Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    ~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Default Re: So Biden is trying to get the 15 dollar federal minimum wage passed w/ Covid stim

Jesus Christ with an AK47...I understand that YOU are talking about state laws...what I am saying (me not you) is that I dont think Musk would flee to one of the bluest cities in the country if he was trying to evade blue policies...even if they are not there currently, he would fear it would go back to that.

You guys like to use Musk as your Anti-Left Mascot...like he road off to Texas in his MAGA hat and Cowboy boots...but that's not really what happened here

Default Re: So Biden is trying to get the 15 dollar federal minimum wage passed w/ Covid stim

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post
    Jesus Christ with an AK47...I understand that YOU are talking about state laws...what I am saying (me not you) is that I dont think Musk would flee to one of the bluest cities in the country if he was trying to evade blue policies...even if they are not there currently, he would fear it would go back to that.

You guys like to use Musk as your Anti-Left Mascot...like he road off to Texas in his MAGA hat and Cowboy boots...but that's not really what happened here

Of course it is, he and all the ultra-rich Hollywood stars are fleeing CA like the plague for RED states. As I posted before, Sylvester Stallone listed his home two days ago and is moving to Florida.

Democrats in the California state legislature this week proposed a tax hike on the state’s highest earners to help pay for schools and services hurt by the pandemic.

The proposal would raise taxes on California millionaires, and result in a top tax rate of nearly 54% for federal and state taxes for the highest earners.
    The plan follows proposals in New York state to raise taxes on the wealthy to pay for a widening budget deficit.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/30/tax-...-tax-rate.html

Even amongst the non-rich, thousands are moving out of Blue states see my previous post.

BTW it's not an AK47

So it's a gradual increase from $7 to $15 over a 5 year span

not bad IMO...heard immunity should be achieved before it hits $11 giving small biz time to regroup

Time for those on the fence purchasing a home to get onboard. I doubt it'll pass though, I can't imagine every democrat will be on board with the timing of things.

We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    Time for those on the fence purchasing a home to get onboard. I doubt it'll pass though, I can't imagine every democrat will be on board with the timing of things.

We'll see.
    If it does pass... the unemployment rate will go up. I won't say it will skyrocket, but it will definitely go up.

People in that twitter link saying it should be $25.00... my God.

hopefully there will be plenty of Corporate and Government jobs available, because small businesses won't be providing much.

yeah IDK...hard thing to calculate TBH...don't think anyone here could do the math on the effectiveness of this...there are definitely plus and minuses...not a black and white issue

I can see that Walmart and Target both start at $12/hr...so that right there is a shit ton of employees that will now suddenly get $15

Grocery store chains like Kroger and Tom Thumb can start at $10/hr...so huge boost to all those workers as well

Amazon on the other hand already had a min wage $15/hr...so this effects them none
    so we're just gonna use billion dollar companies to gauge this?

how about you start your own lawn service, get enough lawns to the point where you gotta hire another person and then judge it? Because that's how the real world works. You would have to compete with other bill and joe's out there that are willing to do the lawn dirt cheap ( think $25 a cut ) under cutting any profit you may obtain. So now you gotta hire some dumb dumb off the street who probably ain't even worth $10 an hour at 15, and still make a profit.

I have a friend who owns a landscaping service, none of the people there are worth $14 an hour imo let alone 15. Half of them are drug addicts with baby momma issues that prevent them from getting to work a lot of the time. On top of that if you keep an eye on these guys you'll find they're on their phone a quarter of the day not giving a flying fck about the actual yard work. I've thought about this many times and it's laughable that if I were to ever have my own small business, that if it ever got big enough I'd have to pay these morons $15 an hour. That guy is barely making a profit, and now he's gotta add an additional $5 an hour to EVERY worker.

Democrats don't understand math I guess

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    increase prices to the end customer? find a way to reduce labor through more efficient practices? create a virtual presence? market to a more premium demographic? even if this minimum wage doesn't go through, a lot of those mom and pop shops have been dying or have already closed up bc they couldn't compete even with current minimum wages, and it wasn't because of the federal min wages. that's an entirely different discussion however. point is, they were already on that trajectory, covid just accelerated that.

there's local restaurant chains that charge a premium, about twice what a national fast food franchise would charge and they seem to be doing pretty well.
    you must think customers are all rich or something I don't get it personally. Yah your reduced labor is called machines and mcdonalds is ahead of the game on it, companies are definitely finding ways and NONE OF IT benefits the average joe smith ( cutting hours, self service checkouts etc. ).

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    How the hell is a gut opinion unbias? Like what does that even mean? What pluses are you referring to as 800 small businesses close their doors permanently each day?

Source: https://www.king5.com/article/news/v...b-c02b420505f2

Lol i'm kinda speechless without trying to be rude... yeh we'll just order the companies to pay more money they don't have to workers who are already broke, while adding on the costs to customers that can't afford it.

what in the fck am I reading. It's like adding a 30-40% tax out of nowhere to most mom and pop places when you order them to pay their workers more without giving them anything to pay them with.. does that make sense? Why don't we just increase your electric bill by 30% and pass on the costs to the uh... customer.
    Last edited by paksat; 01-26-2021 at 06:24 PM.

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201603/...usinesses.html

Beware the Consequences of a $15 Minimum WageThose who say raising the minimum wage will have no effect on employment are dreaming.

