Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Any of you into Nba top shot?

I’ve heard it mentioned by someone but didn’t find a real discussion.

https://www.nbatopshot.com/infographic

You “own” nba highlights without actually owning them. If you open a “pack” you might get a famous one which idiots will pay thousands for.

You only own it within the site itself. Yet....if you pulled say....a Jordan game winner...you might make insane money “selling it”.

Reasonable?

No.

But people make money off it.

Default Re: Any of you into Nba top shot?

Hell ****ing no. All this NFT ect stuff is a ridiculous fad. And if it's not, bring on the asteroid asap.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Very strange. I guess some people will bite though.

A Giannis rookie highlight went for 130 thousand.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    A Giannis rookie highlight went for 130 thousand.
    Later we will find out it was given to them by the site owner and it was used in a money laundering scheme.

3-time NBA All-Star

You “own” nba highlights without actually owning them. If you open a “pack” you might get a famous one which idiots will pay thousands for.

You only own it within the site itself. Yet....if you pulled say....a Jordan game winner...you might make insane money “selling it”.

Reasonable?

No.

It's legit. I know a guy who bought a couple packs and sold a couple players highlights for a few thousand. Made a good profit. Problem is there's a huge waiting list for packs and that's the best way to make money if you don't want to spend alot up front.

It's definitely gonna be big. Anyone saying otherwise dosn't know what they're talking about. I tried telling these fools on here a couple months ago to invest in cards and they all laughed. Prices have gone up about 5 times their value since that. I've been killing it. It's easy money tbh.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

hmm..

Who decides which "highlights" are included? I'm sceptical. Sounds a little amateurish TBH.

I'm not knocking the concept or the business model, I just question what is deemed "valuable" and "rare".

I think Jeff should start something similar, I'm sure we, the ISH people, could produce better highlight products.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44 View Post
    hmm..

Who decides which "highlights" are included? I'm sceptical. Sounds a little amateurish TBH.

I'm not knocking the concept or the business model, I just question what is deemed "valuable" and "rare".

I think Jeff should start something similar, I'm sure we, the ISH people, could produce better highlight products.
    It's actually a pretty foward thinking concept relatable the sports cards. As far as who deems it valuable qnd rare, the people aka the free market will ultimately have a say in that. The company can put highlights out and suggest what's rare and valuable but the market will decide what is and isn't. No different than sport cards. Panini will take a picture and throw it on a piece of card board and put a pretty silver boarder around it or make it a refractor and suggest that those cards are more valuable and rare. Most times it works and the market agrees but sometimes the market dosnt go with it.

It's the future of sports collectibles.

part of our blockchain future.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    It's actually a pretty foward thinking concept relatable the sports cards. As far as who deems it valuable qnd rare, the people aka the free market will ultimately have a say in that. The company can put highlights out and suggest what's rare and valuable but the market will decide what is and isn't. No different than sport cards. Panini will take a picture and throw it on a piece of card board and put a pretty silver boarder around it or make it a refractor and suggest that those cards are more valuable and rare. Most times it works and the market agrees but sometimes the market dosnt go with it.
    Meh still sounds uninteresting to me.

Rarity is a supply concept not demand.

I am probably missing the point tho. I probably mistake "rare highlight" as something that hasn't been seen.

The more I think about it I guess my assessment doesn't make great deal of sense in this context.

3-time NBA All-Star

Meh still sounds uninteresting to me.

Rarity is a supply concept not demand.

I am probably missing the point tho. I probably mistake "rare highlight" as something that hasn't been seen.

The more I think about it I guess my assessment doesn't make great deal of sense in this context.
    Yeah it actually sounds dumb to me too but i get the concept. What's really the difference between a video highlight that you own and a piece of card board that you own? Like me you naturally want to say a card is something real that you can hold but in this day and age you don't necessarily need that for value. Just look at bitcoin. As mucy as im not interested and prefer real cards the idea is pretty much the same.

Reasonable?

No.

yeah I have a friend who's already trying to get me on.

I still dont know enough to be interested and I know f*ck all about crypto, and little about investing overall really - guaranteed it is legit.

the concept sounds ridiculous to me too - almost from the mind of a fanboy - my boy is a smart guy and he's already putting money into this

if you have early moments from players that turn into legends later - you might have hit the jackpot

Just the same concept with any other collectibles.

But this seems too expensive for what it actually is.

I mean, who are these people dropping hundreds of thousands of $$ for something like this?

hmm..

As I understand it the “rarity” is as far as the kind of play, what player, and how famous it is.

In a world where a person pays 100k for the first highlight of Giannis’ career what is say....Jordan’s shot and first pump vs Cleveland worth if it’s the only copy?

In the real world the rights to such a clip would be worth millions on the open market. In this small world? It’s less than that but still insane for something you could potentially pull from a relatively cheap “pack”.

Another way to look at it....

If every highlight exists once....

Say Steph dunks all over Embiid tomorrow. If it’s the only truly nasty poster of his career....isn’t it more rare than say....a Dwyane Wade poster when there are 55 to pick from?

Or maybe the Manute Bol 6 three game. Only one of those. Nate blocking Lebron or Yao Ming.

Rare plays in a world with only one clip of each.

Its utterly fabricated value but....isn’t all currency? All money is only worth what we as a society decide to exchange for it. Gold is valuable because we decided it is. It does have scientific applications but it’s value....is humans deciding it’s valuable.

In a world physical copies of Bob Sura dunks are valued....they are money.

What I can’t understand is why care if it’s only unique inside the world in question and not in the real world. You can “own” a famous clip on this marketplace but I can still watch it elsewhere.

That part makes no sense to me.

But....it doesnt have to make sense....if it makes cents.

If I were to profit I wouldn’t care what tangible value I sold to the guy. **** him.

He can have my whole collection of rare Ben Simmons pull-up jumpers if he gives me money for a beach house.

I don't understand how you can "Own" a highlight though if I can just watch it. Are they going to start taking down youtube highlight videos now?

General rule of thumb if you are actually investing for the future: only invest in things that produce something. Otherwise you're just gambling.