Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good college starter

Default NBA Players Are Scoring More Points Than Ever. Reason is Right in Front of Our Eyes

Default Re: NBA Players Are Scoring More Points Than Ever. Reason is Right in Front of Our Ey

idk man. Some dude used to average 50 points per game.

Default Re: NBA Players Are Scoring More Points Than Ever. Reason is Right in Front of Our Ey

I’ll take the players on the left over the right, jus sayin. The ones on the left are legends

Decent college freshman

Players are more skilled nowadays and the pace has increased.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Woke View Post
    Players are more skilled nowadays and the pace has increased.

Players aren't more skilled - that's the biggest myth in the history of sports and only people with a very shallow understanding believe this (most people)

Yes, players can handle and shoot threes better - but that's it - they're worse at everything else, such as contested shot-making, 2-point shot-making, and passing (passing with no spacing is harder than passing in today's spaced-out, beginner format)

Pure scoring ability is shit today compared to previous eras where the lack of spacing required contested shot-making as a standard.. Previous eras were accustomed to playing games of 21 with 20 guys playing on 1 rim - this format develops superior shot-making and basketball instinct than today's beginner format

If we took the 80's format and gave it spacing and removed all ability to play physical defense, the scoring would be through the roof and higher than today.. Similarly, if we took away today's spacing and added physicality, the scoring would drop like a rock

Finally, here's an illustration of how dumb people are about this.. About 5 years ago (before the increase in scoring), everyone was saying that defenses were better than prior eras (floods, shading, etc) - now that these spacing-induced schemes have been shredded, the narrative has shifted to "oh, today's players are more skilled".. So it's bullshit

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    Players aren't more skilled - that's the biggest myth in the history of sports and only people with a very shallow understanding believe this (most people)

Yes, players can handle and shoot threes better - but that's it - they're worse at everything else, such as contested shot-making, 2-point shot-making, and passing (passing with no spacing is harder than passing in today's spaced-out, beginner format)

Pure scoring ability is shit today compared to previous eras where the lack of spacing required contested shot-making as a standard.. Previous eras were accustomed to playing games of 21 with 20 guys playing on 1 rim - this format develops superior shot-making and basketball instinct than today's beginner format

If we took the 80's format and gave it spacing and removed all ability to play physical defense, the scoring would be through the roof and higher than today.. Similarly, if we took away today's spacing and added physicality, the scoring would drop like a rock

Finally, here's an illustration of how dumb people are about this.. About 5 years ago (before the increase in scoring), everyone was saying that defenses were better than prior eras (floods, shading, etc) - now that these spacing-induced schemes have been shredded, the narrative has shifted to "oh, today's players are more skilled".. So it's bullshit

I disagree...somewhat.

Stars you can see are generational tho. Like even now, nobody can pass like Magic. No one has the footwork of Mchale and Hakeem. And no one has the best combination of athletic ability and skillset like MJ.

But the average player? It has gotten better. The shooting, the athleticism, the ball handling. They have less ways to attack tho due to how the game is played, but it's all about 3pt shot and driving to to the basket. To do that, you need handles, quickness, and a good shot.

Like the vid do say, if you given the green light to some of the players in the past, you'll see their numbers likely go up too.

This has been a trickle down effect.

MJ influence guards to improve their iso game. Shaq caused the league to stop big men affect on defense, ppl who could've played center went to the pf spot and iso game. After low scoring in the mid 00s, the league wanted more scoring and took out physical defense. Mike D'Antoni influence pace with his Suns. Warriors and Steph influence 3pt shot.
    Last edited by Micku; 02-26-2021 at 01:20 PM.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Micku View Post
    I disagree...somewhat.

Stars you can see are generational tho. Like even now, nobody can pass like Magic. No one has the footwork of Mchale and Hakeem. And no one has the best combination of athletic ability and skillset like MJ.

But the average player? It has gotten better. The shooting, the athleticism, the ball handling. They have less ways to attack tho due to how the game is played, but it's all about 3pt shot and driving to to the basket. To do that, you need handles, quickness, and a good shot.

