Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213
Results 181 to 185 of 185
  1. #181
    Alpha Tarheel rufuspaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    23,953

    Default Re: Texas and Mississippi tell Democrat p*ssies to go f*ck themselves

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    Well I like that you are playing around with theories, but...BBC article is junk with one post hoc fallacy after another

    Anyways, it's not a "random photo";

    A photo, capturing an instant in time is the Definition of random dumbass. Did you even read the article? It sites actual studies and data from actual scientists. But hey why should I listen to them when I've got you, a punkass douchebag on a basketball forum? Why don't you post some more graphs so you and Nanners have something to jerk off to.
    Last edited by rufuspaul; 03-13-2021 at 10:17 AM.

  2. #182
    GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,462

    Default Re: Texas and Mississippi tell Democrat p*ssies to go f*ck themselves

    Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul View Post
    A photo, capturing an instant in time is the Definition of random dumbass. Did you even read the article? It sites actual studies and data from actual scientists. But hey why should I listen to them when I've got you, a punkass douchebag on a basketball forum? Why don't you post some more graphs so you and Nanners have something to jerk off to.
    It's not "random" though; it's literally in the middle of a "pandemic" where "social distancing" and "masks" are supposedly incredibly important. Let me ask you: do you think the 50+ countries in Africa with almost no deaths w/ COVID practiced diligent social distancing? Do you think they wore masks better than the US? Do you think their results are largely due to NPIs such as proper face mask use, hand washing, social distancing, and superior health care systems?

    Those "studies" are only retrospective cherry-picked post hoc fallacies. They found places that did x and assumed x was responsible for y. Once upon a time you could read these types of studies and could analyze them; what happened?

    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-84092-1

    Stay-at-home policy is a case of exception fallacy: an internet-based ecological study

    "Using 87 different regions of the world we found no evidence that the number of deaths/million is reduced by staying at home."
    Look at the countries top 20 in covid-19 deaths/capita... all locked down and masked up.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-inhabitants/


    And... it's been a year; try taking a position on the issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    1) I asked what you think the gov't should have done in April. It's really the heart of the entire issue. You didn't answer, so we really don't even know what your position is.

    2) I never said wearing a mask takes away your freedom. Though, if the gov't forces someone to wear a mask, then some of freedom is taken from them... because the gov't is forcing them to do something against their (free) will. Not complicated. But hey, if you wanna weigh pros vs cons (and even ignore the debate on freedom), then for 250+ million Americans to wear masks all the damn time (which we have for almost a year now), how many infections has it prevented, who's lives have been saved, and how much has it cost? You can give your best estimate.

    I'll even provide you with the data we know so far to help your estimate:

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev0q9fPVkAAXp7n.jpg

    3) Long non sequitur there... anyways, I'll repeat: Surgical masks haven't been worn 'forever' for preventing the asymptomatic transmission of respiratory viruses. LMK if you agree/disagree.

  3. #183
    Alpha Tarheel rufuspaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    23,953

    Default Re: Texas and Mississippi tell Democrat p*ssies to go f*ck themselves

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    It's not "random" though; it's literally in the middle of a "pandemic" where "social distancing" and "masks" are supposedly incredibly important.
    Do you wear a mask outside? I don't. I try to avoid packed crowds but the evidence is that the virus spreads much more easily inside.

    Anyway you're still wrong on why death rates have been lower in Africa.

    After testing more than 3000 blood donors, Uyoga and colleagues estimated in a preprint last month that one in 20 Kenyans aged 15 to 64—or 1.6 million people—has antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, an indication of past infection. That would put Kenya on a par with Spain in mid-MayOther antibody studies have yielded similarly surprising findings. From a survey of 500 asymptomatic health care workers in Blantyre, Malawi, immunologist Kondwani Jambo of the Malawi–Liverpool Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Programme and colleagues concluded that up to 12.3% of them had been exposed to the coronavirus.


    So what explains the huge gap between antibody data and the official toll? Part of the reason may be that Africa misses many more cases than other parts of the world because it tests far less. Kenya tests about one in every 10,000 inhabitants daily for active SARS-CoV-2 infections, one-tenth of the rate in Spain or Canada. Nigeria tests one out of every 50,000 people per day. Even many people who die from COVID-19 may not get a proper diagnosis.