As most of you probably know, I operate a chain of fast-casual restaurants in New York City called Kobeyaki, which feature Japanese "rolls, bowls, burgers & buns." We employ 45 people in three locations and more than 80 percent of them are hourly--which puts me right smack in the middle of the current debate over the minimum wage.

That debate is raging in New York, where the governor has publicly committed to raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour as soon as he can. (It's currently $9 per hour in New York; the federal minimum is $7.25.) I understand the emotional appeal of such a move, and, like most entrepreneurs, I have no problem paying employees as much as the business can afford. My partners feel the same way. But if $15 per hour becomes our entry-level wage, there will be consequences. We will have to make significant changes to our operations to stay in business. Jobs will be lost.

The reason is simple math. Our restaurants will no longer be viable if labor costs rise above 35 percent of revenue. And no, we can't just jack up prices and pass the additional cost along to customers. There are real limits to what people will pay. We can charge only so much for a shrimp tempura roll or a Kobe beef burger before our customers will start looking at other dining options.

Right now, labor costs in each of our restaurants average about 26 percent of revenue. We're paying the minimum wage for entry-level jobs, such as busboy and dishwasher. Other hourly people get more than that, but none as much as $15 per hour. If the minimum rises, not only will we have to pay more to entry-level people, but everyone above them will have to get a raise as well. You can't pay someone who does food preparation what you pay someone who buses the tables and sweeps the floors.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to be able to pay entry-level people $15 per hour and raise everyone else's wages as well. It's just not feasible. Before the government forces us to do it--as seems likely--we have to take steps to protect both the business and as many jobs as possible.

The first options are to automate and outsource, and we're preparing to do both. Much of the ordering is already automated. We have employees taking and inputting orders right now because human contact is important to building customer relationships. But we'll have to cut back on the number of people doing that job. Customers will have to input their own orders either online or at a console in the restaurant. Nor will we be able to have as many people preparing the food. We prefer to do that ourselves, but we can outsource the work. That will eliminate more jobs and allow us to reduce our labor costs.

I realize that these types of changes will have some negative consequences, both for businesses like mine and for society as a whole. Entry-level, minimum-wage jobs are the first rung on the ladder you have to climb to have a career. In all the businesses I've run, we've recruited people for better-paying, higher-level positions from the entry-level pool. A $15-per-hour wage will put some people on more solid economic ground but at the same time make it harder for thousands of others to find work and get started on a career.

Kobeyaki is not an isolated example. Every business with minimum-wage employees faces the same pressures that we do and will be forced to respond. Those who say raising the minimum wage will have no effect on employment are dreaming.
    from 2016...

basically it's common sense.

The 5-year plan to gradually implement this will probably barely cover all the inflation that's about to hit from all the covid stimulus.

Biden's 4 year term will be over before it even hits $15

it just seems kind of drastic to go to $15 nationwide by 2025.... but all things considered, it may not destroy us.

I just see unemployment and higher costs as a result... and like the article above stated, everybody will demanding a raise.

If you are currently making $17.00 an hour your argument becomes: "I'm only worth $2.00 more than the bare minimum? I deserve more too"

So, we should be seeing a completely different economy by the end 2024.... $10 bread and $10 milk. $hit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas View Post
    it just seems kind of drastic to go to $15 nationwide by 2025.... but all things considered, it may not destroy us.

I just see unemployment and higher costs as a result... and like the article above stated, everybody will demanding a raise.

If you are currently making $17.00 an hour your argument becomes: "I'm only worth $2.00 more than the bare minimum? I deserve more too"

So, we should be seeing a completely different economy by the end 2024.... $10 bread and $10 milk. $hit like that.
    Here's the deal though...we ARE all underpaid. Generally speaking, the country as a whole is underpaid. The middle class in Australia is 2x as wealthy as the middle class here in the US.

Odds are if you are someone who is making $60k a year, you probably should be making $90k a year.

Large corporations have gradually become efficient to the point we are all crippled. Meanwhile the 1% is hording retarded amounts of wealth. Their wealth has sky rocketed, our salaries remain the same.

And we are supposed to allow this because we are scared of mom and pop shops closing?...or because we are scared rich people will pick and move to China?....fck that shit, life is too short, time for us to take what's ours.

Local High School Star

Here's the deal though...we ARE all underpaid. Generally speaking, the country as a whole is underpaid. The middle class in Australia is 2x as wealthy as the middle class here in the US.

Odds are if you are someone who is making $60k a year, you probably should be making $90k a year.

Large corporations have gradually become efficient to the point we are all crippled. Meanwhile the 1% is hording retarded amounts of wealth. Their wealth has sky rocketed, our salaries remain the same.

And we are supposed to allow this because we are scared of mom and pop shops closing?...or because we are scared rich people will pick and move to China?....fck that shit, life is too short, time for us to take what's ours.
    I try to be kind but this is a dumb post. You might be smart but don't understand Australia or economics.

No comparison. You are digging your own grave. Good luck.

Which group of people own mom and pop shops? Low middle high or 1% level income groups?

Democrats just want to continue to slaughter the middle class.

Yeah who cares if the midde class doesnt exist anymore, atleast the low income group has healthcare that is paid for once they meet their 5,000 out of pocket deductible.