Like the vid do say, if you given the green light to some of the players in the past, you'll see their numbers likely go up too.

MJ influence guards to improve their iso game. Shaq caused the league to stop big men affect on defense and iso game. After low scoring in the mid 00s, the league wanted more scoring and took out physical defense. Mike D'Antoni influence pace with his Suns. Warriors influence 3pt shot.
    Would you conclude that the average player getting much better has made things easier for generational talents?

Quote Originally Posted by Micku View Post
    I disagree...somewhat.

MJ influence guards to improve their iso game. Shaq caused the league to stop big men affect on defense, ppl who could've played center went to the pf spot and iso game. After low scoring in the mid 00s, the league wanted more scoring and took out physical defense. Mike D'Antoni influence pace with his Suns. Warriors and Steph influence 3pt shot.

According to ESPN, nearly half of Giannis' drives had no help defender.

They credit this to the great 3-point shooting of his teammates that prevent help defenders from coming off shooters to help

So how can Giannis be considered good when his drives are wide open?.. how can anyone be considered good if their drives are wide open? How is that more skilled?

We saw how Giannis played when teams make a concerted effort to clog the paint - he turns into a garbage, helpless player

Similar to most of today's players, he has no pure scoring ability

Decent college freshman

You are delusional and full of shit.

The average NBA player today is more skilled than the average NBA player in the 90s.

Players today are more skilled shotmakers, more athletic, better shooters, etc. The modern era is also tougher and players have to be more versatile on defense.

The NBA of the 80s/90s/early 2000s was not as enjoyable to me. Watching a bunch of dudes shoot midrange shots and post up incessantly is not my idea of a good time.

It's great that the modern era is more exciting.

Of course they are...there's no defense now

The average NBA player today is more skilled than the average NBA player in the 90s.

Players today are more skilled shotmakers, more athletic, better shooters, etc. The modern era is also tougher and players have to be more versatile on defense.

The NBA of the 80s/90s/early 2000s was not as enjoyable to me. Watching a bunch of dudes shoot midrange shots and post up incessantly is not my idea of a good time.

Today's players shoot threes and layups - the easiest shots possible - they infact suck at basketball

More pace and space makes anyone look athletic.. but they aren't

and all the euros make it even worse.. a lower proportion of black americans in today's game (so it's more soft and less athletic)

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

I know this is for 3ball, but I guess era is more subjective.

He's right and like everybody has been saying that this era sucks with defense. But part of the reason why is that pace and space is so good nowadays and the league gutted defense.

But when it comes to era, the late 80s-early 90s and the mid to late 00s were the best for me. Although I do have a soft spot for the early 00s, but 02-04 were a pain in the ass to watch sometimes. The late 90s was a pain too, but they have one of my favorite teams, so go figure.

The reason why it was so exciting to me is because teams had different styles that fitted their players. Often times, it was like the West coast has that fast pace style and the East coast was more slow and grind it out basketball. There were exceptions. Nowadays, most teams wanna go small and copy the Warriors, but it leads to frustrating moments to me when they either don't maximize the talent that they have or they force players to fit their analytics than to fit their play style.

I don't hate this era tho. But it is wild that teams would leave the paint open as often as they do. But that's the benefit of having a good shooter. But with teams playing small ball like this, I wonder when will the next big come and impact the NBA again? Because this small ball stuff should be really punishable with the right talent.

Decent college freshman 2much_knowledge's Avatar

Rules changes, subtle rule changes over the years. To benefit the offense, allowing players to put up more sexy numbers to make them more marketable and fool the casual fans that the starts today are 100 times better cause of the numbers. I don't fall for that

Decent college freshman

Today's players shoot threes and layups - the easiest shots possible - they infact suck at basketball

More pace and space makes anyone look athletic.. but they aren't

and all the euros make it even worse.. a lower proportion of black americans in today's game (so it's more soft and less athletic)
    You are wrong boyo.

Modern NBA players are flat out better players than NBA players of previous eras.

The modern NBA is tougher.

Any player who averages below 20ppg is bad, according to 1-9ball.