    Marina Pollán of the Carlos III Health Institute in Madrid, who led Spain's antibody survey, says Africa's youthfulness may protect it. Spain's median age is 45; in Kenya and Malawi, it's 20 and 18, respectively. Young people around the world are far less likely to get severely ill or die from the virus. And the population in Kenya's cities, where the pandemic first took hold, skews even younger than the country as a whole, says Thumbi Mwangi, an epidemiologist at the University of Nairobi.
    Africans have had more exposure to other coronaviruses that cause little more than colds in humans, which may provide some defense against COVID-19. Another possibility is that regular exposure to malaria or other infectious diseases could prime the immune system to fight new pathogens, including SARS-CoV-2, Boum adds. Barasa, on the other hand, suspects genetic factors protect the Kenyan population from severe disease.
    All is not rosy though:


    At least 40 countries have now seen a second wave of the pandemic, including all countries in the southern Africa region, says the Africa Centres for Disease Control
    (CDC).





    But there was a 40% increase in the number of deaths reported in January across the continenet compared with the previous month, according to the WHO, with total deaths on the continent now approaching 100,000.


    Thirty-two countries reported an increase in deaths over the period, while for 21 countries, the rate fell or remained the same.


    In Nigeria, scientists have also identified a new variant of the virus, although they say there is currently no evidence to indicate it is contributing to increased transmission.


    However, cases in Nigeria have been on the rise since early December, and are only just starting to trend downwards.

    But why listen to scientists and epidemiologists. It's all media hype right?

  4. #184
    GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,462

    Default Re: Texas and Mississippi tell Democrat p*ssies to go f*ck themselves

    Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul View Post
    Do you wear a mask outside? I don't. I try to avoid packed crowds but the evidence is that the virus spreads much more easily inside.

    Anyway you're still wrong on why death rates have been lower in Africa.



    All is not rosy though:





    But why listen to scientists and epidemiologists. It's all media hype right?
    -I don't wear a mask outside. Let me ask you: do you think the 50+ countries in Africa with almost no deaths w/ COVID practiced diligent social distancing? Do you think they wore masks better than the US? Do you think their results are largely due to NPIs such as proper face mask use, hand washing, social distancing, and superior health care systems?

    Judging by your quoted article, it seems you don't. Your article hits on age, which I think has some effect, but it still doesn't explain deaths in people 60+ per capita compared to other countries. There's also this tidbit, which sounds very plausible (and a better explanation for their results than your first BBC article citing hand washing, social distancing, and superior healthcare systems).

    Africans have had more exposure to other coronaviruses that cause little more than colds in humans, which may provide some defense against COVID-19. Another possibility is that regular exposure to malaria or other infectious diseases could prime the immune system to fight new pathogens, including SARS-CoV-2, Boum adds. Barasa, on the other hand, suspects genetic factors protect the Kenyan population from severe disease.
    -And their "second wave" came, true, as seasonality does play a major role in virus outcomes. In fact, your entire post actually supports my argument - that virus outcomes in Africa and the US (and few exceptions elsewhere) are largely due to factors outside of business restrictions/closures, mask mandates, school closures, and travel bans.

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwO1585X...jpg&name=large
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwOKqyFW...pg&name=medium


    -Not sure what your last point is. The Covid death total in Africa went from submicroscopic to microscopic, as seen on the graph I've posted multiple times.

    Are you referring to the all the doomsday television Experts who all claimed FL would have hospitals completely overrun this past winter after reopening in September 2020? Or the ones predicting 10,000 hospital beds taken by Covid-19 pts in South Dakota (max was 600)? Or the predictions off by 300x in CA, FL, etc in April 2020?

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwT_BwoWgAEQdvc.jpg
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Evqt8snU...pg&name=medium



    And... it's been a year; try taking a position on the issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    1) I asked what you think the gov't should have done in April. It's really the heart of the entire issue. You didn't answer, so we really don't even know what your position is.

    2) I never said wearing a mask takes away your freedom. Though, if the gov't forces someone to wear a mask, then some of freedom is taken from them... because the gov't is forcing them to do something against their (free) will. Not complicated. But hey, if you wanna weigh pros vs cons (and even ignore the debate on freedom), then for 250+ million Americans to wear masks all the damn time (which we have for almost a year now), how many infections has it prevented, who's lives have been saved, and how much has it cost? You can give your best estimate.

    I'll even provide you with the data we know so far to help your estimate:

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev0q9fPVkAAXp7n.jpg

    3) Long non sequitur there... anyways, I'll repeat: Surgical masks haven't been worn 'forever' for preventing the asymptomatic transmission of respiratory viruses. LMK if you agree/disagree.

  5. #185
    Knicks all da way imdaman99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    27,441

    Default Re: Texas and Mississippi tell Democrat p*ssies to go f*ck themselves

    I've got no relatives in Mississippissippisippi (yeah try spelling that right) but plenty in Texas. Unfortunately we've already lost a few uncles so they know better than to act a fool. Their lives are not stopping, yeah they might not be partying but I'm sure for the greater good they can be careful for a few more months. You don't have to mask up, but stay the f away from me or any of my loved ones. Good day, everyone

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •