ZenMaster; 01-26-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
    What's the thought process behind this? I feel as if it doesn't make sense to start off with the risk of overeating, you can both count and focus on eating various proteins at the same time.

I don't think you can be 6"0, weigh 150 and have hardly any muscle, you'll be pretty close to underweight.
    With these goals, I don't think you need to think about protein much, just eat lean meat as it suits you.
    But for the weight loss, I definitely think you'll have to count your calories, at least if you want to go that low.

I'd strongly advise to lift weights instead of mainly doing cardio though, you'll still burn calories towards your weight loss but also grow some muscle in the process.

I'm just a tiny bit taller than you, but my preferred weight is like 180. At 150 you'll be a twig, no?
    Probably I am focusing on pure fat loss right now then I will bulk up

I think I have a naturally larger frame than most so even at 180 I appear larger

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Definitely get two major portions of protein a day. In the evenings, make sure the protein is as lean as possible. To drop weight you have to manage carbs well. Get a moderate amount of carbs in early in the day and just restrict yourself to meat and veggies in the evening. No carbs after 3PM. Also, watch the fats after 3pm....not saying zero but definitely restricted.

I am currently 6ft 165llbs. Down from 180 2 weeks ago. I eat 2 meals a day. I hold off as long as I can in the morning before I eat my carb/protein meal.

If you are still going to go with one meal a day, just have some lean meat in the evening by itself. Or a protein shake without carbs.
    Yh I'd probably need to transition back to 2 meals to get enough protein and nutrients

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    You are right about 150. I am 6ft and at the moment 165 and the top part of my six-pack is starting to come out. I think 160 is going to be quite ripped for me and I have a small frame. Maybe I'll have to get down to 155. But if the OP has an average frame and some level of muscle built up. He certainly won't need to get down below 165.
    Sounds like you're doing good bro, much respect, especially here through lockdowns

Here's something else I can recommend Manny, to start building strength. It's easy, effective and can be done from home away from the gym - but you can only do one body exercise this way.
    When whatever number you do starts to feel real easy, you just add a rep to your set.
    E.g push-ups or pull-ups during the day in this pattern:

This concept is from Pavel Tsatsouline’s method of training. He coined the phrase “Greasing the Groove” to describe how strength practice (not working out) improves the muscle mind connection. The idea is that strength is a skill and the more you practice the better (stronger) you will get.

His training method involves practicing a movement that you want to improve multiple times a day. This practice will reinforce the neurological grooves and make the movement easier to perform. The key is multiple sets spread throughout the day.

The goal is practicing the movement, not exercising the muscle. So sets are kept in the 40%-50% of your max. You should never feel fatigued or sore because that is an indicator that you are overworking.

You can watch the video below for a deeper explanation of “Greasing the Groove”.

I have a note next to my pc, it says ":20 and :50". It means that if I'm doing anything in front of my pc and it's not too late in the day, I do a set of pushups 10 minutes to and 20 minutes past every hour - or close to that anyways.
    There's a simple app called "push up counter" as well, makes it easy to track the progression over time.
    Last edited by ZenMaster; 01-26-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post

I think I have a naturally larger frame than most so even at 180 I appear larger

Then you should really really really disregard the advice here of not counting calories. Fat loss will come mainly through eating less calories than you need and 30 minutes on the treadmill can be negated by eating or drinking just a bit too much.

Take one of them online calculators that also factors in your physical activity and figure out roughly how many calories you need to maintain your weight.
    Do one month at like 15-20% caloric deficit every day.
    Calculate again, based on your new weight(obviously very important), roughly how many calories you need to maintain.
    Do one month eating 100% of the calories you need to maintain weight.
    Then another month of 15-20% caloric deficit daily.
    Repeat the process from there until you are at your desired weight.

This way, your metabolism doesn't break down and you will keep losing weight.
    If you just do a straight even daily caloric deficit over multiple months, your body will get used to getting less calories than you need to maintain weight and it will adjust - meaning that after a few months you'll find weight loss very hard, because your body has set itself in survival mode.

Sounds like you're doing good bro, much respect, especially here through lockdowns
    Well I figured that because all the gyms are closed here, the weather sucks, can't do much of anything else, might as well get shredded. Much better than waiting until April to realize I am fat as hell and need to cut weight just to walk around comfortably without a shirt. That's what usually happens.

I guess i can understand now why girls aren't physically attracted to you

I am currently 6"0 190 pounds and I am trying to get down to 150

I am mostly trying to lose body fat. and right now I mostly do cardio workouts

I do one meal a day and consume roughly 70g on average I don't know if that's too little

By no means take this as personal advice or anything, but I'm just about to enter my 30's, have been training for more than 12 years now, and have achieved goals in terms of strength, fitness and weight throughout this time. I'm similar in height and weight to what you are now as well, at 6'3 and 210lbs, and have been anywhere from 190-245 in the last 5 years.

