Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Default 2020 rookie class - potential to be among best ever?

Been talking about this to a couple friends of mine, but figured I'd see the legends at ISH's thoughts and opinions.

It's only been ~20 games into the season, but this rookie class is projecting to be amazing. Edwards, Wiseman, LaMelo all look like easy future All-Stars, the way they're paying at just 19 y/o. Haliburton, Quickly, Patrick Williams, and Cole Anthony all look really good, possible future All-Stars depending how their paths play out. Okoro and Avdija have started every game. Precious, Vassell, Maxey, Maledon, and Bane look like legit players who'll have long careers, possibly even turning into more than just rotation players.

Anyone other rookies sticking out? How are the Detroit trio projecting (I know Bey and Stewart look solid, Hayes been hurt, etc)? Toppin has had some highlights.

I can't remember a recent rookie class getting so many mins and looking so good. I find it a bit funny since there was no March Madness, no combine, etc. What are your guys' thoughts?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020 rookie class - potential to be among best ever?

Edwards and Lamelo look good. Wiseman didn't look like anything too special.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Wiseman didn't look like anything too special.
    Not sure what games or how many you've seen of him. But dude is great in the post, can nail 3's, runs the court, and is among the best interior defenders in the league (not counting his proneness to fouling). He's already a Top 15 C in the league and he's just 19.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 02-07-2021 at 05:52 PM.

National High School Star

Edwards and Lamelo look good. Wiseman didn't look like anything too special.
    ... Wiseman has so much potential that if Klay didn't get injured it would be unfair.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Not sure what games or how many you've seen of him. But dude is great in the post, can nail 3's, runs the court, and is among the best interior defenders in the league (not counting his proneness to fouling). He's already a Top 15 C in the league and he's just 19.
    the #1 pick is top 15 as a rookie

Good High School Starter

Will there be multiple HOFers as in the 1984 and 1996 drafts, then? If you consider the best ever the last ten years, then maybe yes.

3-time NBA All-Star

Been talking about this to a couple friends of mine, but figured I'd see the legends at ISH's thoughts and opinions.

It's only been ~20 games into the season, but this rookie class is projecting to be amazing. Edwards, Wiseman, LaMelo all look like easy future All-Stars, the way they're paying at just 19 y/o. Haliburton, Quickly, Patrick Williams, and Cole Anthony all look really good, possible future All-Stars depending how their paths play out. Okoro and Avdija have started every game. Precious, Vassell, Maxey, Maledon, and Bane look like legit players who'll have long careers, possibly even turning into more than just rotation players.

Anyone other rookies sticking out? How are the Detroit trio projecting (I know Bey and Stewart look solid, Hayes been hurt, etc)? Toppin has had some highlights.

I can't remember a recent rookie class getting so many mins and looking so good. I find it a bit funny since there was no March Madness, no combine, etc. What are your guys' thoughts?
    Bruh come on. It's not even the best in the last 2 years. Last years was better

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    Bruh come on. It's not even the best in the last 2 years. Last years was better
    2018 was great, no doubt. Trae and Luka could be all-timers, future HoFers. And 2019 has a lot of good players contributing, that is also true. But I still think 2020 has more potential quality players, balancing out top-heavy all-NBA type players and just good quality depth. And that's what this is about, even in the title - potential! We have to remember, it's just been ~20 games and these rookies had no real training camp, and a bunch are already making big differences and contributions, playing tons of mins, showing flashes, etc.

I'm really big on Wiseman and Ball both being Top 20 players soon, akin to Trae and Luka. I can't say that for Ja and Zion, though. In fact, I think Wiseman and Ball can be Top 10 players once they hit their mid-20s. I still don't think I can say that for Ja and Zion.

In fact, I think 2020 has more potential Top 100 or even Top 50 quality players than 2018, just based on the short sample size so far. To me, The top 3 picks in 2020 are all future Top 20 players, easy (again, even Top 10 for Wiseman and Ball in 5+ years). But Haliburton and Cole Anthony look to be possible future Top 50. Patrick Williams, Quickly, Bane, maybe others look to be easy future Top 100. And that's the other thing too. W/ a shortened college season, no full training camp, etc, you still have plenty of rookies getting mins, despite not making big contributions. Imagine once they're in their 2nd season and get a full training camp? I expect them to be better than the average rookie who went through the usual training and play time path.

Again, I say this happens all in about 5-8 years. The only real recent draft to have that sort of depth of Top 100 players seems to be the 2016 draft (Simmons, Ingram, Jaylen, Murray, Sabonis, LeVert, Siakam, Dejounte). But I think Wiseman and Ball project higher than anyone from that draft. So it's a nice projection of balance of top-heavy greats and solid depth for 2020.

