Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dak is Back

Default Re: Dak is Back

The deal was for $175 for 5 years. Dak said no deal. ($35 per year)

We end up getting him for $160 over 4 years... ($40 per year) + the $31 million he was franchised for in 2020.

$191 over 5 years is what Dak will make out with compared to the $175 mil that was offered.

Dak did about $15 - $16 million better than the original offer... Idk if his contract being spread out over 6 years is that much of a benefit to Jerry, or if that was structured in the original deal, but it should help us maneuver around the cap a little better.

I suppose Jerry could've offered him $180-$185 million and saved himself $5-$10 million.... but rumor was Dak was wanting a 4 year deal (in 2020) so he could get an even bigger contract in 2024, now he has to wait until 2025.
    Last edited by Doomsday Dallas; 03-15-2021 at 06:12 PM.

Damn. A lot of money to the Cowboys triplets just to go 8-8. You Cowboys fans have low standards.

Facts Are Misleading

Quote Originally Posted by baudkarma View Post
    And what if he does prove himself? I'm assuming that the Cowboys worked him out and don't have any major concerns about his long-term health. If Dallas tags him in 2021 he counts 37.68 million against the cap, fully guaranteed. After the season, the Cowboys can either let him walk as an unrestricted free agent and get into bidding wars with every other team that thinks they're a QB away from being a contender, or they could franchise for the third season in a row. The cost of that third tag would be a little over $54 million. All fully guaranteed, and all counting directly against the 2022 cap.

Jerry Jones screwed up by not getting a deal in place with Dak after the 2019 season. He kept trying to "win" the negotiations by insisting on a five year deal, but Dak had all the leverage and wasn't going to budge off of four years. A deal signed after the 2019 season would have saved the Cowboys a few million.
    If he proves himself he probably goes for the same amount. They didn't get any kind of discount on this one. They paid the absolute most for someone of his caliber. He's the second highest paid player in the NFL right?

Facts Are Misleading

My whole thing is - and it's not wrong to disagree with me - but the history of Superbowl winners with these big QB deals as the foundation of the team is rare.

At the end of the day winning the chip should be all that matters. Im going to take out Brady because he routinely has taken way below market value for a player of his value.

Teams that have won on a rookie QB deal since they've changed the payout structure for rookies.

Flacco
    Roethlisberger
    Rodgers
    Wilson
    Wentz (even though the backup won the title the team was still on a rookie QB deal)

All of those teams are excellent up and down the roster. That's a lot easier, though still incredibly hard because of the flexibility a rookie QB gives the salary cap, especially these days.

I think the Cowboys were the perfect candidate to win on a rookie QB deal. They already have an elite supporting cast on offense to surround the QB and all the extra money AND draft assets they got for Dak would have bolstered the defense in one off season.

I know someone mentioned earlier that there wouldn't be a big trade market for Dak. That person is kidding themselves. He would have gotten the Cowboys a haul. GMs have showed over and over again how incompetent they are. Someone may have offered three firsts if they were desperate enough, like the Bears who probably feel like they are a top ten QB away from winning a title.

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Have fun paying an top 15 QB 40 mill a season when they couldn't win with him making 2mil. Even the Rams and Eagles cut bait from their franchise QBs because they were only average .

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    My whole thing is - and it's not wrong to disagree with me - but the history of Superbowl winners with these big QB deals as the foundation of the team is rare.

At the end of the day winning the chip should be all that matters. Im going to take out Brady because he routinely has taken way below market value for a player of his value.

Teams that have won on a rookie QB deal since they've changed the payout structure for rookies.

Flacco
    Roethlisberger
    Rodgers
    Wilson
    Wentz (even though the backup won the title the team was still on a rookie QB deal)

All of those teams are excellent up and down the roster. That's a lot easier, though still incredibly hard because of the flexibility a rookie QB gives the salary cap, especially these days.

I think the Cowboys were the perfect candidate to win on a rookie QB deal. They already have an elite supporting cast on offense to surround the QB and all the extra money AND draft assets they got for Dak would have bolstered the defense in one off season.

I know someone mentioned earlier that there wouldn't be a big trade market for Dak. That person is kidding themselves. He would have gotten the Cowboys a haul. GMs have showed over and over again how incompetent they are. Someone may have offered three firsts if they were desperate enough, like the Bears who probably feel like they are a top ten QB away from winning a title.
    I have been trying to promote this argument on this forum for years, and folks around here have almost universally treated me like im crazy

Not saying that the cowboys should have traded or let Dak walk... but theres no question that a QB overperforming their salary is highly correlated with superbowl wins (ignoring Brady)

In addition to the examples you mentioned, Mahomes was also on his rookie contract when the chiefs won.

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    IMO they're better off with an expensive but promising QB and zero cap room to improve their shitty defense, versus having a shit QB and enough cap space to sign two or three high end defensive free agents.
    I missed this the first time I was in this thread. You're describing the last 4 seasons of seahawks football, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
    I missed this the first time I was in this thread. You're describing the last 4 seasons of seahawks football, right?
    pretty sure its been more than 4 seasons

8-8-1

Banned

Dak is black!

You ppl better pray to the Almighty his foot and shoulder hold up for the entire season.

No excuses. Your team has too much talent to continually be shite

You Cowboy fakkets sure do have low standards when evaluating NFL talent.