I'm not exactly sure as to what your composition is like, but if you want to lose weight, I'm assuming you're carrying a bit of fat? At 6 foot, you don't want to be 150lbs regardless of your frame in my opinion at least. Not sure as to what your routine with weights has been like, but adding weight in the form of muscle definitely won't hurt. 190lbs with a lot more muscle on you can look a lot slimmer than 190lbs at your current weight. As a guy, even if you carry fat in the worst areas possible, being anywhere from 11-18% is ideal. Anything less than that is excessive, and you wouldn't want to stay under that for too long due to hormones, etc.

In regards to the protein question, this is something I thought was a must need in my late teens and early 20's. To the point where I was having 300+ g of protein a day when I was weighing 225lbs+. Absolutely not the case. I don't track macros at all at this point, and don't really care how much I consume on a day to day basis. The great thing about protein is, it keeps you fuller for longer. If you find yourself snacking, feeling hungry often, eating more carbs, etc... You could probably eat some more protein in that particular case.

Listening to your body is probably the best thing you can do. Never take a rigid approach. If you start training a particular way and feel great, stick to it for 4 weeks. If you start eating more protein and you find yourself feeling fuller and snack less, stick to it for 4 weeks. The body takes a while to get used to things.

Then you should really really really disregard the advice here of not counting calories. Fat loss will come mainly through eating less calories than you need and 30 minutes on the treadmill can be negated by eating or drinking just a bit too much.
    Losing weight and fat loss aren't the same here. Which is why calories burned>calories consumed=less weight=great, isn't necessarily correct.

If OP is feeling too big at 190lbs and 6 feet, I think it would potentially benefit to add more resistance training into the mix. Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, but is more dense, and hence he would look slimmer as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking View Post
    Losing weight and fat loss aren't the same here. Which is why calories burned>calories consumed=less weight=great, isn't necessarily correct.

If OP is feeling too big at 190lbs and 6 feet, I think it would potentially benefit to add more resistance training into the mix. Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, but is more dense, and hence he would look slimmer as a result.
    You're right, but it sounds like OP has his mind made up on losing the weight first before hitting the weights. I was trying to help with that process even though I don't agree with it, because it's better than doing neither.
    Maybe he's not comfortable going to the gym while being overweight, just a thought, as that's a pretty common and understandable hump that many people can't get past.

It's tough to judge it all without pictures, personally I can't go under 180 without being told by friends that something "looks weird" and that it suits me better with a few more pounds, even if it isn't muscle. It's because I got a big head with pretty thick hair as well, so can't have too slim of a face.

Good on you op....you might be a bron stan but I respect dudes getting into fitness, I'm happy for you.

Give it a few months, eat well, train well, sleep well and you'll never look back.
    Stay consistent.

I try get around 160g protein a day....
    My fitness pal is a great app to log food and see your macros...even if you just use it at the start to learn and get an idea of what works for you.
    Calories obviously extremely important if you want to lose weight.

Someone posted it here already too but that Jeremy dude is great on YouTube...and I also rate Jeff athlenex

Lastly, they're not for everyone, but consider a fitness watch...I love collecting data and using it for running, weights, walks and cardio sessions.
    Extra bit of motivation for me...personally I like Garmin watches
    Last edited by Spurs m8; 01-27-2021 at 02:53 AM.

Local High School Star KennyPowers's Avatar

You need to eat 3 times a day. A grilled chicken breast is around 100 calories and 10 fat calories, so you can actually eat quite a lot of chicken in a day. If you have a Foreman grill, all that you need is some Lowry's seasoning.

Skinless chicken breasts are probably the most food you can eat while keeping the calories low and getting a lot of protein, and feeling like you actually ate a meal.

Dont starve yourself. Also eat eggs.

You need to keep your metabolism going.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I guess i can understand now why girls aren't physically attracted to you
    No I am considered fairly attractive and get hit on by girls fairly often but I am basically in a skinny fat phase right now

I used to be obese (240 at my heaviest) so I have lost a decent amount of weight so far

I look in decent shape on the outside but when I take my shirt off I still have a visible amount of fat on my body

Thx for the advice guys, I appreciate yall

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
    You need to eat 3 times a day. A grilled chicken breast is around 100 calories and 10 fat calories, so you can actually eat quite a lot of chicken in a day. If you have a Foreman grill, all that you need is some Lowry's seasoning.

Skinless chicken breasts are probably the most food you can eat while keeping the calories low and getting a lot of protein, and feeling like you actually ate a meal.

Dont starve yourself. Also eat eggs.

You need to keep your metabolism going.
    Fasting is extremely beneficial to the body, and allows for healing. I naturally eat in an 8 hour window everyday, but as far as protein goes I try for 90 grams a day which is a little less than half my body weight. I don't lift so anymore I feel like would just be a waste.