Decent college freshman 2much_knowledge's Avatar

Default Is tennis the only sport ever to have the goat race unfolding before our own eyes?

Can't think of any other

Nadal at 20 slams
    Fed at 20
    Novak at 18

I think the best thing that could happen is that Novak gets to 20 before Rafa and that gives Fed the fuel to keep going and see who retires on top.

Default Re: Is tennis the only sport ever to have the goat race unfolding before our own eyes

Default Re: Is tennis the only sport ever to have the goat race unfolding before our own eyes

There is no GOAT race. The Big 3 will always be inseparable no matter how many slams each wins. There will never be anywhere close to a consensus on who the GOAT is in men's tennis. For me personally I think Nadal is the worst of the three because his dominance disproportionately relies on one surface (clay) which comprises only 25% of the tour. Fed and Novak are already neck and neck at this point.

I dont know shit about tennis, but imo Novaccine is the GOAT for having the balls to publicly express his (unpopular) principles, and for having something resembling a backbone.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

What about Pete Sampras?

It's still fcking crazy how Sampras retired as the all time leader in '02 and got surpassed by THREE other players in less than 20 years Not only that, they completely lapped him

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Federer is running on fumes and isn’t winning anymore GS titles. He needs to retire already.

My dad really only plays golf and tennis, so i'll meet up at the local HS court and play some with him. But I couldn't even tell you who's doing what in professional tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    There is no GOAT race. The Big 3 will always be inseparable no matter how many slams each wins. There will never be anywhere close to a consensus on who the GOAT is in men's tennis. For me personally I think Nadal is the worst of the three because his dominance disproportionately relies on one surface (clay) which comprises only 25% of the tour. Fed and Novak are already neck and neck at this point.

Thats what GOAT race means, clown.

And show some respect to Tilden Pancho Budge Laver Rosewall Borg.

9 guys with GOAT argument.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    It's still fcking crazy how Sampras retired as the all time leader in '02 and got surpassed by THREE other players in less than 20 years Not only that, they completely lapped him
    Yea but Pete actually trailed Rosewall by 9 slams

Decent college freshman 2much_knowledge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    What about Pete Sampras?
    I respect him. But he was less versatile ( Serve and volley) and he suckd at clay

Quote Originally Posted by 2much_knowledge View Post
    I respect him. But he was less versatile ( Serve and volley) and he suckd at clay
    Sampras has absolutely no argument for GOAT. Besides the fact he trails the 3 of them by a handful of slams, he never won the French and his competition was significantly weaker. What's insane is these 3 have won this many while having to compete against each other for 10-15 years

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Sampras has absolutely no argument for GOAT. Besides the fact he trails the 3 of them by a handful of slams, he never won the French and his competition was significantly weaker. What's insane is these 3 have won this many while having to compete against each other for 10-15 years
    Federer won at least half of his GS Titles vs weak competition.

Nadal seems to have an edge H2H since his record in Grand Slam vs

Federer: 10 - 4
    Djokovic: 9 - 6

But not sure if this is an acceptable way to rank tennis players.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    Thats what GOAT race means, clown.

And show some respect to Tilden Pancho Budge Laver Rosewall Borg.

9 guys with GOAT argument.
    I simply said that it's not really a race because nobody will WIN it at the end. The GOAT debate between the Big 3 will rage on and I don't think the final slam count will be much of a factor.

And yes there are other GOAT candidates. When did I ever say that the Big 3 are the only GOAT candidates?

Learn to read...