If that was the case then he would be playing more then 21 mpg on a team that essentially has no other center on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn View Post
    If that was the case then he would be playing more then 21 mpg on a team that essentially has no other center on the roster.
    and he got benched in favor of Looney

Next year's draft is supposed to be even better.

Local High School Star

Not sure I'm ready to agree that 2020 is a great rookie class, but I will concede that thus far it has, as a group, exceeded its (albeit low) expectations.

3-time NBA All-Star

2018 was great, no doubt. Trae and Luka could be all-timers, future HoFers. And 2019 has a lot of good players contributing, that is also true. But I still think 2020 has more potential quality players, balancing out top-heavy all-NBA type players and just good quality depth. And that's what this is about, even in the title - potential! We have to remember, it's just been ~20 games and these rookies had no real training camp, and a bunch are already making big differences and contributions, playing tons of mins, showing flashes, etc.

I'm really big on Wiseman and Ball both being Top 20 players soon, akin to Trae and Luka. I can't say that for Ja and Zion, though. In fact, I think Wiseman and Ball can be Top 10 players once they hit their mid-20s. I still don't think I can say that for Ja and Zion.

In fact, I think 2020 has more potential Top 100 or even Top 50 quality players than 2018, just based on the short sample size so far. To me, The top 3 picks in 2020 are all future Top 20 players, easy (again, even Top 10 for Wiseman and Ball in 5+ years). But Haliburton and Cole Anthony look to be possible future Top 50. Patrick Williams, Quickly, Bane, maybe others look to be easy future Top 100. And that's the other thing too. W/ a shortened college season, no full training camp, etc, you still have plenty of rookies getting mins, despite not making big contributions. Imagine once they're in their 2nd season and get a full training camp? I expect them to be better than the average rookie who went through the usual training and play time path.

Again, I say this happens all in about 5-8 years. The only real recent draft to have that sort of depth of Top 100 players seems to be the 2016 draft (Simmons, Ingram, Jaylen, Murray, Sabonis, LeVert, Siakam, Dejounte). But I think Wiseman and Ball project higher than anyone from that draft. So it's a nice projection of balance of top-heavy greats and solid depth for 2020.
    I don't know. I like Wiseman and ball too. I also think edwards will be nice. Just needs to work on decision making.

Last year was loaded though. Ja and zion are the obvious stand outs but there's so many other solid players that could
    be future stars. Alot of experts think the 2020 crop is one of the weakest ever. I don't believe that but i don't think they're gonna be one of the best ever either

Saw a basketball once

What happened to that Blazers fan that said Lamelo was not an NBA player? He stopped spamming that stuff. I wonder why lol.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn View Post
    and he got benched in favor of Looney
    Again, not sure what you've all seen, but it's b/c of his foul trouble. He's averaging 3+ fouls in just 21mpg. And the Warriors are a veteran team w/ champions who are still in their relative prime and are completing for a playoff spot. They can afford to not force minutes on a rookie.

And...he's a 19 y/o center. Of course he's still raw. KAT and Ayton were both a year older, played more mins, and had less fouls as rookies compared to Wiseman, so they played more and got the stats to reflect it. But once Wiseman understands how to stay in the game and refines his body a bit, he'll be like a more athletic KAT/Embiid. I think he projects to be better than those guys.

My biggest concern is that he won't be the #1 or even #2 guy on a team for at least another 3-4 years, possibly longer, depending how the Warriors design their system around the aging Splash Bros. So that may stunt his domination.

Also, see Lamelo's game tonight? Stats only Steph and JKidd have put up.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    Last year was loaded though. Ja and zion are the obvious stand outs but there's so many other solid players that could
    be future stars. Alot of experts think the 2020 crop is one of the weakest ever. I don't believe that but i don't think they're gonna be one of the best ever either
    Honestly, after re-looking at the 2019 draft last night, it is pretty damn deep, you're right. But I still think that the upside of Wiseman and Ball is higher than Zion and Ja.

Don't get me wrong, I think Zion and Ja are both great RIGHT NOW. But I think LaMelo > Ja, in terms of potential, and Zion...I dunno. Zion puts up #'s, even record #'s for his age, games played, etc. But every time I watch a Pels games (2 this season) or Pels highlights, it always seems like it's Ingram who's the real man. Zion just sorta picks up the junk and stuffs the stat sheet that way. But maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 02-08-2021 at 10:36 PM.